Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Hi everyone!

I have recently had 3 people contact me that they get a 404 error when clicking on CJ or Linkshare links. I emailed them back that I don't know what they're talking about. Everyting works fine for me. But now I went over to my friends office. He has 3 computers. 2 have Kazza & Morpheus installed. 1 doesn't. The 2 that do have Kazza & Morpheus no linkshare or cj links were working on them. The 1 that did not have Kazaa & Mopheus installed the links did work on them.

P.S. BeFree & Performics links are not affected.

What's going on?

[This message was edited by Yikole on December 12, 2002 at 07:48 PM.]

Yet another reason not to install crap on your computer. Sounds like it is time for a fresh reinstall. Try using "F disk". I heard that will solve almost any problem.

Todd Crawford
    Commission Junction

quote:
    Originally posted by ToddCrawford, CJ.com:
    Yet another reason not to install crap on your computer. Sounds like it is time for a fresh reinstall. Try using "F disk". I heard that will solve almost any problem.

Todd Crawford
    Commission Junction

It's not my computer. What is "F disk"?

Aren't Kazza & Morpheus affiliates of CJ? I think they are. So CJ is supporting this crap. It looks like there is a very big problem here. Someone better look into it.

I think the problem here is that most people are not going to do a complete reinstall just because ads aren't showing up on websites that they visit. They don't care if the people that run those sites can't make money from ads that don't work. I hope that you know what is causing this problem so it can be resolved. I have seen several computers that have this exact same problem, and I'm worried that this problem is much bigger than anyone seems to believe. I think that this could have a greater negative effect on webmasters than scumware/spyware/theftware.

Ok, I have confirmed that Kazaa is causing the problem. So virtually MILLIONS of users are affected by this.

Kazaa blocks CJ & Linkshare links through the hosts file.

To undo that, a user would have to:

1) Click the start button | search | for files or
    folders
    2) Type in "hosts"
    3) The HOSTS file you're looking for should be in
    C:\Program Files\KaZaA Lite
    4) When you open it in Word (or whatever word
    processor you have), you should see a really long list
    of urls.
    5) Delete the following from the list.
    www.linkshare.com, linksynergy.com, cj.com,
    commission-junction.com, www.qksrv.com, qksrv.com.
    6) You might not be able to find all of those because
    I just listed them from memory. If you find something
    similar to the strings above, delete them.
    7) Save the HOSTS file
    8) Close your browser and try clicking the coupon link
    again.

Is there any program that will fix this problem for users automatically without having to go through all these instructions?

Yikole,

Great tip! This is better than reformating your disk.

Todd Crawford
    Commission Junction

quote:
    Originally posted by ToddCrawford, CJ.com:
    Yikole,

Great tip! This is better than reformating your disk.

Todd Crawford
    Commission Junction

Todd, what are the programmers & layers at CJ saying about this? You have to find a solution and fast. Otherwise, everyone will go down the drain.

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Put some teeth into that "Code of Conduct" section that requires BHO's to have easy & complete normal windows un-installs. Basically telling the Adware/spywarez affiliates and those posing as merchants all shoppers have the option to "take the HO out of the BHO".

While your at it Todd remind the parasites the criminal implications of placing secure shopping cart URLs in that database, which monitor Credit card and private consumer information only the real merchant has the right to access. Are the Thieving buggers seeking a way to swap affiliate ID's or plant theirs on all the cart purchases and steal the CC#'s while they're in where they don't belong.

Why even bother just boot all the "incent" dupers and affiliates from your ranks and the problem goes away.

WebMaster Mike

"Anyone can make a dollar, it is when you make sense that it starts to add up."...does your eBiz plan make sense?

[This message was edited by EcomCity.com on December 12, 2002 at 08:52 PM.]

Yikole,

quote:
    Kazaa blocks CJ & Linkshare links through the hosts file.

.... and Kazaa is now sponsored by who?!

Lets think about the rational a bit [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Haiko

The secret of success is constancy of purpose. ~ Disraeli

ABW Ambassador
    This is the ad blocking kazaa lite, not the official kazaa which is bundled with evil spyware, etc.

Now, both seem to be a threat to us. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img]

At one time at least kazaa lite had the bunkware removed, now, it blocks qwksrv and linksynergy through a 127.0.0.1 hosts entry. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img]

*sigh*

Was discussed in this thread posted by Look4.

BTW, I had the same idea as Drewbert. Ideally the images and clickthroughs would be served off of a different server (hostname).

ABW Ambassador
    Todd,

Fdisk ..? Thats a last resort ... And should NEVER be recommended to anyone. Even Newbies [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif[/img]

Dave

Seems like the parasites are biting CJ and Linkshare in the butt....Now, the lesson to be learned from this is....

Yep, the Law Of Three works again!

The Wolf Credo: Respect the elders. Teach the young. Cooperate with the pack. Play when you can. Hunt when you must. Rest in between. Share your affections. Voice your feelings. Leave your mark.

Has anyone tried contacting Kazaa Lite? It seems that their intention was to produce a Kazaa-clone that didn't have the ads and the scumware. Perhaps they thought they were helping people by automatically blocking all ads from certain networks. They have nothing to gain from blocking these ads, so maybe if people contact them and calmly explain how advertising is what keeps most websites running they will decide to remove this "feature" from new versions of their program. I guess they can't do anything about old versions that still block ads, that's an issue that CJ and the other networks need to address.

They could just release a new version that is exactly like the old one, just without the ad-blocking. Word will spread that a new version is available, and people will download it without even finding out why the new version is better. I remember when Napster sent "new version available" messages to everyone that had certain copyrighted songs in their shared folder. People downloaded it without question what it was, and it caused an error in their Napster program so they couldn't use it anymore.

I know Kazaa Lite really has no obligation to do this, but maybe they can be convinced by a large group of webmasters and ad networks. Just remind them that the problem with the regular Kazaa wasn't the ads, it was the programs bundled with it that switched the tracking code in regular website ads with tracking code from Kazaa.

PS- Just searched for Kazaa Lite, here's an email address I found:
    danceanthems@kazaalite.com
    If anyone finds any other relevant email addresses please post them.

I just reformated my PC in the last couple of days and one of the things I just put on was Kazaa lite. When I installed, I had 4 options:
    quote:
    This is the main program. It is a modified version of the original KaZaA. The difference is that it does not contain any spyware and adware. With this version it is also possible to download high quality mp3 files because the bitratelimit was removed.

- Speed Up (optional) -

This is an add-on tool for KaZaA Lite. It is a download accelerator, which automaticly searches for more sources to download from.

- Sig2Dat (optional) -

With this tool you can easily download verified files by clicking on a Sig2Dat hyperlink. This tool will automaticly create a partial download file for you, so you can download the exact same file without having to search for it yourself.

- Supertrick (optional) -

This is a method to block certain websites/servers using a small file called 'Hosts'. We have customized this file to block the KaZaA startup page, pop-ups in KaZaA and also a lot of advertising banners on other websites.

Note the last option "Supertrick".
    This is the option that is reulting in Ads being blocked.

Game on!!!!

ABW Ambassador
    I have just spent 15 minutes writting and email to explain that he supertrick is not good for users, not good for webmasters, not good for internet content, because it block users to go to sites instead of just blocking ADs.

Please if you are going to complaint about it in the futute, have some honor to write a personal msg to this guy with your personal point of view, not blaming, that would not be useful, but to explain that having some ADs in a site, is not the same that having invasive popups everywhere.

Sorry if many get ofended with this but, Let's get some idea about who here just talk and who DO real actions also.

Would be nice to hear about Actions...

Fer

quote:
    I have recently had 3 people contact me that they get a 404 error when clicking on CJ or Linkshare links. I emailed them back that I don't know what they're talking about. Everyting works fine for me. But now I went over to my friends office. He has 3 computers. 2 have Kazza & Morpheus installed. 1 doesn't. The 2 that do have Kazza & Morpheus no linkshare or cj links were working on them. The 1 that did not have Kazaa & Mopheus installed the links did work on them.

Could it be that the so called parasites may be re-acting to the new "Publisher's code of conduct" by blocking all links to the networks embrassing it?

Todd.

Could there be a way for CJ programmers to write us a script that will detect those "adblockers and deverters" and prevent the surfers using parasiteware from accessing our sites?

It's quite apparent that by blocking CJ ads, we all lose... BIG Time!

I for one don't like the idea of paying for bandwidth and having my customers turned off from my site because they get a pile of 404 errors.

It makes me, the webmaster look stupid as well. And what customer is going to believe my Sales PR if half my links don't even work. They're only going to get peeved off and leave my site, or worse, rape my site of information and not bother clicking on the ads.

My information is free, but only because the ads pay for my time and efforts.

It should be quite easy for CJ to have a Parasite warning page and instruct concerned surfers about the dangers of this spyware, and how to remove it.

We the publishers could have the script redirected to a stadard "Sorry No Trespassing" page, which explains to the surfer, that they have parasiteware on their computer. That this affects the proper working abilities of our website, and that we will not allow infected surfers on our site.

Then have a link that sends them to the CJ page explains the dangers and shows them how to remove the problem.

After all... We have nothing to lose. We can't get any sales out of infected surfers anyway. And all they do is eat up our bandwidth.

I hope this doesn't sound too stupid. But I would think that something along this line may work.

For publishers, a system like this could put us back into some type of control.

How many surfers are going to keep the software on their computer if half the sites they land on will not let them surf.

I can remember back in the old days of the "javascript virus scare". I had my cookies and java turned off because I was afraid of trojans wiping out my hard drives.

When java became more popular and a must in order to take advantage of most sites, I had to cave in and turn cookies and java back on.

The only other idea to combat this, that I can think of, is to ask Bill Gates to remove the "Plug-in" feature on his browser.

Cow Patch...

I think a redirect script is a great idea, as long as you include all the information that will help the visitor understand why they are being blocked and how they can fix it.

Since some webmasters won't have the time to set up this redirect script on all of their sites, you should also send an email to Kazaa Lite and tell them about this problem. If we all make enough noise we might be able to fix this.

PS- Here's another email address that I found, I think this person may have closer contact to the actual programmers than the first one I gave out.
    kazaalite@kazaalite.nl

15 years and counting
    CJ and LS are going to lose money on that. A lot of money. No more 30% for helping thieves to steal from our websites. They have been playing with fire and now they are getting the backdraft. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif[/img]
    Once again, we'll be losing our commissions, well I'm (we're) used to that but it will be harder for them.

It's not the big that eat the small... it's the fast that eat the slow. Jennings & Haughton

What do they expect? When you lay down with dogs, you rise up with fleas. CJ and all who supported and enabled parasites are going to get their comeuppance big time. If the parasites will scr*w us over, they won't mind doing the same to the networks. Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised to find CJ out of business in the next five years (maybe a whole lot less....closer to two years). Anyone want to start betting on the date CJ goes under? Handwriting is on the wall.

The Wolf Credo: Respect the elders. Teach the young. Cooperate with the pack. Play when you can. Hunt when you must. Rest in between. Share your affections. Voice your feelings. Leave your mark.

quote:
    Todd: Great tip! This is better than reformating your disk.

ROTFL [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Todd's absolutely right.. be VERY careful about what you install on your PC. There's seldom such a thing as a free lunch.

________
    Please leave my port 137 alone.

People need to be more careful about what they install on their machines. We are pretty incapable of telling each and every person on the net what they can and cannot do to their own machines. In some cases their decisions may not be in our best interests. I only hope that people on the net are computer literate enough to avoid bad situations. And as a last resort execute fdisk(then install linux), [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img].

Business Intelligence Analyst
    Commission Junction

quote:
    Yet another reason not to install crap on your computer.

Is this CJ's official position regarding Kazaa and Morpheus?

Dammit!!!

From the Kazaa website, "Over 160 million Kazaa Media Desktops downloaded so far... Over 3.1 million downloaded last week...".

ABW Ambassador
    quote:
    Seems like the parasites are biting CJ and Linkshare in the butt....Now, the lesson to be learned from this is....

Hmmm.

The replies from the CJ people are so funny! 'Fdisk, no reformat, people should be careful what they install, use linux'. Yeah, right!

It is going to be a Battle Royale between each network's pet parasite:

In the green and yellow trunks (CJ) we have eBates MMM ....

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast