Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    This week is just hopping!

Hundred dollar days are becoming ordinary!

This is unreal! I am stunned. Is this going to last? When does the bubble burst? Will my friends still like me?

I am spending like a drunken sailor. Must stop.
    Comments are opinion unless otherwise noted. Remember, pillage first. Then burn. Half of all people in the world have IQs under 100. You best learn to trust ol' SSanf!

Hey San,

That's Great news.
    I can't wait to say the same thing someday in the near future. Old projects are moving along fine I just wish the new ones would start making some $$$.

I hope it last for a long time. Have fun spending.

Spider Man

Congratulations, SSanf!!

I'm still waiting for that to happen to me. I've had some great times, but those are still few and far between, rather than the norm....

Congrats Sandra isn't it nice when everything grows!

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    >>This is unreal! I am stunned. Is this going to last? When does the bubble burst?

"Burst" isn't really accurate (unless something catastrophic happens and interferes with the natural cycle).

It's more like the tides--sometimes high, sometimes low. Enjoy the high water, but don't let your finances get to where you're counting on it...

>>Will my friends still like me?

Your REAL friends will still like you.

Some other people will become jealous and turn on you. Unfortunately, some of the jerks will probably be people who seemed friendly before.

On the other hand, people who wouldn't give you the time of day before will suddenly act real nice!

Once it all settles, who's a real friend should become clear again.

>>I am spending like a drunken sailor. Must stop.

That's dangerous!!! Always keep enough of a wad of cash saved to choke a horse. It's the only true insurance against algo changes, hosting upheavals, and good merchants going bad.

Financial advice columns suggest keeping at least 6 months of dough saved, and some suggest 1 year's worth. I'd say they're right on. It's not that it'd take that long to fix most things that come up. But with that much cash saved, you can deal with things in a calm, clear-headed state.

If you can spend a lot and still keep that nice big wad in the bank, then go for it...
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

I know how you feel! This is my 7th month as an affiliate and I'm right about where you are. I can't wait to surpass my salary!!
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

Leader and all thanks for good wishes and very sound advise. I, fortunately, am not running up debt, just paying cash, so a quick cut back is doable.

I wish EVERYONE found something like this. Not this, who needs the competition, but like this.

That friends thing is a real concern. Leader was canny enough to pick up on that was what was really on my mind. I don't know how she does it.

When we go into this business, it engenders a lot of changes. Giving up secure jobs, impact on friends and family as a stay at home worker and many other things. This board is an amazing source of support. I am so glad that we don't have to be just talking about the sites but the whole impact of what we do.

Back to the friends thing, if you have more money than your friends, it is hard NOT to spend it in such a way that they won't know that you have been spending. And, no matter how much they may like you, if they are struggling, it makes them feel bad, not because they don't wish you well, not because they aren't happy for you but because things are still tough for them. It is hard to share a friends enjoyment over a 15th new sweater when your own kids need shoes.

And, even if you are willing and want to buy shoes for your friends kids, they will resent you if you do. It hurts their dignity.

I have had this problem before and don't know how to handle it.

Between the site doing better and some other windfall, I can see this starting to happen, again, and it makes me sad.

My mother always advised me that it was best to make friends among people who are roughly in the same place economically so everyone could either enjoy griping together or enjoy the spending together. But, that is hard when your ecomomics change rapidly. You can't change real friends rapidly.

Further, if your friends have skills, of course you will hire them to do jobs you need done to keep the money in the community. Imagine how they would feel if you hired someone else. But, that changes the entire relationship. Now, you are the BOSS even if it is only implied. Yes, they are glad for the work and the money but it sure changes things especially when you need to make corrections.

If this keeps up, I see I will have to broaden my social circle once again. And, I hate doing that. I like stability.
    Comments are opinion unless otherwise noted. Remember, pillage first. Then burn. Half of all people in the world have IQs under 100. You best learn to trust ol' SSanf!

Never, ever hire a real friend because they won't be for long. 99% of friendships can't survive the massive change in dynamic.

Hire acquantances or recommendations from trusted friends - it's the best way to go.

SandraR: stop bragging.

Affiliate Manager AffiliateBuddha's Avatar
    Ssanf,

Great to see you are finally getting affiliate marketing to work for you! congrats!
    Gift Shopping Zone Affiliate Program on SAS - 10% per sale with unlimited cookie duration, over 10,000 products.

Don't forget to set money aside for the tax man and retirement.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Congrat Ssanf. You think you feel good now... wait till you get an extra digit of income per day.
    [font=verdana][b][size=3][color=red]Are you familiar with [URL]MaxBounty.com[/URL] yet?[/color][/b][/size][/font][font=verdana][b][size=1][color=black]
    Over 120 merchants with CPA/CPS programs seeking affiliates
    Over 4500 network publishers seeking programs to advertise
    Earn $100 per merchant and 5% per affiliate on the second tier [/b][/color][/size][/font]

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Never, ever hire a real friend because they won't be for long. 99% of friendships can't survive the massive change in dynamic. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I disagree. It can take work, but in the long run having someone you have trust in before you go into business with makes all the difference. I rarely make a major site by myself. I work with the guy across the hall from me I met first year in college, another is a friend for 20 years, another is... it goes on. To be able to have that inherent trust that they will not just try and take your money (and vice-versa) makes a huge difference, with the added bonus of working with friends.

Just make sure to have a solid agreement with them. Always, always, always, go into any business relationship with anyone as if you are sworn enemies and make the contracts/agreements very clear. Having that, where everyone knows where they stand also lends some stability to the relationship. Don't act like you are just hiring a friend on a lark, if they are contracting for you, make clear goals and milestones and hold them to it. It is like raising a child, being too soft and easy will come back and bite you in the long run.

I just had to respond to that comment because I have seen that so many times here. And I can honestly say, having friends I do this with really is rewarding beyond the money.

Chet

Nobody feels bad when you pay your mortgage off early, put money in your IRA and trickle a few hundred a month into investments. Who needs 15 new sweaters anyway?

And definitely, sock some money away. One of the programs my wife and I worked with recently shut down and our combined income went from very nice to next to nothing. Now we're rebuilding from ground zero. Thankfully, we saved money while times were good just in case that ever happened and didn't get too deep in debt with big expenditures.

It's stressful to start over, but comforting to know the bills are paid for the next 8 months if need be.

Congrats and good luck with your success!
    Eathan Mertz

Black Cat Mining - Gold Prospecting & Rockhounding Equipment

Wow, congrats! I can hardly wait until my site sees that kind of income...crossing my fingers that it will anyway!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by SandraR:
    Congrats Sandra isn't it nice when everything grows!

http://www.ssan.com/ecards/pix/Adult.../590061566.jpg <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Now I wonder if I can sell that girl a back brace

ABW Ambassador
    WTG SSANF!! ,

Great result! I am very happy for you.

DPG

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by SSanf:
    This is unreal! I am stunned. Is this going to last? When does the bubble burst? Will my friends still like me? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I know you were sort of kidding . . on the square . . but, You really never know . . Don't ever tell your friends how well you are doing!

I made that mistake and wondered why my best friend for the past 30 years seemed to be drifting away. She finally admitted to me that it was because, as she put it, . ."You're in a whole different league now."

Just tell your friends that things are going OK and leave it at that.

Spend your new found wealth in ways which will not intimidate your friends so much (they'll never know about it). Double up on your house payments to get your home paid off, diversify your portfolio . . buy a couple of income properties and invest in some [safe] stocks . . and as MichaelColey said: "Don't forget to set money aside for the tax man and retirement."

Herb Ô¿Ô¬ said "stop bragging". Better to brag in here than to your friends! Besides it gives everyone else here more incentive.

<span class="ev_code_RED">YOU GO GIRL!</span>

ABW Ambassador
    Interesting issues about friendship...

Fast tricks...

"I am in a good moment, but I don't have a job, revenue can stop tomorrow, so It's just a temporal good time..."

"I don't spend in [rental/big things/ fixed spends/medicla/etc], so I spend a little mor ein small luxuries"

"Oh, I am so insecure about my future..."

"I just got some good luck, it's just good luck for me these days"

By the way if you don't spend in cars or those very visible things, then all small luxiries are seen by different people and are not such aproblem, who knows that I go to restaurants 4 times a week instead of one?
    Fer(nando) - US & EU Marketing

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by IDoEyes:

_Herb Ô¿Ô¬ _said "stop bragging". Better to brag in here than to your friends! Besides it gives everyone else here more incentive.

<span class="ev_code_RED">_YOU GO GIRL!_</span> <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

IDOEyes -

That was for Sandra's ecard photo and it was hilarious ..

SSANF's -

CONGRATS!!! I hope to be in your league someday soon . .Keep going!!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Nobody feels bad when you pay your mortgage off early, put money in your IRA and trickle a few hundred a month into investments. ~Eathan <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Haven't been around any po' folks in a while have you?

Broke-mindset people w*rking some hard job to just *make* the mortgage payment, have lights & heat on and eat--much less invest anything--are NOT really all that happy to find someone affording to do what you suggest. They do feel bad. Left behind, hopeless, jealous...

They also try to spread the misery (misery loves company, especially miserable company), so I try to stay away from people with the "perpetually broke" mindset.

~~~~~~~~~~~

The thing is, that mindset is often at the root of the problem for those broke people. They attack anyone doing better (or trying to do better), and think up things that they claim are "better" about being poor. They may even say that money is evil!

With that attitude, they end up constantly sabotaging themselves. From wasteful, uneconomical spending on things like single-load detergent packs, to spending $50/week on the Lotto instead of on *real* investments, these people make damned sure they stay broke! And they DO know better, and they DO have choices as to what to spend on--that's what makes me so sure it's their mindset that's at fault. The money would come to them if they'd only allow it to!

Personally I think people with that mindset should be avoided like a corrosive acid. If people like that won't be friends, consider it a badge of honor!

Wow, this thread certainly took an interesting turn. I love the support everybody's offering and the advice. I'm getting to the point where I need to stop giving my friends a play-by-play of my online monthly income. It's been fun sharing the excitement of starting up, but now I realize it's time to get serious and only tell those who need to know. I'm just happy I have ABW to report my excitement to, otherwise I'd go nuts having nobody to boast to!

This really has been an amazing 6 months. I'm a full time programmer working a full time j*b making a very decent salary, but I'm really close to the point where I can quit. Some people might think I'm crazy quitting a $50k/year j*b, but I've really learned the value of my own time. My time is finally more valuable to me than anybody else.

Just give me a couple more months and I'll be joining your ranks of home employment!! Now I just need to make sure I keep my lips sealed for now.
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> I need to stop giving my friends a play-by-play of my online monthly income. It's been fun sharing the excitement of starting up, but now I realize it's time to get serious and only tell those who need to know. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yep, that is the hard part. It is like you can't be open with people any more. They get tired of hearing it and at a certain point it becomes damaging.

Thank the Goddess and what deities that be for ABW. Here we can be ourselves.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Haven't been around any po' folks in a while have you? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

What I meant was, nobody knows those things are going on unless you tell them. They aren't obvious like a new boat, new car, jewelry, etc.

My first 4+ years online were with failing dotcom start-ups. My take home per year was between $6k and $11k. I know the mindset you're talking about very well.

You feel like you're supposed to be poor and anyone who isn't is damn lucky/has some unfair advantage/probably looks down their nose at you/etc. That's about the least productive way to look at things as possible, but it happens.

Thankfully, I pulled out of it a few years ago and started making things go much better from then on...
    Eathan Mertz

Black Cat Mining - Gold Prospecting & Rockhounding Equipment

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Thankfully, I pulled out of it a few years ago and started making things go much better from then on... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Great! It's always good to hear of someone raising themselves from that mire!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast