Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Affiliate Links Not Working on Certain PC's/Browsers
    Been doing AM for about a year, just launched a new website and the results are just not there, I am getting about 25% of the clicks/sales that I expected. I have been pulling my hair out the past week trying to find the problem.

For me, on all my pc's, my site and links work great, but I sent some friends to my site and for some the affiliate link takes them to 'page could not be found' error. I simply have no idea what is causing this.

What causes the affiliate ulrs to work on some browsers/pc's but not on others?

If this just a firewall issue, is there any way around it?

Does anyone have any idea what % of clicks get blocked by peoples firewalls?

Is it best to have a pop-up with a url to my site and then have it redirect to the affiliate site? or a direct link taking over my site, or just a normal new window link?

thanks!

Hiya ..

I recommened you download and use a Debugger tool to trace out whats going on exactly when you click on "xyz" link ..

I recommened the following Free HTTP Debugging tool:
    Fiddler2

Can be found here:
    http://www.fiddler2.com/fiddler2/

-----
    Download / Install

Have it running, then click on the link and inside the fiddler screen it will show you all the URLs, all the images, everything thats happening...

This should assist with tracking down what maybe the issue ...
    OpA! Giasou Ti kanies!

thanks. I tried it out. it is going from my affiliate url: tkqlhce. com.... -->

to some unknown.

apmebf. com/... -->

to another unknown.

emjcd. com/.... -->

to my affiliates site.

as I said it works for me on pc, I am not sure what these other ulrs are, but i checked my competitors site and they have the same unknown urls going on too. so I guess I need to have this running on a pc /browser that has a problem with the affiliate links to find the problem?
    Last edited by BurgerBoy; May 23rd, 2010 at 08:57 AM. Reason: unlinked

http and a telephoto
    Fiddler is great for tracing what is going on, give it a try.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Affiliate Manager
    You must check if the domain or the server has some kind of filter, like location filter or IP filter for example.

Good Luck

There have been past instances of OpenDNS, SpyBot S&D, Norton and other AV and security utilities blocking various CJ and other affiliate related domains. A few months ago AVG erroneously blocked access to Linkshare and CJ domains.

The domains that you listed above are all CJ domains (a mod needs to unlink and obfuscate them) and it is quite possible that some overzealous utility is again targeting CJ. Check to see if any of the systems in question have any utilities in common and use Fiddler as recommended above to see exactly what's happening.

-rematt
    "I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." - Richard Nixon

Quote Originally Posted by Victoria B View Post
    You must check if the domain or the server has some kind of filter, like location filter or IP filter for example.

Good Luck
    It is my dedicated server, and I dont have any filters like that setup. plus my site works for everyone, just the affiliate links dont so I dont think its a filter like that.

Affiliate Manager
    Quote Originally Posted by moneymm View Post
    It is my dedicated server, and I dont have any filters like that setup. plus my site works for everyone, just the affiliate links dont so I dont think its a filter like that.
    I suppose you know how to build an affiliate link so I discard that option... Am I right?

Which is your provider?

Defender of Truth, Justice and the Affiliate Way
    rematt was dead on with his response. It is some software and/or settings on the computers of your friends who got the 404.

Any type of sniffer program (like Fiddler) would have to be run on their computer, not yours.

An easier first step might be to have them send you a screenshot of the 404 page so we can see what domain the 404 is happening on.

Defender of Truth, Justice and the Affiliate Way
    Another thought is to have your friends do a trace route from their computer to the tkqlhce. com (the domain used on your affiliate link) and then copy and paste the results to you.

It could be a routing point in their path to the CJ servers is down.

thanks, I have him installing logmein when he gets back to his PC later. then I will run fiddler on it.

okay, on his pc before installing fiddler this was the IE error. (URL is 100% correct)

Oops! Internet Explorer could not connect to www.tkqlhce. com

after installing fiddler.

[Fiddler] Connection to www.tkqlhce. com failed.
    Exception Text: No connection could be made because the target machine actively refused it 127.0.0.1:80

in fiddler, it says result is 502

I also notice he has AVG on his PC. if that is the cause, then does that simply mean every who has AVG running cant get CJ links?
    Last edited by BurgerBoy; May 24th, 2010 at 07:57 AM. Reason: unlink

Affiliate Manager
    No... AVG is not responsible.

the 502 error, is a non agreement on the protocol for exchanging data between the the upstream server and the gateway. I guess the problem is on your friends PC.

The best way to check is to Open an IP socket connection to that IP address.

Good Luck!

how do I do that? what ip address?

Affiliate Manager
    Tell me which kind of operating system your friend is running?

If by any chance is Winxp sp2 or sp3 check if ISA is installed?

Quote Originally Posted by rematt View Post
    The domains that you listed above are all CJ domains (a mod needs to unlink and obfuscate them)
    Moderator Note: It's fine to use masked CJ domains now. I removed that restriction about six months ago. They've been around for years. They're no secret anymore. Anyone who is going to block the domains already knows what they are and is already doing it.

[Fiddler] Connection to www.tkqlhce. com failed.

Exception Text: No connection could be made because the target machine actively refused it 127.0.0.1:80
    If it's equating the CJ domain to 127.0.0.1, that's almost definitely a modification that's been done in the HOSTS file. Here's how to fix it:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/972034
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Quote Originally Posted by Victoria B View Post
    Tell me which kind of operating system your friend is running?

If by any chance is Winxp sp2 or sp3 check if ISA is installed?
    windows 7.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelColey View Post
    [mod]

If it's equating the CJ domain to 127.0.0.1, that's almost definitely a modification that's been done in the HOSTS file. Here's how to fix it:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/972034
    I am not really concerned about fixing it on my friends pc. I am concerned about a large % of my customers potentially having the same issue.

Did your friend modify his HOSTS file on his computer? Like Michael said, that looks like a "redirect" to localhost.

i doubt it, he really doesnt know much about pcs, its a new pc w/ windows 7, and he has AVG installed.

I turned off windows firewalls, and AVG, and still getting the same error..

Okay, the link above worked. thanks for that.

So does this mean it was 100% a unique modifcation that my friend did to his PC? and i will not have this issue with 99.9% of my users?

Okay, the link above worked. thanks for that.

So does this mean it was 100% a unique modifcation that my friend did to his PC? and i will not have this issue with 99.9% of my users?
    Do you know if your friend did do a modification to this file for sure?

He is not around till later today, but as I said this a fairly new pc, and he doesnt know much about stuff like that.

I am not really concerned about fixing it on my friends pc. I am concerned about a large % of my customers potentially having the same issue.
    You need to determine what the real issue is on your friends PC before you can access any additional damage. By isolating the issue you can determine how your friend blocked CJ's domains. If it was caused by an overzealous security application, then contacting the applications publisher may prompt them to provide an update as in the case of AVG. But whatever the cause, you can't fix what you don't know.

-rematt
    "I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." - Richard Nixon

He is not around till later today, but as I said this a fairly new pc, and he doesnt know much about stuff like that.
    Then I doubt that he would have just been randomly altering his HOSTS file. I had an issue like this with Norton once, so it could be AVG.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast