Grandma broke her coccyx! Uncle Rico's Avatar
    Check Fraud
    I logged into my bank account yesterday morning to schedule some bill pays. I noticed a check had come in the day before. It looked odd because of the check number. I write a few checks per month and they are in the 1000 check number range. This check was in the 7000 check number range.

I clicked on the check to see an image of it and boy was I shocked. The check had some other person's name on the check. I was thinking why in the world did my bank withdraw the money from my account for this check written by some other person. I then looked closer and noticed the account number on the check was the same as mine. It was written to Bed Bath & Beyond on May 17th.

The check has a drivers license number written in on it by the cashier at Bed, Bath, & Beyond I imagine. It appears this person created a phony check using the numbers off of my check, but the check had the name of a different bank on it. I really don't write a lot of checks so it is very odd this happening.

I talked to the bank yesterday and they closed my account and switched me to a new account within a few minutes. Luckily that was the only fraudulent check that came in and it was only for $200. I have to go into the branch on Monday to fill out something to get that $200 back.

As far as investigation, the bank says they will contact Bed Bath & Beyond to inform them of the bad check they accepted and get the money back from them and leave it there. I would like to see the putz doing this put in jail but it sounds like that won't happen.

Wow that is scary.

To think that you can have checks printed without a security check is kinda scary.

When I have to order a contacts online, they always go and verify that I have an active ion for my eyes otherwise it's not filled. Perhaps the check printers should verify that indeed such account belongs to such person at such address? Something is wrong with this picture :scratch head:

http and a telephoto
    I'm sorry, but *your* bank shouldn't have accepted the check at all! The bank name and customer name didn't match the account number and THAT should have alerted the bank that this was not a legitimate check. Bed Bath and Beyond doesn't have a clue that it isn't the right bank etc, but your bank should have stopped the process as soon as they received that check.

It's really scary if banks are just taking the read of the numbers at the bottom and aren't verifying the other info on checks.... I wouldn't want that info getting out their either, so whoever your bank is needs to tighten up their check security!

Also, if they have the driver's license number, then they can get that person's license blocked from being able to write checks at the places that actually have to enter the DL # into a verification system.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

SEO: A Specialty - Web Design: Slow or outsourced andbeyond's Avatar
    The Call is coming from Inside the House!
    The banks should be checking signatures is how careful they are supposed to be.

This is very far from that level.

Banks always pick speed over security. It hurts people that dont balance their checkbooks.

I don't know the process once Bed Bath & Beyond takes the check and how it ends up back at my bank. I assume there is no human intervention, otherwise they would have realized they were handling a check that had the name of a different bank clearly on the front of the check.

Quote Originally Posted by SeymourButts View Post
    I assume there is no human intervention, ....
    Exactly. Once it's deposited it's probably never touched by a human again. It's scanned and filed. Nobody compares anything. A computer picks up the numbers and deducts the money from your account.

The days of somebody at your bank physically looking at a check to ensure that it's real are long gone. Unless it's a person cashing it (not depositing it) at your bank.
    :rankn-scp John - This is our chosen profession. This is our way. This is what we do.

Quote Originally Posted by JCSupSvc View Post
    The days of somebody at your bank physically looking at a check to ensure that it's real are long gone. Unless it's a person cashing it (not depositing it) at your bank.
    Yeah at the bank they now require your thumbprint on checks over $50, but retailers just don't know what to look for when it comes to fraud. If their little approval scan says take it, they take it.

Glad to hear you'll get your money back Seymour. That's a headache you sure don't need right now.
    leeann

Shoppers determine what has value and they like coupons. Stop manipulating who set the cookie just because you do not like coupon and promotional sites.

Quote Originally Posted by JCSupSvc View Post
    Exactly. Once it's deposited it's probably never touched by a human again. It's scanned and filed. Nobody compares anything. A computer picks up the numbers and deducts the money from your account.

And keep in mind that that faster that money gets deposited to the receiving bank, the sooner the interest begins to accrue. Here is a short video of one of those "automated" machines, dubbed Eagle, working their technology fingers to the bone. The only human intervention is stacking the paperwork into the machine and attending to removing whatever is left over - mailing envelopes, invoices, canceled checks...

This represents an entire industry unto itself: http://www.opex.com/eagle_video.php

The vast numbers of checks changing hands every day make it physically impossible for humans to keep up with the transactions.
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

I knew someone that worked at a bank 15 years ago. They got stuck looking at signatures on checks for checks coming in. I am not sure if it was some checks, or all, or a temporary thing.

You know if there are captcha busting programs there should be image recognition programs running on the bank name, persons name, and signature before it gets approved.

I guess they probably tried this and didnt like the false positives or the slower machine speeds.

I called to file a police report for check fraud over the phone and they are sending an officer to my house.

Defender of Truth, Justice and the Affiliate Way
    I would like to see the putz doing this put in jail but it sounds like that won't happen.
    Nothing to stop you from filing a complaint with your local law enforcement.

I had a friend whose employee stole some of his checks and went on a spending spree. Bank processed all of them. While they reimbursed the charges, that was all they were willing to do. My friend had to report it to the police and they picked the guy up.

I doubt you are the only one who has been victimized by this person.

Defender of Truth, Justice and the Affiliate Way
    Crosss posted.

Good for you! These idiots get away with it because most times it isn't reported.

It's not a lot of money were talking about but it's the principle of it. Most people don't feel they have the time to go through the process, but not me. I have all the time in the world to do what I can to assist in catching this POS.

Network Rep & ABW Ambassador Carolyn - ShareASale's Avatar
    Just curious, was this one of the major banks? I have had more issues with my main bank (a global one), than with accounts at community banks. Stories like these make me think about moving all my stuff closer to home.

The fraudulent check looks like a Bank of America check, but with the routing/account numbers from my local bank that is not a global bank.

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by SeymourButts View Post
    It's not a lot of money were talking about but it's the principle of it.
    Exactly.

Most people wouldn't bother to spend time to file a police report as long as they get their money back. That's how the criminals get away from being caught and keep doing it again and again.

You would think banks sould at least ensure some basic security check such as name, account number, signature...

I went to my bank last week to get some cash. At the counter, I gave a teller my ATM card and said I need some cash. She asked me how much I want. I said $300. She took my ATM card, swiped it, and handed me the cash...She didn't even ask for my pin or my driver license!

I walked out of the bank and wondered(still wondering) what if somebody find or steal my ATM card, all he/she need to do is to walk into the bank...

Most people wont do that. I think if you walk in a bank and commit a crime it is a federal felony.

And there are always cameras....

Most people go shopping or fill up everyones gas tank they know.

18. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread