http and a telephoto
    WordPress and Ecommerce - Case Study as We Go Along
    OK, in another couple of threads people were asking about WordPress and eCommerce and should you use it for eCommerce or can you ..... etc.....

Well, I know a lot of folks that would probably like to add selling their own products without installing a big bloated confusing shopping cart. Some want to sell things they make or can make or sell downloads. This isn't an ad for any particular plugin, there are several, but it happens to be the plugin I choose to test.

This plugin is free, has paid upgrades, and accepts Google Payments and PayPal. There is a small support forum, and I purchased a paid upgrade to add buy now buttons to the NextGen gallery. I happen to know a lot of people that would like to sell their photos as prints or as stock, and this could be an easy way to get started.

There are 2 sites I am going to use to showcase, one with NextGen gallery and the WP e-commerce plugin with the paid upgrade to add the Buy Now button and one that will be just WP e-commerce. It will be a good test.

The one with NextGen gallery and the buy buttons is:
    http://gardengoodies.net

This one is an aged domain that has had a bunch of iterations. The original plan was always to post garden info with affiliate links (that didn't convert well) and also drive traffic to my CafePress stores that had garden themed products. For a time it was just redirected to CafePress and didn't have a stand alone site at all.

Then I purchased a site and theme with some gardening articles and even had some rss feeds syndicated. That was never the intent of that site though, the intent was to sell my garden focused art and photos, so there were also posts from the Loxly Gallery RSS.

I have a ton of images that I wanted to share online and possibly start selling and didn't want to add to Loxly Gallery because it is so big already, and because I felt it was time to test some things that other people can use to create sites they could sell from. So for the past couple of weeks I have been building and testing the galleries and found the WP e-commerce plugin and the upgrade to simply add a buy now button to NextGen. It took some extra fiddling with the code to get things to work but it works. The site is still in development and if it's useful to others, I'll post updates on how it works here.

The next site is going to be another experiment: http://cool-birds.com

The focus of this site is birding and posting photos of birds. We of course (Vinny and I) want a place to post our own images of birds, not all needed to be available as prints, but just to share. So the site will be heavily NextGen gallery, with a plugin installed to allow others to upload images as well. We will have prints for sale also, but separate from the gallery and just using WP e-commerce.

Cool Birds *may* turn into a community site via BuddyPress, but I am going to work it with just WP 3.0 for a while until I figure more out about how I want to display the thousands of images we have of many types of birds from both the East and West coast. WP 3.0 with separate sections for specific types of birds may be the way to go, but I also don't want it to be fragmented.

So there you have it, ask questions, share what you are doing with WP and Ecommerce plugins.... It may not be directly related to affiliate marketing, but it is related to blogging and building sites that make money....
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Loxly. Any updates on this? I'm interested in hearing how WP ecommerce plugin is working out. I read reviews that says its good, but then alot of the comments talk about how bad it is. I'm building a webpage for a family member who is selling 1 product. I don't need a ton of features, just something simple.

http and a telephoto
    I haven't had as much time to play with this as I would have liked. It appears to work great, however I was helping someone that wanted to run an affiliate program with it and the paypal return to the confirmation page wasn't working right.

I got a lot of negative feedback on the GardenGoodies.net implementation, I haven't been able to figure out how to change the size of the Buy button to make it more visible and I had feedback that some people couldn't see the buy button at all.

If you only have one product to sell, and don't need an affiliate program, I would simply use a Paypal button and not deal with a shopping cart. If you need download management, then I would use the e-Commerce cart to manage the downloads.

I would love to hear from others that have used this. What specifically did you hear wasn't working?

http and a telephoto
    Cool-birds.com is live but I haven't added anything for sale to it. I am planning to offer prints, ebooks and possibly downloads of images. I'm going to make it a reference site that has a "shop" on it.

Domain Addict / Formerly known as elbowcreek Thomas A. Rice's Avatar
    Ran across an interesting theme, www.markettheme.com , they have an affiliate program, even.
    Following everyone else is a GREAT way to become average.

http and a telephoto
    I think I saw that yesterday, took a quick look. Will take a deeper look at it.

I would like to see some other ecommerce that would work right within NextGen... Let me know if anyone comes across any.
    Last edited by loxly; July 14th, 2010 at 04:24 PM.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

I like e-commerce.. although the documentation isn't always clear. Lucky Google always has the answers for me. I am having trouble getting it to calculate sales tax correctly. This store is based out of NJ and should only calculate sales tax for NJ residents. How are you finding the sales tax with ecommerce?

8. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread