Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    Grower Flowers - Another bad merchant
    The nitty gritty:

The flower merchant I've been promoting on my site, Grower Flowers (recommended by Haiko a few years ago), sent my mother 2 of the lamest flower arrangements that were not worth half the price my sister and I paid for each of them. Of course they were delivered by a "local" florist but they were standard $10 grocery store flowers that cost (on his site) $60 per arrangement.

I sent an email to the merchant letting him know the flowers were sub-par and that I wasn't going to recommend them to my site visitors anymore because of this. This clown responds by REMOVING me from the aff program - effectively killing all the links on my site (HUNDREDS!), my stats, reports AND aff cookies.

I wrote him back immediately, asking him not to remove my affiliation because of links and cookies. He did anyway. Stupid vindictive schmuck. It's an in-house program so I'm basically powerless to do anything.

The worst part is that I feel I have been misleading my visitors by recommending Grower Flowers for the past 2 years. I've spent the past 48 hours trying to frantically replace all the links on my site to theirs. Being an in-house program, the links are all directing to their site still, even though my affiliate referral has been cut off.

Merchants like this give in-house programs a bad name. They can act as unprofessionally as they want and answer to no one.
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

Quote Originally Posted by Rexanne View Post
    Merchants like this give in-house programs a bad name. They can act as unprofessionally as they want and answer to no one.
    Yes, it really does do that and this is the perfect example as to why people stay clear of in-house prgms.

Sorry your gift to your mother was such a disappointment
    leeann

Shoppers determine what has value and they like coupons. Stop manipulating who set the cookie just because you do not like coupon and promotional sites.

Thanks for the heads up about them! Bad news, but another reason to always check in at ABW.
    Renée
    Pay no attention to that woman behind the curtain. -Wizardress of Oz

Grower Flowers sure like a poor choice...
    Awww, geeze, Rexanne. Sorry to hear about that Grower Flowers merchant providing such lousy products and then being such a scammer to an affiliate. As Renée says - it is always good to search ABW when researching a merchant. I now know that when I need to add a flower merchants that I will stay away form dirty players like GrowerFlowers. And I know I'll never click on a GrowerFlowers.com affiliate link.
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

That such a cruel action by Grower Flowers. Grower Flowers is now on ABW for tens of thousands of people to see what they're all about.

Just got an email today saying they've reinstated my account. *sigh*

If I was a flower merchant, I'd want to know that my choice of flower providers was sending crappy product, not jump to remove an affiliate's account.

I'm still flipped that I've been recommending this merchant to my site visitors which threatens my credibility. I'm usually very careful about merchants I recommend. I guess we need to place orders with each and every one of the merchants we're thinking of promoting before we dare recommend them if our reputations matter to us. Mine certainly matters to me. Relying on recommendations from trusted sources did not work.
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com

ABW Ambassador
    "I sent an email to the merchant letting him know the flowers were sub-par and that I wasn't going to recommend them to my site visitors anymore because of this."

Weren't you going to remove them anyway?

ABW Ambassador
    Exactly.

That's the main reason I try to stay away from indy programs as much as possible. I've only worked with a hand full of indy programs in years. All of them either with very good reputation or I've personally talked to their owner or affiliate managers.

If a merchant has both indy program and program with network, I go for the network program. It's always safer when a third party involved. At least you have somewhere to file a complaint.

I feel your frustration, Rexanne.

Say no and run away!

Outsourced Program Manager TrishaLyn's Avatar
    Wow, talk about too little too late. Any capable AM should know that you'd immediately remove all your links once denied reinstatement the first time. It amazes me...

I hope you replaced them all with a better flower merchant!
    Trisha Lyn Fawver

@TrishaLyn | My Managed Merchants

Quote Originally Posted by TrishaLyn View Post

I hope you replaced them all with a better flower merchant!
    I've replaced 95% as I found them but if the current merchant is better remains to be seen. :-) As discussed in another current thread about Proflowers, finding a good flower merchant is not easy.
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com

Quote Originally Posted by Trust View Post
    "I sent an email to the merchant letting him know the flowers were sub-par and that I wasn't going to recommend them to my site visitors anymore because of this."

Weren't you going to remove them anyway?
    Yes, but deleting my account killed my cookies, my access to reports and it will take me weeks to find all the links on my pages so they will have the benefit of "back links" (in house - direct links to the merchant) and free traffic. It was just a nasty and vindictive thing to do and not at all warranted or professional, IMO.

Do you see it otherwise, Trust? If yes, please enlighten me because to me, it was all wrong.
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com

Based on their actions, Grower Flowers is not a merchant I would want to do business with on any level; as a consumer or affiliate. I expect most REPUTABLE merchants to show some concern when they receive a complaint from a customer and to show a higher level of concern when that complaint comes from a business partner.

By removing you from their program they not only showed you how they feel about their customers, but also how they feel about their affiliates. I've looked at their program in the past and my main concern was the fact that they were a in-house program. Now I'm equally as concerned about their shoddy products and crappy customer service. Thanks, there's no chance that I'll ever work with this merchant anytime in the future.

Make sure you let your site visitors know exactly why you are replacing them. You may also want to send their AM a link to this thread. I'd really like to see how they justify their actions.

-rematt
    "I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." - Richard Nixon

Quote Originally Posted by rematt View Post

Make sure you let your site visitors know exactly why you are replacing them.
    I did in one place but I can't do that everywhere I had their links.

Quote Originally Posted by rematt View Post
    You may also want to send their AM a link to this thread. I'd really like to see how they justify their actions.

-rematt
    *sigh* Might just do that. I haven't responded to the "your account has been reinstated" email. Maybe with a link to this thread would be a good reason to. :-)
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com

Affiliate Manager
    Rexanne, before choosing any affiliate program you have to do some research.

I can't believe you have been promoting a merchant for 2 years without taking a look at their products.

Quite sure that the amount of refunds and charge backs were incredibly high, so how couldn't you notice??

What about the support, you had an affiliate manager, newsletters, something? How you can even know that your account stats were correct?

I am sorry if I sound too harsh but... really... in 2 years you didn't make some quality test?

Hope you get a better merchant this time.

Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Victoria B View Post

I can't believe you have been promoting a merchant for 2 years without taking a look at their products.

Quite sure that the amount of refunds and charge backs were incredibly high, so how couldn't you notice??

What about the support, you had an affiliate manager, newsletters, something? How you can even know that your account stats were correct?

I am sorry if I sound too harsh but... really... in 2 years you didn't make some quality test?

Good luck.
    C'mon. That's a load a crud. Rexanne received the recommendation fo this forum's founder who has high standards regarding affiliate marketing.

Sometimes recommendations from trusted sources is good enough.

Maybe the merchant's practices have recently changed. Maybe they were a good merchant 2 years ago.

You have no idea how Rexanne conducts her business but you are quick to judge her. That to me is bogus.

If you look at how many posts Rexanne has or have been at ABW for a long time, you would know she's been doing this for many years. I guess you've never had any affiliate relationship that went bad. Please tell me how you've remained so perfect!

Sorry if I seem harsh.

Affiliate Manager
    Quote Originally Posted by bibby View Post
    C'mon. That's a load a crud. Rexanne received the recommendation fo this forum's founder who has high standards regarding affiliate marketing.

Sometimes recommendations from trusted sources is good enough.

Maybe the merchant's practices have recently changed. Maybe they were a good merchant 2 years ago.

You have no idea how Rexanne conducts her business but you are quick to judge her. That to me is bogus.

If you look at how many posts Rexanne has or have been at ABW for a long time, you would know she's been doing this for many years. I guess you've never had any affiliate relationship that went bad. Please tell me how you've remained so perfect!

Sorry if I seem harsh.
    Part of this work is to track market changes.

Yes, maybe the merchant was recommended, still there is research to do, quality test to run and a lot of live tracking to perform.

I don't know Rexanne, that's right and I don't intent to judge anybody, but (no offense) when posting issues like this, you must be ready for feedback, am I wrong?

Been to this industry for a while and the only affiliate relationships that went bad were caused by neglectful customer misleading, under no circumstance I will tolerate such thing from any affiliate.

Rexanne, I hope my words won't be taken the wrong way. Hope no more bad experiences for you.

Good luck.
    It's not always practical to test every product from every merchant. I personally don't. I do check EPC, returns, reversals, ABW, other metrics and other online sources regarding a merchant.

In Rexanne's case the merchant terminated her because she informed her AM of an issue.
    All the research in the world wouldn't have prevented that.

The AM is a rogue.

BTW, I'm guessing you're and AM or merchant.

Affiliate Manager
    I am an AM as cleared in my profile yes

Let's say that the easiest way around this is to find reviews on the web about the merchant or their products, as far as I see it, it's a must but I respect your opinion.

Everyone has the power to decide who to work with, if you decide to do it blindfolded it's your choice but be ready for the consequences.

Cheers!

I am an AM as cleared in my profile yes

Let's say that the easiest way around this is to find reviews on the web about the merchant or their products, as far as I see it, it's a must but I respect your opinion.

Everyone has the power to decide who to work with, if you decide to do it blindfolded it's your choice but be ready for the consequences.

Cheers!
    You're assuming she did it blindfolded which is a typical AM response. Let me argue that 2 years ago the rogue was operating fine and then went ape. That's their fault and not Rexanne's or any other affiliate.

AMs also have an obligation to be ethical or be outed here on ABW.

There's no excuse for an AM acting in this manner. So now Rexanne's post becomes a review for other affiliates. That's how these things come to light.

Affiliate Manager
    I didn't even took the time (on purpose) to mention the AM attitude... I completely agree, with you and Rexanne, on that point... out of discussion.

We have hundreds of merchants that we promote and it is not possible to conduct test purchases for all. We would end up with hundreds of products or reversals then. That is why we have forums like this to keep fellow affiliate marketers informed and that saves us time if there is something amiss with a merchant or network.

As pointed out earlier, a merchant can be fine one day but the next management can change, policies can change, toolbar issues can come up, tracking problems, poor customer service, poor products, etc. In todays economy, people are cutting corners so perhaps the flower industry has seen some of that as well in products, customer service, competition, etc.

As it turned out, the AM for this place is a piece of work, but the "lame" arrangement that got delivered may not have been their fault. Yes, they should have been more concerned about complaints, but... ya know.

The thing with this flower stuff is that these merchants are not merchants... they are just order takers who do the marketing. They take their cut and pass the order off to whatever florist is available in the recipient's town. It's pot luck as far as whether the recipient winds up with a nice arrangement of fresh, juicy flowers, or if they wind up with a "supermarket" McFlower bunch. I would imagine that in most cases, the customer will get what they paid for.
    CUSTOM BANNERS by GRAPHICS CANDY ~ Banner Sets and Website Graphics ~ Professional design, reasonable rates
    DESIGNER DOG CHECKS ~ We double-dog dare ya to write one!

Rexanne, I am so sorry this happened to you. I know a bit late :-)

Hope you were able to get all the links.

Try doing a search in the G search bar like this and you may at least narrow down to your pages that may have the merchant's links

"site: www. yoursite.com merchantsite.com"

It will give you the pages on your site that has been indexed by G with the mention of the merchant's name. I don't know if linksleuth will also find links for you.

http and a telephoto
    Victoria B, You need to be careful when making judgement statements about do's and don'ts. Rexanne does check her merchants very carefully before she promotes them. Back when I was an affiliate I promoted this merchant, and made very few sales.

Affiliates are definitely NOT going to do test purchases for all the merchants they promote. There are a lot of other ways to "vet" a merchant and decide if they are worth promoting.

Your vertical is different from most products that are sold by merchants on ABW, but would you expect all of your affiliates to do a test purchase? (They actually can't!) That would be a pretty sweet deal for any merchant if every affiliate that signed up made a purchase!
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Good luck.
    Wow, I can't tell you how many of the 1000+ merchants I have run ( some for 10+ years) that I have not made a quality test on.. lol. I rely on customer feedback, other affiliates, and of course ABW. I have run grower flowers for years and had quite a few sales with no issues. The quality of a program, however, is only as good as the program is at any given moment. Like the stock market, past performance does not indicate future results... We can only assume a program is quality until they show otherwise. Clearly, Rexanne has had an experience which shows us otherwise. In response, I am removing my links for them.

Victoria... I have never had a customer complaint, a reversal, or any bad flowers show up from my own personal orders with them, and i have used that merchant probably six times myself. I have also never had an inappropriate interaction from their affiliate manager... but clearly things have changed with their program in recent months. Rexanne, myself and many others have been doing affiliate marketing for a decade or longer. We are clearly not noobs and do have a basic clue... so to shake a finger at someone assuming they are not doing their homework is clearly unwarranted .

Thanks Rexanne for letting us know your experience, I am sorry, however it happened (

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast