How Much Trouble Will This Get Me Into?
    What's that saying... I'm a glutton for punishment... Or something like that.

Believe it or not, I really am a nice guy. And if you believe that, I have some beachfront property to sell you in Death Valley.

But seriously, I love to fuss and argue. It is the only satisfying way I can find to stimulate my overactive mind.

On my sites, I am all nice and non-controversial. And I hate it.

I know I can write whatever I want on my sites, but a merchant can also dump me for doing it.

I have a lot of stuff I want to say and I want a place to say it. However, I want to make money while doing it (if possible).

Like most people, I have my opinions on a lot of topics. I don't think it is a big secret that I don't think the way "most" people do. I can see things in a variety of ways. Let's just say I am an expert debater. My views are strong and usually have a way of offending pretty much anyone who hears them.

I want to start a site to "tell it like it is". Or at least tell it as I see it.

I'm not talking "hate speech". I'm not talking "discrimination". I'm not talking "profanity".

I am talking about looking at issues and topics in what most people may consider an unorthodox way.

Going against traditional views. Being sarcastic. Being rude, but not crude. Exposing the truth about society and human nature. Getting people to stop and think for a second or two, whether they agree with what I say or not. Planting seeds of "mental revolution" and "societal evolution" into the minds of my readers.

So, how much trouble will this get me into?

Can I make money at it? How?

There are a lot of people on the Internet telling their opinions. They all have people who agree with them and those who do not.

I will end up the only dude online who gives his opinions, which no one will agree with, and will somehow manage to offend all 7 billion people on the planet.

If I have to dilute what I want to write to keep from offending, I might as well stick to these boring "sugar and spice and everything nice" sites I do now.

Go for it.

Grandma broke her coccyx! Uncle Rico's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowfinch View Post
    I will end up the only dude online who gives his opinions
    Probably not.

Defender of Truth, Justice and the Affiliate Way
    Plenty of sites like that with advertising on them, so yeah you can make money at it. I'd stay away from advertisers who have a reputation of being very brand conscious though (proactive move to not be having to change out links).

I agree with what Kellie said. I've had friends send me links to lots of sites they found funny but were just offensive opinion sites. All of them had aff banners. Also agree to stay away from brand conscious merchants or they'll drop you for your "sugar and spice" sites too. If you keep it funny, people will start sending links to your site out just like the ones I've seen too. Great idea for a viral marketing plan, just not my cup of tea.

Affiliate Manager Ian H - TicketLiquidator's Avatar
    What exactly are you talking about here?

What kind of a site, and are you talking about running down the quality of peoples' products?

I come from the UK and was amazed at how in the US you're allowed to actually use other brands in comparisons in advertisements.

That's illegal in the UK, for obvious reasons.....
    [SIZE=3][COLOR=Navy][FONT=Arial]Ian Hough.
    Affiliate Program Manager, TicketLiquidator.com.
    Contact: [email]ianh@ticketliquidator.com[/email][/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE]
    Don't let your work go to waste. Sign up and get paid for all sales: [B]Onsales[/B], last-minute, etc.

More Cheesier Than Ever Cheesehead's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian H - TicketLiquidator View Post
    I come from the UK and was amazed at how in the US you're allowed to actually use other brands in comparisons in advertisements.

That's illegal in the UK, for obvious reasons.....
    And what is so wrong about brand comparisons, if they are accurate?
    This World is Not My Home
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

http and a telephoto
    It is a great idea to build a site based on your opinions, When you choose merchants you have to find ones that will fit the demographic you are going to be drawing. Don't try to do all be all, just pick the right merchants after you have written a few posts and shown what the site will be about. You should probably develop the site for a while *without* monetizing it so you can feel free to write what you want and go from there.

There are a large number of controversial sites that are quite successful with both affiliate marketing or direct advertising, and/or adsense.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Affiliate Manager Ian H - TicketLiquidator's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheesehead View Post
    And what is so wrong about brand comparisons, if they are accurate?
    Are you serious?

I'm not talking about your site now, I'm talking about official company advertisements. Television, mostly.

"Our brand is better than their brand" just doesn't cut it. Objectivity cannot be assured.

What you're doing is a good idea, though, because you're not invested in all the brands, only the ones you believe in, presumably. You should find a way to reach out, Tweet, Facebook, etc, and invite people to post original reviews on the products you write about. It's free content at the end of the day.
    [SIZE=3][COLOR=Navy][FONT=Arial]Ian Hough.
    Affiliate Program Manager, TicketLiquidator.com.
    Contact: [email]ianh@ticketliquidator.com[/email][/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE]
    Don't let your work go to waste. Sign up and get paid for all sales: [B]Onsales[/B], last-minute, etc.

SEO: A Specialty - Web Design: Slow or outsourced andbeyond's Avatar
    The Call is coming from Inside the House!
    Adsense tends to not show ads with certain words on the page like curse words, nude, naked, vulgar language.

Depending on how wild the posts (and comments) are you may not want to go that direction.

Of course you could use the new adsense setting with a backup ad that is a little more tolerant. If google doesnt want to show an ad there is a backup from another network.

http and a telephoto
    I was thinking the site is more about strong opinions and not about cursing for the sake of cursing, nudity etc. I may be wrong but my take on what Snowfinch wants to be able to do is political discourse, "how dare they" type stuff.... like a Dennis Miller kind of ranting. Adsense may not be the way to go. I'd rather see the site develop first with no monetization so you feel free to write what you want, then once you have traffic, see what kind of traffic it is.

Write what you want and don't give a rats ass what others thing.

I once wrote a post calling an entire company a bunch of Pee You Double S eye E S

made more money from that thing than anything else.

If you think your the only dude online that gives his opinion or will be that only dude you are by far mistaken.

SEO: A Specialty - Web Design: Slow or outsourced andbeyond's Avatar
    The Call is coming from Inside the House!
    Ya its hard to say how the language would be. Some sites online are just havens for cursing. Have you been on Digg much?

I have some blogs that the posts are fiery but clean, and then the comments get pretty bad. I have edited some on political blogs I was doing last election cycle.

I agree with loxly. Build it without advertising and you won't have to worry about it. You'll enjoy it because it's what you love to do. Then, once you've built up traffic and a following, consider how to monetize it. It may not be something that's easily monetized, but there are always other options. For instance, a link out from it to a new site that you develop could greatly boost PageRank/SERPs for the new site.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Snowfinch, take the 40-foot leap and don't look backwards! Why not create an "alter ego" funky character that holds a sign with the title of your post?

I'm an ex-New Yawker & believe me, it's been extremely difficult adjusting to the so-called "nice world" out there. The New York frame of mind & humor simply doesn't translate in many places. I'd much rather take an upper cut to the jaw than be stabbed in the back with a candy cane.

You could create Zazzle products emblazoned with your pithier comments, promote controversial books (Amazon). Greg Hoffman's managing Stupid.com gag gifts, which might have appropriate merchandise. There's plenty of room for provocative debate, without crossing into "hate" territory...and that traffic should be easy to monetize. Nothin' like a riled up reader needing a way to vent.

What I tell some people: "make me glad, make me sad or make me mad. Just don't bore me." Sounds like you won't be boring people! Good luck & best to you.
    Renée
    Pay no attention to that woman behind the curtain. -Wizardress of Oz

ABW Ambassador
    If your site gets any type of traffic, you can monetize it. If you can't, it's not that it's not possible, it's that you haven't figured out how to do it yet. And your plans are nothing new, there are plenty of people who make good money offending, being controversial etc, just take talk radio as an example, Stern, Rush etc. Plenty of people doing it online and you can as well.

17. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread