Question Desktop Datafeed Tools
    Hey,

I've noticed there a few online service about and many custom scripts to deal with datafeeds. As I'm new to datafeeds I'm wondering if there are any Desktop tools around? Ideally would like to select one feed at a time and then mash them together.

Is this kind of thing unheard of?

Thanks for any replies.

Take a look at Webmerge. They have a forum here at http://www.abestweb.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=194 and some excellent tutorials.

Thnx for the info but..
    Thanks 2busy for the info about webmerge. Looks like a neat tool. I'm just wondering if webmerge can do what I need. Does anyone know if webmerge can take more than one datafeed and merge them together to be then outputted to a csv or some other format?

I'm intending to use various feeds to be uploaded to my joomla site in addition to the contents that's up there.

Thanks again for any insight provided

You can also take a look at Price Tapestry: http://www.pricetapestry.com/

Vietnam Veteran 1966-1970 USASA
    ABW Forum Rules - Advertise At ABW

Yahoo Pipes
    Cheers BurgerBoy, I didn't know that you can use PriceTapestry to megre 2 datafeeds and then export.

On a side note, someone mentioned that I can use Yahoo Pipes for this. Has anyone got any experience with this?

Not looking for a site builder
    Hey,

I've had a quick look at the suggestions above and I maybe missing something whilst looking through them. I'm not actually looking for some kind of CMS or site builder, what I'm looking for is something that can take 2 or more feeds and be able to compare them together.

So for this example I'm using Tickemaster, I have a list of events happening and I want to take another feed from a different merchant take the URL's, and price and add to the other feed in the right columns.

Is this a mission impossible?

OK, then try MS Excel or OpenOffice.org. That's the step before using a tool like WebMerge. All that does is open the datafeed and let you manipulate data by cells, columns or rows.

There are some server-side tools (PriceTapestry, Datafeed Studio) but I'm not aware of any working "desktop" or "client-side" tools to merge datafeeds.

See the discussion threads linked from my post at http://www.abestweb.com/forums//show...64&postcount=9

Red face Thanks
    Thank you for your replies. I am currently using MSexcel to do this job, but I come against problems when the events do not match together (eg One datafeed supplies an event that the other does not).

I guess I'll pursue learning excel better to do the job easier. Again thanks for your replies.

Affiliate Manager
    Quote Originally Posted by macpaulos View Post
    Thanks 2busy for the info about webmerge. Looks like a neat tool. I'm just wondering if webmerge can do what I need. Does anyone know if webmerge can take more than one datafeed and merge them together to be then outputted to a csv or some other format?
    Not currently, but there are some enhancements in the works you might find interesting.

Feel free to give me a call, as I may have something here which can do what you need: 800-288-5825.
    Richard Gaskin
    Developer of WebMerge: Publish any data feed on any site
    http://www.fourthworld.com

Please share
    Hi Fourthworld

Would you mind sharing your idea/software? I suspect that to do this job I will need a database of some sorts which is a problem for me as I have no idea how to work with databases and can't afford to hire anyone.

Affiliate Manager
    I've been doing a lot of R&D related to your area of interest. Much of the results of these explorations will find their way into WebMerge, but in the meantime I've collected a rather varied toolkit, some of which I may be able to spin out into special-purpose tools for far less than hiring a programmer to write them from scratch.

Until these features make their way into shipping products I'm reluctant to get into details here (and being rather arcane the details likely wouldn't interest most folks here anyway <g>). But I would be happy to discuss this further with you by phone at your convenience.
    Richard Gaskin
    Developer of WebMerge: Publish any data feed on any site
    http://www.fourthworld.com

13. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread