Large site launch - trickle or open wide?
    just curious what everyone's thoughts are on launching a site with lots of product content...not a super-lot, just 20k or so product pages. is it best to build out the full 20k pages and then release the entire site out into the wild (and SEs), or is there some benefit in trickling out the products over a number of weeks?

superCool is thinking of maybe releasing a small group of sub-categories each week, or maybe some other trickle out plan.

do you think it makes a difference at all?

fanks pals!

Tax Paying Member
    Quote Originally Posted by superCool View Post

fanks pals!
    I am not an expert by any means
    My gut feel is that if the site has the appearance of being a working site and not a work in progress then go with what you have. Get in out for indexing. Building out more pages as you go should only help.
    You must climb this mountain. There is no elevator. ---- Don't stick your finger in the liquid nitrogen.
    Carolina China

Half a Bubble Off Plumb RemodelingGuy's Avatar
    RG believes that you send it all out at once so you can do a realistic and real time comparison of your page hits...

Take the best and keep building around them...

20k pages is small change....

I would hold back on any duplicate content tho....

Jimmy McDonald - Your Local Hard Working RemodelingGuy ( & SprinklerGuy - & GarageGuy )
    StartRemodeling.com .... MySprinklerGuy.com .... MyGarageGuy.com ....
    We're Bettering YOUR Life by Improving Where YOU Live It ...
    Do What You LOVE & LOVE What You Do! ....

Let 'er rip.

SEO: A Specialty - Web Design: Slow or outsourced andbeyond's Avatar
    The Call is coming from Inside the House!
    I guess I will be the other side of this coin and say slower trickle IMO a better approach.

Lately if If I make a site of even 500 pages and make them all at once it seems I get no love from Google. Adding pages over time seems to get more of them indexed.

Dumping all of them at once seems to scare google off for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by Witzer View Post
    I am not an expert by any means
    My gut feel is that if the site has the appearance of being a working site and not a work in progress then go with what you have. Get in out for indexing. Building out more pages as you go should only help.
    +1
    Definitely the approach I would take. YMMV
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

I always put them out all at once and have never had any problems doing it that way.

Vietnam Veteran 1966-1970 USASA
    ABW Forum Rules - Advertise At ABW

I would trickle personally.

Don't know what kind of system it is built but if it is WP then there is a plugin I remember that you can trickle the posts. I like the idea of doing subcategories at a time.

Network Rep & ABW Ambassador Carolyn - ShareASale's Avatar
    This question has stuck in my mind for two days now, and both sides of my brain have gone back and forth with the following conclusion:

For blogs, newssites, etc. I think the trickle in approach is better because it gives the impression (both to consumers and search engines) that the site is timely, up-to-date and well maintained.

For shopping directories, portals, etc, where the main purpose is for consumers to browse around, then I believe drop it all at once so the consumer understands how broad the offering is. Then you can add products constantly to each category, but consumers will keep coming back to you because they know the category exists.

Interested in hearing what you decide to do, my mind will probably continue to ponder this until you make a decision. Thanks for that, lol

My recommendation was based on:
    a site with lots of product content
    that didn't sound like it was a blog.

If you have hundreds of pages I don't see the benefit to trickling them out as some of your first visitors may be looking for what's on the pages you held back. If it is a blog, that's different, but 2busy thinks superCool wouldn't have any confusion about which would be better for superCool in that case.

Of course it's all speculation as to whether google would take issue and treat a site differently if the shmeil is plastered up all at once, but I'd rather take the "better safe than sorry" approach of spreading things out over a period of time.
    CUSTOM BANNERS by GRAPHICS CANDY ~ Banner Sets and Website Graphics ~ Professional design, reasonable rates
    DESIGNER DOG CHECKS ~ We double-dog dare ya to write one!

ABW Ambassador

fanks pals!
    I don't think it makes any difference. I've done both "release the entire site out" and "over a period of time". They both get indexed by google after a while.

I would choose to release the entire site at once if I can get a site done on time, otherwise, I release whatever sub-categories that's finished.

ABW Ambassador
    20,000 pages? datafeed site? If so, maybe 7 years ago.

Also, just reading the link Mark posted to Search Engine Land

"This change seems to have primarily impacted very large sites with “item” pages that don’t have many individual links into them, might be several clicks from the home page, and may not have substantial unique and value-added content on them. For instance, ecommerce sites often have this structure. The individual product pages are unlikely to attract external links and the majority of the content may be imported from a manufacturer database. Of course, as with any change that results in a traffic hit for some sites, other sites experience the opposite. Based on Matt’s comment at Google I/O, the pages that are now ranking well for these long tail queries are from “higher quality” sites (or perhaps are “higher quality” pages)."

http://searchengineland.com/google-c...-traffic-43054
    Last edited by Trust; May 27th, 2010 at 02:57 PM.

fankth for the comments friends. yes it's a datafeed site - superCool's first. the whole site is already out there but has not been indexed yet. superCool has been going back and forth over trying to put out a smaller number of pages and waiting for them to be indexed before releasing more. looks like this time it will be one big drop to the adoring masses. if superCool builds another datafeed site he might try the trickle out approach. we'll see how it goes. good luck to superCool...from superCool. Oh, and good luck to all of y'all too!

fankth again everyone

It would be best to have all of your categories in order and have a decent portion of your products in there and then add them at a good pace. Google will like the dynamic content of your site and it will always seem active as each time it comes back to spider you will have something new with good SEO keywords.

Maybe use mod-rewrite to make your URLs very keyword friendly or at least make the variables in your code be keyword friendly.

just curious what everyone's thoughts are on launching a site with lots of product content...not a super-lot, just 20k or so product pages. is it best to build out the full 20k pages and then release the entire site out into the wild (and SEs), or is there some benefit in trickling out the products over a number of weeks?

superCool is thinking of maybe releasing a small group of sub-categories each week, or maybe some other trickle out plan.

fanks pals!

16. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread