I've been in affiliate marketing about a year now and I have a question I've been wondering about for a while now about linking. I know the 2 primary reasons to exchange links are of course page rank and to get more visitors to your site. Through my research on linking I have found that it is much better to have higher ranking sites link to your site so your site will eventually get a better rank, but I have also learned that it is better to have relevant sites linked to your site. That being said I feel as though having a similar site linked to yours may cause your customers go to the other site and buy something. Which is not good.
    I have also noticed that in many cases, the pages in which the links are, usually, but not always, don't rank as well as some of the main pages of the site. So I was wondering what the advantages or disadvantages my be of having silent linking partners that are linked on your highest ranked pages. What I mean by silent partners is having links on the page so that the text and the background are the same color, thus not showing up unless the mouse is pointed directly at the link.
    What do you guys think about "silent linking" (a term I just made up, I think) and the idea of getting links from higher ranked pages?
    I hope this is the right place to post this question. I wanted to get the most exposure and this seems like the place people on here most frequent. Thanks for the thoughts!

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> What do you guys think about "silent linking" (a term I just made up, I think) and the idea of getting links from higher ranked pages? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

No you did not make this up. This is the standard technique for giving the signal "ban this site" to the search engine robots.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> having a similar site linked to yours may cause your customers go to the other site and buy something. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well both parties would be at an equal disadvantage, no? Fair is fair.

It is a rare exchanged link that will ever bring "traffic" from another site to yours, or from yours to another, unless one of the sites is a real heavy-hitter.

The real advantage of links from other sites lies in the anchor text. Use good titles, go forth and multiply.

3. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread