Grandma broke her coccyx! Uncle Rico's Avatar
    Optimal Adsense Placement?
    I have this fashion niche WP site that is almost 3 years old. It gets an ok amount of traffic each month. However one post of this blog gets about 1900 hits per month. It's not a huge amount of traffic, but it's not bad.

This post is related to a clothing merchant that does not have any online store (yet) so I can't monetize with their products/ads. I have added links to similar merchants that do offer online shopping. I also added one adsense ad to the page just after the initial post content.

The similar merchant ads have been a bust so far. The adsense ad gets about 170 clicks per month, which ends up around $60-$70 per month. I see that as a success given my track record, but I wonder if I could improve the clicks on the adsense ad or even better the affiliate links for the similar merchants.

Just thinking out loud.

There are quite a few posts (some from RemodelingGuy come to mind) about AdSense placement.

I'll suggest two other places to consider or research: eBay and Amazon.com. Even if the merchant doesn't have a site, these are two places with affiliate programs that I've found that have the largest breadth of products. It's possible that they won't have the product line you're looking for, and it's a tossup whether they will do as well as AdSense, but they're options worth researching.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Amazon is out for me since I live in NC.

The one that I started using after Jimmy (RemodelingGuy) posted about it was the one smack in the middle with two of the rectangular ones side by side. If you go to his site you will see them. I believe it is the 250x250 side by side.

However I stopped using them on my site since it was so successful it took away from my affiliate earnings.

I have one site that deals with air conditioning - tough to find merchants - but I am happy with the AdSense results. At this time of year the clicks are quite expen$ive; it puts a smile on my face.

My AdS placement mantra has been to "Put the money in the middle." I use a 300x250 ad block right in the middle of the text so that at least half of it shows "above the fold." I also believe Jimmy suggested something very similar. It works.

The site is over five years old and I have done nothing to it - except to experiment with ad placement and try a few merchants. The merchants did zip, but "Putting the money in the middle" with ad blocks ended up working the best.

I have a couple of hairstyle sites that only sell a "few" merchant items but also do very well with AdS blocks. I recently started another one with a 3-column layout and have a 160x600 ad block in each side-bar - that are both partially visible above the fold. Even though hair care clicks are very "cheap" this little site does surprisingly well.

SB, if you would like to take a peek - send me a PM and I'll be happy to share the URLs with you.
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

ABW Ambassador
    I suggest you test out different placements to find out what's optimal for your site.

Bill -- I think I sent you a PM. Don't know whether it went through or not, but I think so.
    Generate more fake news.

FYI, you can check your Sent PM Folder to see if it your PM went through.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

I have found that each site/niche/source of traffic is different so you really just need to test a bunch of things.

If you are hesitant to use the ads in the middle of the page approach, try testing this set-up: Put a set of link ads across the top and then a wide skyscraper ad in the right column. Use the same color background as your site and also the same link colors.

Not sure why it works, but it works pretty well on my sites.
    [URL=http://www.investeverymonth.com]InvestEveryMonth.com[/URL] - Build Wealth

Quote Originally Posted by writerguy View Post
    Bill -- I think I sent you a PM. Don't know whether it went through or not, but I think so.
    Yup, got it. (as you found out late last night )

Usually I respond more quickly - but I actually had the ol' Mac turned off for a few hours yesterday - twice
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..

More Cheesier Than Ever Cheesehead's Avatar
    For a fashion site, use of a image-only AdSense block can be very effective. In a blog, you could left justify the block in your post at the top.
    This World is Not My Home
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

Reply to Thread
    Learned

Half a Bubble Off Plumb RemodelingGuy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ladidah View Post
    The one that I started using after Jimmy (RemodelingGuy) posted about it was the one smack in the middle with two of the rectangular ones side by side. If you go to his site you will see them. I believe it is the 250x250 side by side.

However I stopped using them on my site since it was so successful it took away from my affiliate earnings.
    SB......

This formula REALLY works bro....

It's 80% or more of my AdSense revenue......

Just a big fat ad in the middle of the page that is targeted to the content of that page.

Jimmy McDonald - Your Local Hard Working RemodelingGuy ( & SprinklerGuy - & GarageGuy )
    StartRemodeling.com .... MySprinklerGuy.com .... MyGarageGuy.com ....
    We're Bettering YOUR Life by Improving Where YOU Live It ...
    Do What You LOVE & LOVE What You Do! ....

The 300x250 placed just after the first paragraph seems to be the optimal placement at least for this one post.

Quote Originally Posted by SeymourButts View Post
    The 300x250 placed just after the first paragraph seems to be the optimal placement at least for this one post.
    Uh-huh. WTG, S/B. My mantra of "Put the money in the middle." does seem to work in a variety of situations. Eh, Jimmy?

Up to now I only checked my adsence account for two things: 1) How much I am making, and 2) what sites are generating the income.

I logged today and tried to find out what adsence ads people are clicking on but could not find this info. Is it available?? If so how??
    MERCHANTS: Start showing your coupons directly on your site, that way your shoppers will stop leaving your site looking for them!! If not then remove your Coupon Box!!

I have a different channel for each ad so when I click on "top channels" I can see which ads are getting clicked.

I generally don't like placing ads into the body of an article, although it certainly is a widely-accepted practice and is generally more profitable than putting the ads in the margins.

On May 25, as an experiment, I added AdSense ads to the top of the right column (above the category list) on my blog, placing a small ad block (I think it was 120x240, which is enough room to display 2 text ads).

Today, AdSense reported that for this 16-day period, the eCPM (effective cost-per-thousand adviews) was $1.36. I think that's reasonable for an "unfocused" blog like mine.

For now, I've removed AdSense from the blog.

Quote Originally Posted by kse View Post
    Up to now I only checked my adsence account for two things: 1) How much I am making, and 2) what sites are generating the income.

I logged today and tried to find out what adsence ads people are clicking on but could not find this info. Is it available?? If so how??
    I believe you can see that info through google analytics,asuming you have it installed on your site/blog.

http and a telephoto
    Create a channel for each block, or at the very least name them according to placement. You can find out exactly what ads are performing this way. Then add your sites to analytics and add the special tracking codes for adsense and you can see what pages are making what money.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Quote Originally Posted by loxly View Post
    Create a channel for each block, or at the very least name them according to placement. You can find out exactly what ads are performing this way. Then add your sites to analytics and add the special tracking codes for adsense and you can see what pages are making what money.
    Yes that is what I did, I have a channel for the Site and a channel for the individual ad so each add has two channels
    MERCHANTS: Start showing your coupons directly on your site, that way your shoppers will stop leaving your site looking for them!! If not then remove your Coupon Box!!

http and a telephoto
    Then you should be able to see exactly what ad is making how much.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Quote Originally Posted by loxly View Post
    Then you should be able to see exactly what ad is making how much.
    I now can, I asked my question around 11 days ago and I figured out the solution after SeymourButts posted his reply. I been able to my ads since then.

Thanks

24. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread