I search out keywords I use on Yahoo and get great listings. The same keywords on Google result in nothing. MSN,forget it. There was a time when all search engines posted the same results or close to it. Now it's a mess.So where and when will it end and who will win?
    As it is now it's very confusing for people using the search engines. Which one does one use to get the best and most relievent results?

the reason is simple all three google, yahoo and MSN now show there own results.....

meaning the free lunch is over !!!

Joe
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    that's my2cents, 'cuz I'm a legend in my own mind....

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> who will win? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

My money's on MSN in the long run. I don't think their beta test is indicative of future performance. The first few versions of MS softwares always need help, but in the end they stomp all over their competitors' marketshare.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Which one does one use to get the best and most relievent results? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

99% of the time I use Google. I don't think they're really any more relevant than Yahoo--the relevance seems about equal to me, even though the exact listings are different. But I like Google's interface better, plus Yahoo has a history of scr*wing paying webmasters so up theirs.
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

I agree with Leader...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Leader:
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> who will win? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

My money's on MSN in the long run. I don't think their beta test is indicative of future performance. The first few versions of MS softwares always need help, but in the end they stomp all over their competitors' marketshare.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Which one does one use to get the best and most relievent results? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

99% of the time I use Google. I don't think they're really any more relevant than Yahoo--the relevance seems about equal to me, even though the exact listings are different. But I like Google's interface better, plus Yahoo has a history of scr*wing paying webmasters so up theirs. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

i'll third that motion even thou i do get ok traffic from them but they don't get my money!
    dave

I happen to think it takes a really long time for the general public to start changing the search engine of their choice regardless of who has what results and technology. The only time people leave quickly is when the search engine takes a major turn for the worse. I think Google will remain king for a few years yet and possibly longer than that if they keep up on technology.

ABW Ambassador
    I think many of the SE's results sucks. They don't seem well prepared to deal with the filtering, spamming and other techniques used by affiliates to gain top positions with junk.

I'll go out on a limb and suggest that eventually, consumers will be willing to pay a fee for a search engine that has quality sites that meet certain standards which includes no popups or drive by attempts. I recall a time with "free TV" and cable came along with great skeptisism with many people saying who's gonna pay for TV when they can get it for free. How many of us now pay for cable televison and programs that have no commercials during the show?

I believe some search engine(s) will be taking this approach eventually. The model will allow the SE to capture income from both webmasters and consumers, limit the results they have to scan and update and would eliminate a ton of complete junk consumers currently have to weed thru. Who cares about google having 6 million 700 hundred and eighty thousand pages scanned with digital camera...... It's ludicrus and even more so, that query recently yielded a site in position 8 that did not have one instance of digital camera in the title, on the page or even in the site itself which was for digital music and downloading mp3's LOL.

ABW Ambassador
    No one is going to pay to search.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>

I'll go out on a limb and suggest that eventually, consumers will be willing to pay a fee for a search engine that has quality sites that meet certain standards which includes no popups or drive by attempts. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You’re going out on the limb alright. I doubt that will happen anytime soon unless ‘all’ the search engines make people pay to search, which won't happen anytime soon if ever.

what is google
    all newbie aol users use aol search(dont know or care who feeds that)
    verizon dsl offers free msn homepage so I am guessing thats what verizon customers use. I have yahoo as my homepage and google search bar installed for research only. I see google out of business in 3 years
    Vinny O'Hare - OPM - Contact Info email: vinny at teamloxly.com ~ 702-582-6742 Twitter

I think you will find that Google has a bigger brand recognition than most other search engines.

What other search engine name is becoming an accepted part of day to day language - Google has gone from being a company name to being a verb and that just goes to reinforce its place in the market.

Stuart

I think Google along with their PR rating is overrated myself.

I see Yahoo and even MSN eventually being the search engines of choice over google. Especially now that Yahoo decided to dump googles search technology.

My opinion anyway.

ABW Ambassador
    Guess I'm in the minority since I still see Google dominating years from now provided they don't do anything stupid like pay for inclusion.

I still find Google's results much better - particularly for informational searches.

As for MSN, the jury is still out on that one. No way in the world that MSN will put out a product as good as Google, but.....since their search will undoubtedly be featured in the next Windows OS, it could have a huge impact on the search sphere because of it. Time will tell on that, I guess. However, MS will have a tough time beating Google's recognition right now - and overcoming the crappy reputation that MSN currently has.

As for Yahoo, I find their SERP's so-so. For some things it is pretty good. For others, it is pretty well over-run with commercial listings and spammy sites at the expense of informational sites.

and they all still look like google.

Domain Addict / Formerly known as elbowcreek Thomas A. Rice's Avatar
    - - - - - -
    and they all still look like google.....
    - - - - - -

Yep, and excel looked like Lotus, too. Can you still buy a copy of Lotus somewhere? I'm thinking 2-3 years, and google will own maybe 20% of the traffic. I may be way, way off, heck the way things go, google may get a 50 million year loan and buy microsoft.
    Following everyone else is a GREAT way to become average.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> How many of us now pay for cable televison and programs that have no commercials during the show?
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

No commercials??

LOL, Comcast Cable charges quite a bit and all that most of the programming is, is reran network crap with new commercials. And even on the "basic" channels with original programming, there are plenty of commercials!

As for paying for premium (HBO), nah...I don't look at the small screen enough to make that anywhere near worthwhile.
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

17. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread