OK, so a person clicks on my link and goes to eBay. Then instead of bidding in an auction, they use the "Buy It Now" option and immediately get what they were looking for.

1) Should that count as a bid, and should I get a nickel?
    2) Does tracking work for them?

Anybody know?

(I am, of course, much more interested in how this affects my $5 registrations, than I am about nickels, but the answer should be the same either way.)

Thx;

- Ed

"It's my hope that you'll come to appreciate the past should not be forgotten. It should be cherished, and run late-night, in syndication, after the local news." (Orange County)

What I dont understand is that they say they pay for ACTIVE registered users. SO why is it that someone who registers for the first time and PAYS to do an auction doesnt count as an "active" registered user!

Good question. I looked at all the information I could find, but it wasn't mentioned.

I'm guessing that we don't get paid, but I'd be happy to be told I'm wrong.

Domain Addict / Formerly known as elbowcreek Thomas A. Rice's Avatar
    I wish eBay would open up a forum here, there seems to be a lot of us that could benefit form their presence.

"The internet is an audience of one, a million times over." -Peter Guber

quote:
    Originally posted by missdonna:
    Good question. I looked at all the information I could find, but it wasn't mentioned.

I'm guessing that we don't get paid, but I'd be happy to be told I'm wrong.

No, you are right, although they do get the registered users, and they get a lot of personal info even with a CC number in most cases, they still only pay for a BID and ONLY if its within 30 days.

Tightwads.

But hey, since CJ allows it....

They all know that people arent going to drop them so why shouldnt they get as many free leads as they can?

update - I ran a test this morning which seems to confirm that CJ is not tracking Buy-It-Nows as bids. That could result in totally legitimate registrations being reversed.

eBay customer support tells me that they regard buy-it-nows as bids.

Still waiting to hear what CJ Ask-a-question tells me.

I've always thought my reversal rate with eBay seemed a bit high. Maybe this is why?

- Ed

"It's my hope that you'll come to appreciate the past should not be forgotten. It should be cherished, and run late-night, in syndication, after the local news." (Orange County)

ABW Ambassador
    I have forwarded this thread to the attention of Ebay through my CJ mail and hope it will help in addressing the questions and other parameters of their program.

Update: CJ tells me that eBay rep says they do not pay for Buy-It-Nows.

Still don't know for sure if that results in people who used buy-it-now being reversed as "not active" registrations. I've got a bad feeling about it, though.

And it don't seem hardly fair.

- Ed

My opinion is I think Ebay should be fair and Buy it nows should result in some kind of commission. as That in my opinion is called stealing, Like Ebates Money Maker. Anyway I wish Ebay would come on this forum and put there reasons why we don't get commissions for buy it nows, I would like them to try to challenge us by posting there excuses for not providing the commissions to quality affiliates for buy it nows within the deeplinking of auctions?

Jason
    Santa Cruz, CA 95060

quote:
    Originally posted by jasonco12:
    My opinion is I think Ebay should be fair and Buy it nows should result in some kind of commission. as That in my opinion is called stealing, Like Ebates Money Maker. Anyway I wish Ebay would come on this forum and put there reasons why we don't get commissions for buy it nows, I would like them to try to challenge us by posting there excuses for not providing the commissions to quality affiliates for buy it nows within the deeplinking of auctions?

Jason
    Santa Cruz, CA 95060

They dont because they dont have to. CJ doesnt mind giving them all this stuff for free as long as CJ gets the prestige of having ebay as an advertiser.

And of course, as long as webmasters keep giving away the free advertising, ebay will keep taking it! Who could blame them?

I like traffic lights
    Southern hemisphere - away from Fukushima
    >Update: CJ tells me that eBay rep says they do not
    >pay for Buy-It-Nows.

Well THAT sucks. If they don't cough up the 5 cents, then the $5 sign-up gets reversed, even though they've scored a new client.

Someone tell me it ain't true!

ABW Ambassador
    i think if we are having reversals made because someone has registered and then clicked buy it now instead of bidding, that its disgusting, I had $40 dollars from ebay reversed last week, and i bet that was why! most people will buy it now for the things i advertise as they are hard to find.
    boo ebay!!!

quote:
    Originally posted by Tamalyn:
    i think if we are having reversals made because someone has registered and then clicked buy it now instead of bidding, that its disgusting

Based on info I've received so far, that's exactly what's happening.

So, intheory ...

Person A registers and places a lowball bid on something hoping to get lucky. They get outbid, and then don't go back to bid on any more auctions.

Person B registers, buys a hard-to-find item using buy-it-now, and becomes a loyal eBay user every time they are looking for something that they can't find in stores.

eBay considers person A an active user and pays $5, but they don't pay anything for person B, because they don't consider person B to be an active user.

How does that make sense?

- Ed

quote:
    Originally posted by abagoo:
    eBay considers person A an active user and pays $5, but they don't pay anything for person B, because they don't consider person B to be an active user.

How does that make sense?

- Ed

getting FREE advertising ALWAYS makes sense to the merchant.

i STILL cant believe that CJ lets them get by with floating leads for so long and also the fact that cj even LETS them get away with their advertising payouts at all. but hey, thats cj.

i guess if webmasters founf it that bad and scandalous, they wouldnt run it now would they? how can we expect cj to do anything when we basically tell them it is fine with us?

It would be nice to get some sort of official response from CJ as to *why* a BIN purchase voids a registration, and more importantly why is CJ not making an effort to remedy this with Ebay.

"Because." simply doesn't cut it. This is clearly a loophole that needs to be plugged, yet all we hear is deafening silence from CJ. How about you put your kickbacks aside for a second and actually do something for the affiliates rather than for Ebay.

One would think that Ebay has purchased CJ... perhaps in a way they have.

16. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread