Verbosely Virtuous Mutt spacedog's Avatar
    Minimum balance for payouts
    Is a minimum balance (like the $50 min for SAS) paid out when the accumulated balance reaches $50, or does the affiliate have to actually make more than $50 in commissions within a single month to trigger the payout? I have always assumed that SAS and CJ and other networks and in-house programs that have minimums all use the accumulation method, carrying over the balance to the next month and then paying it out when the total balance hits $50.

I'm having a little confusion with a new program I joined which is using a month-to-month minimum instead of an accumulated one. For example, if the min is $50 and I made $48, then $48 the next month and then $48 more the third month, I still wouldn't get a check because I'd need to get over $50 in comms in a single month to trigger a payout of the entire previous balance. Has anyone seen a non-standard minimum payout threshold policy like this?

ABW Ambassador
    accumulated

I've never seen the other stuff you're talking about. Usually the amount carries over to the next mount and you get paid when you hit the minimum.

Network Rep & ABW Ambassador Carolyn - ShareASale's Avatar
    On ShareASale, it's definitely accumulated, and accumulated from multiple merchants. Whenever your overall balance is over $50, you'll get paid.

I don't think the program you're referring to ($48, then $48, then $48) is on ShareASale, because 1) our balance is aggregated from multiple merchants; and 2) merchants don't issue your payment, it's done by ShareASale.
    best,
    Carolyn
    ShareASale Client Services
    Y!: SAS_CTang
    e: ctang(at)shareasale.com

Ah, I'm sorry Carolyn, I should have mentioned it's a standalone in-house program elsewhere. I figured I'd ask it in the SAS forum since some of the smartest people read and reply to the threads here. ShareASale has always been top notch in getting their payments to me, and always correctly.

Network Rep & ABW Ambassador Carolyn - ShareASale's Avatar
    Aw shucks, I am rather partial to ShareASale affiliates, lol! But I think I'll move this to Midnight Cafe because it really is a broader question. Okay by you?

Super Dawg Member Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    I can't imagine any network doing it that way, SDog, but I wouldn't put it past some in-house programs that either do not know any better or are intentionally keeping hold of every cent until they absolutely have to pay it out.
    Since June 10, 2012 a vegan aarf but still writing the Hound Dawg Sports Blog
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;
    "Raj, there’s no place for truth on the internet." -Howard Wolowitz[/SIZE]

Yep, Carolyn, that's fine.

http and a telephoto
    Spacedog, I'd run away from that program. If they have that kind of minimum in place, they are probably going to do other things to keep from paying out commissions.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Quote Originally Posted by loxly View Post
    Spacedog, I'd run away from that program. If they have that kind of minimum in place, they are probably going to do other things to keep from paying out commissions.
    What loxly said. Only I'd probably run faster. I've never head of that arrangement and I certainly wouldn't trust whomever is doing it like that.
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

Thanks for all your responses. I've spoken to the program manager and it appears to have just been a mistake in how their system calculates minimums. They're very new and still working out the kinks, and promised they'll have it fixed by tomorrow.

FWIW, there are a very few networks and indies that have exceptions to the logical "carry the balance over until you earn enough to meet the threshold" way of doing things.

The two that come to mind are:

CJ - If you have six months of inactivity, they start charging an inactivity fee ($10/month?) to your account and once your balance is depleted your account gets closed.

AllPosters / Art.com - If you don't earn a certain amount ($25?) each year, you forfeit those earnings.

You can find threads about both of those here on ABW.

I can't think of any other exceptions.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

12. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread