Get a free .com domain at 1and1
    Though I'd share this with you good people here, in case you have not yet heard.
    Free .com domains are available at 1and1 till the end of this month. I signed up yesterday, after I learned of it from a friend. I thought I had to buy something to get the free .com domain but I did not have to. And they did not charge anything for the private registration either.
    Registration took a bit of time but the DNS resolved to my nameservers pretty quickly. The site's up and running now.
    The catch? Only one free .com for each customer. Not really a catch, is it?
    Michelle
    Affilorama Group Ltd
    Affiliate Marketing by Affilorama | Free SEO Software by Traffic Travis

Fara - Thank you! I will try to get one, very early in the morning
    Fara: Thank you for that information! Certainly it was news to me. I am going to try to get in here, very early in the morning, and get one of those free .com domain names. :-)

Just remember, it's free for one year. Then you pay for it or give it up.

Shawn Kerr (.com) | Disney World | SEC Football

ABW Ambassador
    Not free but if you're with Godaddy or not with Godaddy, they sometimes have coupons for 99 cent domains. They had 2 this month I took advantage of. I'll post the codes next time they come up.

2 Domains at GoDaddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Trust View Post
    Not free but if you're with Godaddy or not with Godaddy, they sometimes have coupons for 99 cent domains. They had 2 this month I took advantage of. I'll post the codes next time they come up.
    If they ever offer new .com domains for 99 cents, that's very cool. Two of my domains are registered at GoDaddy.

The only problem with GoDaddy is that each time one clicks, they try to upsell something else and it is very annoying to navigate around their web site, for that reason.

On the + side, this morning I sent an email to their support and in 4 hours had a reply, which I think is very good.

My other 2 domains are at Name.com which until very recently offered free private WHOIS. Very easy to navigate around the Name.com web site.

If I get one of those free .com names from 1and1, after the first year, which is free, I will pay to renew with 1and1 or transfer it to GoDaddy or Name.com depending on the prices at that time.
    Last edited by Lanny; May 29th, 2010 at 06:45 PM. Reason: Addition: I will pay after one free year

ABW Ambassador
    INDY2010 - .99 cent domain at Godaddy, think it might still be good. 1 per account

Quote Originally Posted by affilorama View Post
    Though I'd share this with you good people here, in case you have not yet heard.
    Free .com domains are available at 1and1 till the end of this month. <snip>
    Registration took a bit of time but the DNS resolved to my nameservers pretty quickly. The site's up and running now.
    <snip>
    Fara: I got a free .com domain from 1and1. I would like to use it as an "AddOn" Domain, on a cPanel Shared Hosting account I have, with another web hosting provider.

To do that, I need to be able to change the DNS Servers to those of the other web hosting provider. That does not seem possible, on the 1and1 Control Panel for Domain Management. It shows: "Basic DNS Settings
    1&1 name server (Unmodifiable)"

Questions: Were you able to change to other DNS Servers? If so, how did you do that?

The free account apparently does not allow Uploading web pages via FTP, so the only way I can see to do this on the 1and1 site is via their Website builder, online, which I do not want to do.

TIA! Lanny

If you think that is a problem now. Feel sorry for the person who actually builds a working and profitable site on a "free" domain and on that platform - and later wants to move it somewhere else. Free is not always without "some kind" of cost.

I once bought a domain from someone who had originally registered it with 1&1 - and it took five weeks to transfer out.

Can you say, "Captive audience?" YMMV
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

SEO: A Specialty - Web Design: Slow or outsourced andbeyond's Avatar
    The Call is coming from Inside the House!
    Often there is a 60 day? wait period to move domains once registered or moved to a new registar.

You will have to setup nameservers in the meantime and then just set a reminder to move it out a few months before it expires.

Sometimes the transfer problem is that a domain is too new to move.

Smile SOLVED: DNS Servers changed and waiting for Propagation
    The problem, apparently, was that the 1and1 system is *very* slow. Once I saw the status of the new domain had changed to "ready", on their Control Panel, it was a snap to change the DNS Servers to those of the other web hosting provider. Now waiting for DNS Propagation.

I agree that it would be horrible, to develop a web site with their site builder, online, and I had no interest in doing that. The other problem was that the free domain name did not come with an FTP account, so I would not have been able to Upload my web pages with M$ FrontPage or any other Software.

I too have read many derogatory comments about 1and1, on WebHostingTalk.com (owned by the same company as ABW), but I must tell you that I am very impressed with their Support today. Today is a Sunday and 1and1 Support replied, various times. Sadly, my normal web hosting provider is not known for fast Support times.

This free Domain Registration was *far* slower in showing up in the WHOIS than registrations I've done with GoDaddy.com and Name.com and also continued to show as an available domain when I checked on GoDaddy.com and Name.com but all is well.

It took a bit of time for my free .com domain to be ready, too, but once it was ready I had no problems with pointing to my name servers. All is fine with it, just had to be patient as the registration process was going through. I hope you took advantage of the private registration option as well because that's free, too.
    For others who have not yet gotten their free .com domain, go on ahead while you still have time. Offer ends today, May 31.
    Michelle
    Affilorama Group Ltd

Smile 1and1 free .com domain "offer extended"
    I looked on the web site of 1and1.com a few minutes ago (it is currently 0034 GMT on 01 June 2010). It says the free (for the first year) .com domain offer has been extended.

If we come up with another good domain name, maybe my wife can register it with 1and1.....

Mine took approximately 13 hours as I recall, before I got their welcome email, with my customer number, etc. and then their Control Panel didn't show it as "ready" and I couldn't switch the DNS Servers to those of my web hosting provider, until it showed "ready" status.

I contacted their Support via email (Sunday morning, E.S.T.) and was pleasantly surprised and very pleased, with their response time and help. Once the domain showed "ready", it was a snap to change the DNS Servers.

Initially, I checked the box to have the free Private WHOIS, but when I read the Terms and Conditions (if we receive mail for you it costs US$5 or something like that, etc.) I decided against it. I backed up and selected a normal (public WHOIS registration) and then proceeded.

Two of my domains are registered at Name.com and when I got them, they had free Private WHOIS and I selected it. The next time I renew them, I will read their Terms and Conditions and if they are like those of 1and1, I will change them back to Public WHOIS.

On WebHostingTalk.com I have seen threads about problems with 1and1 Support, probably involving domain transfers. My belief is that I will need to pay for the 2nd year ($8.99) before being eligible to transfer the domain to another register. If I ever need/want to do that, I will allow several months...

5 weeks to transfer a domain seems like a *terribly* long time, but so does the time it took for my new domain to show up in the WHOIS, etc., yesterday. I'm a happy camper and will begin building this new web site, ASAP.

Yes, the free .com domain offer has indeed been extended. That's a good thing as I have friends and family who want to take advantage of the offer, too.
    I am not aware of the charge for when they receive mail for you; I'll have to check on that, although I do not really need to receive mail through them with the .com domain that I have set up because I have support team handling mail for me for that domain and the email support is through another domain. Oh well, they do need to make some money, just so that they could keep operating their business
    I will also be looking in the domain transfer thing. Generally one really has to stay with a registrar for a set period of time, I believe it's 60 days, before you can transfer the domain to another registrar, and this is regardless of which registrar you signed up with.
    Michelle
    Affilorama Group Ltd

14. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread