The way I feel right now, I think I am about to hit the fan with my old site, so I decided to make this post before I plug the fan in the wall.

While I am not 100% happy with the amount of disk space that I get for 10.00 a month with that web hosting provider, I have just stay with them because up to today I have not encounter any problem there...But I just went to make a new page and then I got this.........insufficient disk space

OK, yes, I know about it's time to move on to another hosting company, but since I read somewhere before that if you use the (FrontPage Server Extensions), you're using double the amount of disk space, I was thinking of what will happen if I remove the (FrontPage Server Extensions) from that site.

I am about to do the Remove the FrontPage Server Extensions from that site and I am ready to lose it all again and start all over again on another place if that is what it takes, but before I do that, I am asking if any one here had removed the FrontPage Server Extensions from one of their sites and was able to keep that site working fine and not lose the access all the pages in order to fix any minor linking problem that might arise after the removal.

I would appreciate any impute before sunrise today about the consequences of removing the FrontPage Server Extensions from that site.

Sal.

7/3/2004 12:14 AM EDT
    ----------------------------------------

http and a telephoto
    You have to remove *all* the extra files that front page created and added to your website. And depending on what components or shared borders and theme you are using you could trash some or all of your site.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by loxly:
    You have to remove *all* the extra files that front page created and added to your website. And depending on what components or shared borders and theme you are using you could trash some or all of your site. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

"you could trash some or all of your site

Deborah,

I don't have shared borders or themes but I am afraid of this links:

&lt;!--webbot bot="HTMLMarkup" startspan--&gt;&lt;a href="http://qksrv.net/click-xxxx-xxxxx?url=http://xxx.xxx/"&gt;Sale&lt;/a&gt;&lt;!--webbot bot="HTMLMarkup" endspan --&gt;

Because they're on my data files pages.

According to your reply if I remove it, it will trash my datafile pages because the (&lt;!--webbot bot="HTMLMarkup" startspan--&gt; ) it's a frontpage component?

Sal.

http and a telephoto
    That I do not know about. I stopped using any front page components on most of my sites a couple of years ago when I lost lots of info due to the server extensions getting messed up.

I don't know which webbots are ok and which are not.

Sorry.

If you had another space, I would say load the pages without the extra files and folders into a subdir and look at them.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Thanks Deborah,

Yes, I think it will better for me to sleep over this one today and tomorrow try to experiment with the .NET version of the site, before I commit suicide with the . COM

Sal.

removing the extensions from the server will have no effect on the HTMLMarkup tags in your pages.

if you use any of the frontpage components such as the shared borders, themes, navigation, counter etc it will break your pages.
    Heidi
    "Happy are those who dream dreams and are willing to pay the price to make them come true"

Deborah and Heidi, thanks for the suggestions.
    --------------------

After I did a few tests removing some FP files and nothing bad happen, I decided to go all the way.

Wow, what a waste of space I had there before!

I always had the FrontPage Server Extensions enabled because I thought that it was a good thing to have but then when I realized that I didn't need it, I was afraid to remove the extensions and then trash some or all of my site.

On every directory I had a ( _vti_cnf) folder with a copy of all the files on that directory.

After I removed all the ( _vti_cnf) files and folders from the (public_html), I now have double the space available on my site.

I don't see a real benefit for having the Server Extensions enabled since some of the features can be done by SSI or other method with out the need to have a duplicate copy of all the files on the (public_html).

I even think that my site load faster now that I have halve the files that I had last week.

Sal.

8. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread