Super Dawg Member Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    More Clueless Merchants
    In the past couple of hours, I've received emails from two merchants, each containing the same cryptic message, saying that they have now "updated" their links, and that they "suggest" that all existing links be replaced.

No prior warning that I ever remember receiving.
    Friday late afternoon before a holiday weekend.

At least of these merchants, one I promote very, very, little, and the other carries a seasonal product line several months away from their season.

The merchants:
    UnbeatableSale.com
    SpiritHalloween.com
    Since June 10, 2012 a vegan aarf but still writing the Hound Dawg Sports Blog
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;
    "Raj, there’s no place for truth on the internet." -Howard Wolowitz[/SIZE]

Cool
    add three more in that batch:
    golfballs.com
    collegejersey and
    MightyLeaf

needless to say I'll probably get to them by the end of next week. I DO have a life!

How about this one:
    Fri, May 28, 2010 at 8:21 PM
    The Sun & Ski Sports program links have all been updated. To ensure that there are no issues with tracking, we suggest that you pull new links.
    You're kidding right? Friday night of Memorial Day weekend they announce link changes.
    :rankn-scp John - This is our chosen profession. This is our way. This is what we do.

Clueless? I don't think so. Just think of all the links that won't get updated and won't track if there are sales.
    leeann

Shoppers determine what has value and they like coupons. Stop manipulating who set the cookie just because you do not like coupon and promotional sites.

I've received those messages too. Is program management by Affiliate Traction the common denominator?
    Your Ad Here.

The culprit here is

Affiliate Traction

They manage all of these programs and are sending out all the emails.
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;

Quote Originally Posted by leeann View Post
    Clueless? I don't think so. Just think of all the links that won't get updated and won't track if there are sales.
    Clueless in the sense of how to treat affiliates.

Dishonest the the proper term if this is a planned method to get free traffic.

Tax Paying Member
    Looks like a plan to make money for someone other that the affiliate.
    You must climb this mountain. There is no elevator. ---- Don't stick your finger in the liquid nitrogen.
    Carolina China

I just sent Affiliate Attraction an email, I don't really expect an answer until Tuesday. With a situation like this, I am more inclined to delete their links than to replace them.

Fri, May 28, 2010 at 8:21 PM
    The Sun & Ski Sports program links have all been updated. To ensure that there are no issues with tracking, we suggest that you pull new links.
    I will be sure to pull all those links alright.

Yeah, I got those and a number of other emails from GAN merchants that I guess were terminated. Luckily for me I'm on my couch while my wife is out watching SITC2

Add Unbeatable Sale....also managed by AffiliateTraction. Hmmm, I just pulled the old links, much easier.

They state on their home page under Affiliate Publishers "Save Time & Hassle!" Well, they have a Survey Monkey poll (no email required) that on the 3rd page, you can answer their question: 16. What is your biggest difficulty in being an affiliate? Muhwahaha!!
    http://www.affiliatetraction.com/home/survey.html

You're not going to find info like this anywhere but on ABW!
    Last edited by JoyUnltd; May 29th, 2010 at 10:24 PM. Reason: Add link
    Renιe
    Pay no attention to that woman behind the curtain. -Wizardress of Oz

SEO: A Specialty - Web Design: Slow or outsourced andbeyond's Avatar
    The Call is coming from Inside the House!
    Quote Originally Posted by gcarson View Post
    Yeah, I got those and a number of other emails from GAN merchants that I guess were terminated. Luckily for me I'm on my couch while my wife is out watching SITC2
    It's SATC2 and I am a bit embarrassed I know that.

Affiliate Manager Ian H - TicketLiquidator's Avatar
    If you only change the anchor text of a link in CJ (but not the URL), that doesn't render the previous anchor text/link invalid, does it?

I hope not...
    [SIZE=3][COLOR=Navy][FONT=Arial]Ian Hough.
    Affiliate Program Manager, TicketLiquidator.com.
    Contact: [email]ianh@ticketliquidator.com[/email][/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE]
    Don't let your work go to waste. Sign up and get paid for all sales: [B]Onsales[/B], last-minute, etc.

If you only change the anchor text of a link in CJ (but not the URL), that doesn't render the previous anchor text/link invalid, does it?
    You can change the text of a link without affecting tracking.

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by CathyM View Post
    I just sent Affiliate Attraction an email, I don't really expect an answer until Tuesday.
    Have you got an answer from you yet?

I'm wondering if the link replace is absolutely needed or it is just one of those "fancy updates".

Yes, I did get an answer:

"The primary purpose of our notification was to inform the affiliates that they will need to update their URL appends or deeplinks to make sure they are tracking.

The reason it was a mass email is to ensure that everyone who could potentially be running URL appends or deeplinks was included.

This will not break the tracking, it will only send the traffic to the merchant homepage for URL appends and deeplinks, instead of the product specific landing page they were designed to reach."

I checked a few of my links and they seem to be ok so at this point I am not worried about it. I think what this is saying is that if you use destination url, it may no longer go to the right product, and hence go to the homepage. This is always an issue if a merchant changes a product. This is my interpretation, I think its right.

Affiliate Manager Ian H - TicketLiquidator's Avatar
    You can change the text of a link without affecting tracking.
    Thanks, mind is at rest again.

Then again, some people will tell you that my mind is always "at rest"...

Seriously, cheers for the info Cathy.
    [SIZE=3][COLOR=Navy][FONT=Arial]Ian Hough.
    Affiliate Program Manager, TicketLiquidator.com.
    Contact: [email]ianh@ticketliquidator.com[/email][/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE]
    Don't let your work go to waste. Sign up and get paid for all sales: [B]Onsales[/B], last-minute, etc.

ABW Ambassador
    Yes, I did get an answer:

"The primary purpose of our notification was to inform the affiliates that they will need to update their URL appends or deeplinks to make sure they are tracking.

The reason it was a mass email is to ensure that everyone who could potentially be running URL appends or deeplinks was included.

This will not break the tracking, it will only send the traffic to the merchant homepage for URL appends and deeplinks, instead of the product specific landing page they were designed to reach."

I checked a few of my links and they seem to be ok so at this point I am not worried about it. I think what this is saying is that if you use destination url, it may no longer go to the right product, and hence go to the homepage. This is always an issue if a merchant changes a product. This is my interpretation, I think its right.
    Thanks for the info, Cathy. I think you are right, the link updates probably will affect the deep linking links. I wish they will clarify it a little bit in their mass emails.

Quote Originally Posted by andbeyond View Post
    It's SATC2 and I am a bit embarrassed I know that.
    haha.. After I posted it I realized it was an A.. but I was a little lazy to edit it..

Its OK to admit you like SATC I would have went to the movie but I wasn't invited

21. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread