ABW Ambassador
    I've noticed a couple of the larger affiliate sites not use the 1x1 pixel images with their CJ links. Sure it signicantly helps with page download time.

Do they have a special arrangement with CJ that they don't have to use them?

Affiliate Manager AffiliateBuddha's Avatar
    I don't think that you require any "special arrangement" with CJ for doing that, not using these images does not affect tracking of your sales, they're used for the tracking of impressions for your text links.

---
    "Ambition is like love, impatient both of delays and rivals" - The Tathagata

Defender of Truth, Justice and the Affiliate Way
    It's the merchant that you should check with, just to cover your bases. Good to have their approval in writing so it can't come back on you.

Keep Your Hands Off My Cookies

quote:
    Originally posted by AffiliateBuddha:
    I don't think that you require any "special arrangement" with CJ for doing that, not using these images does not affect tracking of your sales, they're used for the tracking of impressions for your text links.

That's right. The impression stats are not important to a merchant anyway (I hope).
    That number is usually only good to determine, if an affiliate is "inactive" or not.
    If you generate sales and clicktroughs, no problem, even if you impressions are 0.

The 1pixel image is harder to relaize for dynamic content sites who have hundreds of merchants and dozens of different programs.

The Impession Tracking for Banners should be done by the merchant or program provider (like CJ). Text links should not be tracked anyway, because that does not say anything about effectiveness.
    Exceptions are listed below.

What does the impression count of "xxx.com" at the affiliate site tells you. Nothing, but that its there. Banner impressions gives you some information, but that number can be misleading, since you do not know, WHERE the banner was displayed.

Impression Counts for PERFORMANCE based programs are useless for the merchant.
    Merchants decisions for such programs are not and should not based on impressions.

I don't know why Impression Stats are still utilized for Pay-Per-Performance Programs.
    That number is ONLY interesting for the Affiliate and nobody else.

The Impression Number is only important for the merchant, if he has a PPC program or if he buys banner space at a publishers website.

Carsten

Shop-Links.net Partner
    http://www.shop-links.net

If you can't move things, try harder!

Some merchants care very much about the impression and that 1 x 1 pixel. It's best to check with the merchant. For more than one reason. Everytime you create a link a CJ there is a note at the bottom of the screen saying:

quote:
    NOTE: You must include all the above html in your links. Any missing html, including the image source, will prevent the link from tracking properly and result in a loss of commissions.

It's up to you, but if a merchant does care and you don't put it then you are at risk for them being able to reverse the commissions. Like I said it's best to ask the individual merchant and to have permission in writing. I usually use it with text links. For banner ads, where there is both the 1 x 1 pixel and the banner itself, I ask and haven't been told no yet. That's just because I would have had to create an additional field in my db and I was being lazy. Figured they could track the impression off the banner itself.

quote:
    Originally posted by BLFH:
    It's the merchant that you should check with, just to cover your bases. Good to have their approval in writing so it can't come back on you.

Yep, CJ has said and many merchant TOS state that they merchant] can invalidate sale[s] without the 1X1 [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img]

Put the 1X1 in your footer (helpful hint [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img] )

Haiko

The secret of success is constancy of purpose. ~ Disraeli

quote:
    Originally posted by Haiko:
    quote:

Yep, CJ and other networks have said as well as many merchants TOS state that they [merchants] can invalidate sale[s] without the 1X1 [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img]

Put the 1X1 in your footer (helpful hint [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img] )

Haiko_

The secret of success is constancy of purpose. ~ Disraeli_

Haiko

I thought that it is probably usefull to add an example:

Publisher (P)
    Merchant (M)
    Pay-Per-Performance Relationship.
    M pays 10% commssion for every sale coming from P.

Stats for P:
    1. Impressions: 10,000
    2. Clickthroughs: 100
    3. Sales: 2
    4. Sales Amount: $200
    5. Commission: $20
    6. Clicktrough Rate : 1.00%
    7. Conversion Rate (CR): 2.00%
    8. Earning per 1000 Impressions (EPM): $2.00
    9. Earnings per 100 Clicks (EPC): $20.00

For P are all numbers important to make decisions like: How, Where and If P wants to continue to promote M.

What is important for M?
    2. , 3. , 4. , 5. , 6. 7. and 9. thats it.
    What does 1. and 8. tell him?
    Not much, only that P would make more money, if he would change his pre-selling strategy and the way of how he promotes M.

Banner Impressions vs. Clickthrough stats are only usefull for a Merchants, when he buys Banner Impressions or Banner Space.

Carsten

Shop-Links.net Partner

And just how do you calculat 6 without 1? [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img] Sure you can do it if the publisher is running a banner ad, but not a text link.

Anyway, whether or not we think it's not necessary or a pain in the arse to have to put them, it's part of the policy which can lead to your sales being reversed. I won't encourage other publishers to leave it out without expressed permission to do so.

quote:
    quote:

Yep, CJ has said and many merchant TOS state that they merchant] can invalidate sale[s] without the 1X1 [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img]

An Advertiser with a pay-per-PERFORMANCE program who inforces that would be stupid and loose the support of a lot of their high performance affiliates. Remember, that 99% of the TOS's are just the generic CJ policies.

Its the merchants decision. Pay per PERFORMANCE or pay by IMPRESSION.

Both should not be linked together, because both of them are different online marketing techniques.

Carsten

Shop-Links.net Partner

quote:
    And just how do you calculat 6 without 1? [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img] Sure you can do it if the publisher is running a banner ad, but not a text link.

My mistake 6. is not M's business.

Conclusion
    Run a Performance Based Program and keep it PERFORMANCE based or/and go buy banner impressions and banner space somewhere else, which is a totaly different online marketing strategy.

Carsten

Shop-Links.net Partner

Yep, but do we really need another "reason" to lose sales? Ask the merchant!

BTW Carsten ... I agree 100%!

Can anyone in the class say why they (networks & merchants) ask us to put in the 1X1?

Haiko

quote:
    Can anyone in the class say why they (networks & merchants) ask us to put in the 1X1?

Documented advertising impressions billable (internally) at some "fair market value" figure so their accountants have something to fiddle around with late at night prior to the end of the fiscal year.

quote:
    Originally posted by ShoreMark:
    quote:

Documented advertising impressions billable (internally) at some "fair market value" figure so their accountants have something to fiddle around with late at night prior to the end of the fiscal year.

Nice!
    Run a PERFORMANCE based program with a banner stating "buy useless crap at ridicules prices" and kick all affiliates with 0 impressions. YEAH!
    Good for accountants. 1 thousand impessions and 0 sales = affilaiate did not uses its full sales potential. 0 impressions and 100 sales = not accountable , kick it.

hehe... Your days as company are numbered, when
    the accountant takes it over.

An accountant (controler!) is only a watchguard to provide the business development with USEFULL numbers and to tell the decision makers, what the overall result for each "plan/strategy" is.

Carsten

Shop-Links.net Partner

[This message was edited by Anne on December 22, 2002 at 02:45 AM.]

quote:
    Originally posted by Carsten, Shop-Links:
    hehe... Your days as company are numbered, when
    the accountant takes it over.

A prime example is Preston Tucker and his Torpedo.

I can see, that if it's "no problem" for the P, to put up the 1x1 pixel image (in the footer etc.), then it would be very nice for the M to see numbers.

Remember, Bosses/Managers like to see reports that include a lot of numbers.

But for a lot of Publishers, the 1x1 image really gets in the way, and sometimes impossible too (PPC ads).

An odd suggestion/question to CJ: Can I use one of the images on the site to record multiple cookies, i.e.

IMG SRC=http://cj.com/tracking/&cookies=11111+22222+33333+44444+55555&path=http://mysite.com/logo.jpg

quote:
    Originally posted by AffiliateBuddha:
    ... they're used for the tracking of impressions for your text links.

or for tracking of impressions, if the banner image is not located on the affiliate network servers (located on merchant server(s) or provided by akamai).

Carsten

Shop-Links.net Partner

BLFH

quote:
    NOTE: You must include all the above html in your links. Any missing html, including the image source, will prevent the link from tracking properly and result in a loss of commissions.

Networks do of course want, that you add the 1x1 pixel Image. That allows the calculation of the CTR and EPM.

However, that number is as I said before important to the affiliate. Its a nice to have for the merchant, but not more.

It would be very dangerous for a network to enforce the 1x1 pixel image, because it would cause tracking issues for pay-per-sale and pay-per-lead programs with cookie durations of more than 0 days (I can provide you with a practicle tracking problem example, if you want to, but I don't think it's necessary).

It would also require some extra server power for the impression vs. click vs. sale/lead validator programs. Why wants to pay that money for a nice, but useless, to have?
    I havn't seen a setting in any affiliate program network (merchant side) where you can set a flag to enforce impression prior action.

It would also piss-off super-affilates like looksmart or schoolpop and others which do not utilize the 1x1 pixel image and generate millions of dollars revenue for merchants.

Yes, it's very difficult to impossible for larger Sites, with Database generated content and affiliations with thousands of merchants through dozens of affiliate networks and own tracking mechanisms to evaluate the performance of its own site to obey the "request" , "Don't change our HTML Tracking Code".

Give me an example of a Merchant who has a pay-per-sale/lead program and does not pay, if you doesn't generate impressions?
    NetMechanic.com is the only Merchant I know, who does that. Needless to say, that we do not any business with them anymore [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img].

Carsten

Shop-Links.net Partner

20. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread