Affiliate Manager worldclassink's Avatar
    Thumbs up How to attract new SAS affiliates?
    Hello everyone.

Am i missing the obvious in my SAS merchant account, or do they not provide a means for me to recruit new publishers purposely?

As far as i can see the only way to attract new SAS affiliates within the SAS site is to pay them for assistance or placement on their site.

Our program is also listed on Google Affiliate Network and on PepperJam. On both of these sites, they allow us merchants to view and actively recruit any of the publishers in their network. SAS appears to hide the publisher info.

Can anyone tell me how to obtain the list of SAS publishers so i can recruit them as i would in the other networks? And if SAS is in fact not making this information available, can anyone offer some good advice on how best to go about recruiting new SAS affiliates?

Since we started our program with SAS about a year ago it has proven very successful and i would love to take it to the next level now and move forward full steam!

Thank you in advance everyone for any assistance you can provide.

-Scott

Outsourced Program Manager
    You need to go out and find them on ur own.

Thats what makes a good Affiliate manager is one that knows how to find the super affiliates that will drive your program forward
    Richard
    Affiliate Marketing Manager AMWSO
    Digestinol, Luxe-Design

Every child is an artist. The problem is how to remain an artist once we grow up. Pablo Picasso

15 years and counting
    Let me tell you how I work as a long time affiliate.
    Everyday I scan most networks for new merchants with potential. With potential, I mean, great products at a fair price, nice, clean website able to attract customers, I read all affiliate agreements looking for possible flaws, I check the buying process up to the cart, I evaluate if the commission offered is worth my time and I decide if I'll buy myself from this merchant. If everything is fine, I'll put this merchant on my to do list.
    Then I read everyday ABW, a few blogs and forums to check if the merchant has special offers for their affiliates, if other affiliates have any negative to report about this merchant. And I start to remove merchants from my to do list.
    Next step is to check who is affiliated with this merchant. Are the other affiliates clean or parasitic? Are these affiliates on an in-house program or an other network?
    I don't work with merchants on several networks. I can't have a true picture of the potential of merchants working with several networks. I like better to pass. At the end of the day, my to do list is not that big.
    To recruit new SAS affiliates is easy. They will find you. With SAS, its easy to reconize an outstanding merchant. SAS has very comprehensive stats.
    Even if I give preferential treatment for merchants listed on SAS, I exclude all of them listed also on GAN or Pepperjam.

Affiliate Manager worldclassink's Avatar
    sparrow low
    Thank you Richard and Zeus both for your comments.

Zeus: although i respect your view about merchants listed on more than 1 network, and that was a tough call for me to make the day i expanded from just SAS whom i started with, in my case it made more sense to work with the other networks to expand my reach. each of those networks has quite a few strong affiliates that are producing well for me that only work with GAN or PPJ and i would have lost that revenue had i stuck with just SAS.

do the gains i am getting from these exclusively GAN and PPJ publishers outweigh any lost gains i would have received from publishers exclusive to SAS that will not work with a multi-network merchant as you described? that i can not say for sure, but it appears that i made the correct decision based on the sales reports in all accounts.

Thank you again for the insight. I will continue to keep my eyes on the forums and test some new ideas to attract publishers that will work with my multi-network program.

-Scott

let me tell you how i work as a long time affiliate.
    Everyday i scan most networks for new merchants with potential. With potential, i mean, great products at a fair price, nice, clean website able to attract customers, i read all affiliate agreements looking for possible flaws, i check the buying process up to the cart, i evaluate if the commission offered is worth my time and i decide if i'll buy myself from this merchant. If everything is fine, i'll put this merchant on my to do list.
    Then i read everyday abw, a few blogs and forums to check if the merchant has special offers for their affiliates, if other affiliates have any negative to report about this merchant. And i start to remove merchants from my to do list.
    Next step is to check who is affiliated with this merchant. Are the other affiliates clean or parasitic? Are these affiliates on an in-house program or an other network?
    I don't work with merchants on several networks. I can't have a true picture of the potential of merchants working with several networks. I like better to pass. At the end of the day, my to do list is not that big.
    To recruit new sas affiliates is easy. They will find you. With sas, its easy to reconize an outstanding merchant. Sas has very comprehensive stats.
    Even if i give preferential treatment for merchants listed on sas, i exclude all of them listed also on gan or pepperjam.
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by Zeus View Post
    Everyday I scan most networks for new merchants with potential. With potential, I mean, great products at a fair price, nice, clean website able to attract customers, I read all affiliate agreements looking for possible flaws, I check the buying process up to the cart, I evaluate if the commission offered is worth my time and I decide if I'll buy myself from this merchant. If everything is fine, I'll put this merchant on my to do list.
    Then I read everyday ABW, a few blogs and forums to check if the merchant has special offers for their affiliates, if other affiliates have any negative to report about this merchant. And I start to remove merchants from my to do list.
    To recruit new SAS affiliates is easy. They will find you. With SAS, its easy to reconize an outstanding merchant. SAS has very comprehensive stats.
    Even if I give preferential treatment for merchants listed on SAS, I exclude all of them listed also on GAN or Pepperjam.
    +2
    (Bolding by me for emphasis.)

Network Rep & ABW Ambassador Carolyn - ShareASale's Avatar
    Hi Scott,
    Actually, there are a few ways to recruit affiliates and invite them into your program in ShareASale. My first suggestion would be to make use of the Affiliate Aquarium, which is a network-only social platform that enables you to search for affiliates by category and/or keyword, and direct message them if you would like to invite them to join your program. Keep in mind that with affiliate recruiting, personal, sincere invitations are certainly more effective than blanket email drops.

Additionally, our Coupons and Deals database is a great way to reach out to all affiliates within the ShareASale network. When you post something in there, it gets syndicated to all opt-in affiliates via an RSS feed, and is listed in our database that many affiliates pull from regularly.

Finally, active and true participation on ABW goes a long way in recruiting affiliates, because not only does it personify the individual behind the affiliate manager title, but it also lends credibility to your efforts.

I hope that helps, please feel free to contact me if you'd like to discuss this further.
    best,
    Carolyn
    ShareASale Client Services
    Y!: SAS_CTang
    e: ctang(at)shareasale.com

Network Rep & ABW Ambassador Carolyn - ShareASale's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeus View Post
    +3, ty

ABW Ambassador
    Besides what others have said above, if you have a well organized datafeed available, submit it to the free datafeed integration services such as popshops, goldencan...

Over the years, I've joined many merchants thru searching for specific products that fits my sites thru popshops, goldencan...and other. When a merchant's products show up on my search result, I will check into the merchant’s site, check into their affiliate program... if everything is all good, I'll join them.

It works better than sending solicitation emails to affiliates.

ABW Ambassador
    A lot of those publishers that are exclusive to GAN or PPJ are not allowed in Shareasale because of what they do.

Having multiple networks may make sense to you, but to a lot of affiliates, it is just a big sign that says 'don't work with me'

First, to reply to your initial question, you should never rely on an affiliate network to recruit your publishers. Every successful merchant tells the same story: their best-performing publisher relationships all came from direct contact between the merchant and publisher. For some suggestions on strategies to recruit publishers, see the "free affiliate-program advice for merchants" link in my signature, below (the sixth linked article is "Affiliate Recruitment Strategies").

Second, I'll echo the concerns about "multiple-network" merchants. While I recognize the "temptation and promise" that appear to arise by using multiple affiliate networks, the technical problems and risk of abuse are both huge.

I'm not going to get into a huge debate, but I think it's fair to say that if you work with less-reputable affiliate networks (like PJN) and especially if "parasites" appear to participate in your program, then you'll probably see much less advertising exposure through many ethical, serious publishers.

Every merchant is presented with a series of choices, and the "easy way" almost always results in choices that lead to the "superficial appearance of success" instead of actual success. In this case, if you allow less-ethical affiliate networks to guide you, you'll soon see evidence of "increased sales" and you'll be paying more money to those networks. But if you do some in-depth analysis, I think you'll find that much of the "increased sales" turn out to be "re-allocated attribution" (transactions you acquired through other marketing channels, but somehow certain affiliates "poached" credit).

When I did affiliate-program consulting for merchants, I had the opportunity to review transaction and log data for several merchants who hired me because they couldn't understand why their highly-successful affiliate programs didn't seem to help the bottom line. In each case, I quickly identified individual participants ("affiliates," few of whom were actually "publishers") who were "poaching" credit for transactions they didn't influence.

The slot machine that IS paid! Billy Kay's Avatar
    I have a nasty autoresponder I'll be happy to send you

Two other Networks allow merchants to "recruit"... meaning they can SPAM everyone on the Network.

NONE are ever related to what I do.

Their reasons for contacting me are useless: "We noticed you are merchandiser enabled", which means our totally unrelated products are a good match for your site.

I've complained, but the fine print is you can stop merchants from sending you regular emails, but you can't stop them from spamming you from inside the Network Interface.

There are many more ways to recruit quality affiliates then Network spam

All My Best,
    Billy

I'm working up a marketing plan right now for this. It involves an ABW announcement, Featured Promotion on SAS, advertising on ABW, and lots of personal recruitment. Pretend to be an affiliate and search for your product/service. Check out who else is selling similar things. Contact potential affiliates personally with a real email and tell them why they should join and promote you by telling them how it will benefit them.

Networks are great, but they are not there to help you recruit. They are there to make it easier for affiliates and to help you set up a program.
    Brad Waller | VP, Business and Affiliate Development
    EPage.com

14. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread