Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Affiliate Manager
    tips on how to find good affiliates
    Hi, we're starting an affiliate program, and I would just like to ask anybody here on how and where to find and recruit good affiliates? We're mainly into baby shower favors and bridal and wedding favors.
    Thanks

Outsourced Program Manager Nathan Weinberg's Avatar
    Depends on what network you are on. Some have better tools, others not so much. Besides that, ABW is a great place to find affiliates (and a paid announcement isn't supposed to be too expensive).
    [FONT=Century Gothic][SIZE=2]Nathan Weinberg[/SIZE][/FONT]
    [SIZE=1]Outsourced Program Manager
    Blue Cherry Group
    :envelope:[/SIZE] [SIZE=1] nweinberg(at)bluecherrygroup(dotcom) :telephone[/SIZE] [SIZE=1]646.290.8127 x203[/SIZE]

ABW Ambassador
    Like it has been said here many times before, if you built it - they will come. If your program is well run, parasite-free and converts well (amongst many other factors), the Super Affiliates will find you. In the meantime, being active here at ABW is a great way to build your programs credibility in the affiliate community.

ABW Ambassador
    You are in the right place. ABW is a great place for affiliates and merchants to mingle. If you have a good program, affiliates will find you.

Of course, if you have a junky program, then forget it, nobody will be interested.

Affiliate Manager
    Agree with all the above mentioned.

You can join different forums and by helping other people you will get in touch with many affiliates

Good Luck

Affiliate Manager
    Hi Nathan. We are actually in ShareaSale and I know they're great. We have around 40+ affiliates already who have joined and mostly are coupon sites.But we're not really excited to have coupon affiliates because we believe that they're not really giving us new traffic or sales.We want those affiliates that would give us new traffic and hopefully new sales.

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by MyBabyShowerFavors View Post
    But we're not really excited to have coupon affiliates because we believe that they're not really giving us new traffic or sales.
    If you don't want coupon affiliates, then do not allow coupon affiliates.

Why do you think that coupon affiliates are not giving you new traffic or sales? Do you believe that traffic would come to your website anyway?

Affiliate Manager
    If you don't want coupon affiliates, then do not allow coupon affiliates.
    Couldn't agree more.

Affiliate Manager
    Thanks for the reply CanadianDave. I think you have pointed out two fields that we would really like to learn about: 1. parasite free program and 2. high conversion program. Any insights or suggestions on how to achieve these would be greatly appreciated.

http and a telephoto
    See the threads in the Merchant Best Practices posts:
    http://abestweb.com/bestpractices
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Affiliate Manager
    Hi Julian. Thanks for taking time to answer my posts here. About coupon affiliates,we believe that they're not really giving new traffic because our assumption is people who look for coupons and actually use it are people who already knew about our site and are just there in coupon sites to get the coupon or discounts. Our assumption might be wrong. Any insights about this?

http and a telephoto
    Coupon sites have their own traffic that could be searching for products like yours. If they find a coupon on a coupon site they then click to you. They might not know about you at all without that site having a page dedicated to your program. That is the point of any type of affiliate site, they get traffic that you don't.
    Deborah Carney

ABW Ambassador
    Hi Julian. Thanks for taking time to answer my posts here. About coupon affiliates,we believe that they're not really giving new traffic because our assumption is people who look for coupons and actually use it are people who already knew about our site and are just there in coupon sites to get the coupon or discounts. Our assumption might be wrong. Any insights about this?
    There are some very good coupon affiliate sites that do a lot of work to create a loyal following. Having your website listed may mean that you get a visitor that has never heard of your company. They end up at your site because the coupon affiliate has recommended you.

Do you offer coupons?

Affiliate Manager
    Hi Victoria. Thanks for joining here. Looking forward to learn and share ideas with you

Affiliate Manager
    Do you offer coupons?
    Right now we're not offering any coupons. But we're working on it. The coupons might be available a week or two from now.

Outsourced Program Manager Nathan Weinberg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Julian View Post
    There are some very good coupon affiliate sites that do a lot of work to create a loyal following. Having your website listed may mean that you get a visitor that has never heard of your company. They end up at your site because the coupon affiliate has recommended you.

Do you offer coupons?
    Of course, there is also the alternative. Coupon sites that have no community, just traffic from SEO and AdWords searches for "store + coupon" and spider the networks and post all coupon links. Their traffic can be 90% current customers looking for coupons, meaning they bring almost no new customers and cost you x% off all orders. That is why it pays to know your affiliates, know which coupon sites bring value and which don't.
    [FONT=Century Gothic][SIZE=2]Nathan Weinberg[/SIZE][/FONT]
    [SIZE=1]Outsourced Program Manager
    Blue Cherry Group
    :envelope:[/SIZE] [SIZE=1] nweinberg(at)bluecherrygroup(dotcom) :telephone[/SIZE] [SIZE=1]646.290.8127 x203[/SIZE]

Affiliate Manager
    See the threads in the Merchant Best Practices posts:
    http://abestweb.com/bestpractices
    Hi Loxly. Thanks and I will look up the threads there.

And thank you for the additional info about coupon affiliates. Any idea on how much commission should a coupon affiliate gets?Any standard rate for them?

Going back to the original question about how to recruit good affiliates, I'll echo the suggestion to spend some time in the "Merchant Best Practices" forum; I also encourage you to explore the "Affiliate Recruitment Strategies" article within my "Free Affiliate-Program Advice for Merchants" (see the link in my signature, below).

Affiliate Manager
    Quote Originally Posted by Nathan Weinberg View Post
    Of course, there is also the alternative. Coupon sites that have no community, just traffic from SEO and AdWords searches for "store + coupon" and spider the networks and post all coupon links. Their traffic can be 90% current customers looking for coupons, meaning they bring almost no new customers and cost you x% off all orders. That is why it pays to know your affiliates, know which coupon sites bring value and which don't.
    Thanks Nathan. This is what we're suspecting about coupon affiliates. But like as what have been said, there are good coupon affiliates too that really bring in new traffic and new sales. Since we're new to these stuffs,how would we know or determine coupon sites that bring value to us or which ones don't?

Affiliate Manager
    Quote Originally Posted by markwelch View Post
    Going back to the original question about how to recruit good affiliates, I'll echo the suggestion to spend some time in the "Merchant Best Practices" forum; I also encourage you to explore the "Affiliate Recruitment Strategies" article within my "Free Affiliate-Program Advice for Merchants" (see the link in my signature, below).
    Hi Mark. I'm very honored to have you here in my thread. I am new to this affiliate marketing world, and the first name I knew about affiliate management was you. I have read your Affiliate marketing articles and they're great. I'll be reading the articles you have posted here because I know,they will help me a lot. Looking forward to have regular correspondences with you. Thanks again.

http and a telephoto
    Nathan, you are painting an inaccurate picture. No matter what "type" of affiliates you have they can bring value or not. You are painting coupon affiliates with a broad brush that will color a new affiliate manager's judgement.

Affiliate managers should review sites that apply for their programs, have a terms of service in place that restricts what kinds of affiliates you want to have, and then enforce that. If you are a new brand, someone bidding on your site name + coupons is actually helping you, not hurting you. Many shoppers won't make a purchase decision without having a coupon or deal in hand.

You don't have to have "coupons" to be listed on a coupon site, you can have free shipping, or some deal, or an item on sale.

Be careful with painting a group of affiliates with a broad statement. And coupon affiliates should be paid the same commission as any other affiliate, unless you clearly state upfront in your Terms of Service that you are paying them a different amount.
    Deborah Carney

15 years and counting
    I had a look at the SERPs for Baby Shower Favors coupons or Baby Shower coupons or Baby Favors coupons ...
    MyBabyShowerFavors is nowhere to be seen.
    WHY are you thinking coupon sites are going to take your traffic? You have none.
    Listen to loxly or stop your affiliate program right now. It's not going to work if you feel that way.

Affiliate Manager
    Quote Originally Posted by loxly View Post
    Affiliate managers should review sites that apply for their programs, have a terms of service in place that restricts what kinds of affiliates you want to have, and then enforce that. If you are a new brand, someone bidding on your site name + coupons is actually helping you, not hurting you. Many shoppers won't make a purchase decision without having a coupon or deal in hand.
    Thank You very much loxly for clearing up our mind about coupon sites. You have been more than helpful here.And with your timely advice here,we can now proceed with more confidence and trust, but still with vigilance,that coupon sites can really bring value to us.And as a new AM, I should be more conscientious in performing my duty in reviewing affiliates and putting up preventive measures against abusive and rogue ones. And we,specially me, have to learn a lot about this.But it's nice to know that people , like you are here and ready to help. I salute you!

Hi Nathan. We are actually in ShareaSale and I know they're great. We have around 40+ affiliates already who have joined and mostly are coupon sites.But we're not really excited to have coupon affiliates because we believe that they're not really giving us new traffic or sales.We want those affiliates that would give us new traffic and hopefully new sales.
    Your belief that coupon affiliates will not give you new traffic or sales is clearly an assumption, not an absolute.

Also, the fact you are not excited about having 'coupon' affiliates shows in a 50% commission decrease for coupon sites ( 4% vs 8%). I am sure not many will be breaking down your store to run your program with that attitude and commission rate.

Many of the coupon sites here on ABW have had sites long before the term 'coupon site' ever evolved and we have loyal followers who come to our sites out of habit after shopping for multiple children with us ( My site, for example has been online 11 years and 95% of my traffic is direct type in, not search).

Please educate yourself and try not to lump all 'coupon sites' into a category of useless commission stealers. Many of us have worked many many years to build a loyal following and we can and DO send sales that you probably would not get otherwise.

It is a hasty assumption to lump us all together. There *are* some sites that are spammy and unethical, and most of your ethical 'coupon' sites would agree with you, especially since they give us all a bad name.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeus View Post
    I had a look at the SERPs for Baby Shower Favors coupons or Baby Shower coupons or Baby Favors coupons ...
    MyBabyShowerFavors is nowhere to be seen.
    WHY are you thinking coupon sites are going to take your traffic? You have none.
    Listen to loxly or stop your affiliate program right now. It's not going to work if you feel that way.
    omg, you made me so laugh, i needed that.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast