Ok this is the scenerio......

When you open an account with commission junction you give them ONE primary website (default) and then once your in your can add more sites into your account..

Ok so lets say you have a

loan site
    hosting site
    dating site
    credit

and your primary one you joined with was loan site... ok... now lets say you decide to promote dating sites... so you go to all the merchants and apply... now other than thie silly thing with geographic location crap... another reason people decline you and you have to spend another 48hrs getting in contact with them to explain is basically down to a simple thing that could be resolved by commission junction called..... when applying to a merchant you should be able to indicate to them what site you wish to promote them on, instead what happens is ( and this is where it gets confusing, even after asking a customer rep at cj, what do they see) I was told they see all your websites in your account... BUT... the intially see the one you signed up for...

Well hey GREAT!!!..... so the DATING merchants who im applying to scans down and likes to make split second decisions sees my LOAN site, but not my DATING site which appearly to see that they wuold have to hit a dropdown list, similar to whats in your websettings...

So without further investigation to see if you have a dating site you are wanting to promote them on.. they hit DECLINE.. as they think you want to promote their dating services on a LOAN site..... NOW HOW INSANE is that!!!

so now ive waited 24hrs to hear back.. OH im declined.. i wonder why? I then email them back, wait another 24hrs explaining ' I HOPE YOUR GOT THIS SITE " list my dating site"

they then reply back 24hrs later...sometimes 48hrs and say OH>... you do have a dating site.. ok ill approve you...

So whats happened here? why the fuss.... well!!! other than it take 48hrs to almost 72hrs sometimes longer to get approved as i have had to mail them to explain what could have been easily seen if CJ would setup a simple RADIO box beside any merchant you apply to ,, letting them know what site.. you plan to promote them on...... I mean come on.. if im applying to a Dating site... I want them to see my dating review site... not my other unrelated sites!!!... like come on CJ.... someone on your board who created accounts needs to use some common sense and add a small update in cj accounts..

when i explained this to the rep they said... I see your point Sir... only suggestion we can give you is to Open another account for each website you wish to promote LOL.... great now i have multiple username and passwords to remember, not like i havent already got 100 to remember.!

other than that they said keep one account and when declined enjoy emailing them and explaining that NO... its not my loan site.. its my dating site i wish to promote you on...

OH my word....!!

The slot machine that IS paid! Billy Kay's Avatar
    Here's how I approach this (none of my sites are related either)

1. I contact the AM BEFORE I apply. This way I know what to expect (responsive, non-responsive), and the AM knows to look for my application (should I decide to apply)

2. Where the networks make you put your URL, create a page that lists all your sites (a thumbnail screenshot of each and brief description of each), and only use this page as your url for ALL networks.

3. This lets the AM know you're a "pro" (you have 2 dozen websites), and it should let him know how you plan on promoting his company at a glance.

Outsourced Program Manager
    Hi LastHope,

Thought I'd weigh in from the AM in Commission Junction perspective. When I go through a list of affiliate applications I can see the affiliate name. I then click and a pop up appears with all associated Web sites listed. You can see a half dozen sites or so before you're forced to scroll.

When I look the quality of the site is what's important, not the topic. Presumably if you can make a nice financial page you can also make a nice shoes page. The only affiliates that are hard to guage are ones who list dozens of folders or subdomains for single Web sites.

If you apply for my program I can email you a screen shot of what your application looks like.

Regards,
    Brook Schaaf
    Schaaf-PartnerCentric
    p/f: 512.464.1122
    Skype - brookschaaf
    www.schaafpc.com | brook@schaafpc.com

http and a telephoto
    Brook, it seems that you are the exception rather than the norm. My original site with all the networks was a cattery web site. I breed cats and for a couple of years that was my only website. But it had a subdirectory called Marketplace and that was my original attempt at affiliate marketing. I actually did quite well with a couple of merchants there. But even after adding many new sites, I still get declines from merchants that only saw loxly.com and the cats. I changed my main site from loxly.com to something else after I finally figured out how, but AM's still don't appear to look at breadth and depth, just the first site listed.

However, now that I am at a whole 4 bars I am getting invites from programs that turned me down in the past.... hummmm... do I still want to promote them??? We'll see.......
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

well, the fact remains that you can register each site you have with CJ,add specific site information, and the merchants are able to see the urls.

finally.

Outsourced Program Manager
    I can't speak for everyone else but I can say I think it's cool that "cattery" is a real word. ;0
    Brook Schaaf
    Schaaf-PartnerCentric
    p/f: 512.464.1122
    Skype - brookschaaf
    www.schaafpc.com | brook@schaafpc.com

I was about to ask.. heh.. cattery

I wouldn't judge an affilates ability by checking one url and assuming the rest are as good(or bad). Some start off knowing little and as they get better with html, css, php, etc new sites start looking better and better.. sometimes.

When I start another site I can put more attention to the look of it now that I know the underworkings of apache, php, mysql, css, etc. But you can safely say my first round of sites were function over form

http and a telephoto
    LOL, I breed and show maine coon cats. And cattery is a very real word. Dog people have kennels, cat people have catteries.

Here is a link to my "cattery" site, but if you go look you have to promise not to critique, building other sites has taken precedence over updating this particular site. There are broken links and all kinds of yucky stuff!!!!

http://loxly.com/maincoon.htm
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

The affiliate formerly known as ojmoo
    Does that mean you breed nuns in nunneries or cans in canneries?

Mike

10. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread