Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Question Should affiliates use Google Analytics ??
    After reading about the changes in Google the past few weeks it been said that affiliates that use Google Analytics are giving Google a lot of information about our traffic and sites that they can in turn use to compete with affiliates and also by knowing our bounce rates etc... they can also rank you lower if your bounce rates are high, etc....

So my questions are:

Should Affiliates use Google Analytics on their sites??

Do you think Google will rank us lower if they see our bounce rates are high on a given site via our Google Analytics data (etc...) ???

Is their a replacement for Google Analytics ??
    MERCHANTS: Start showing your coupons directly on your site, that way your shoppers will stop leaving your site looking for them!! If not then remove your Coupon Box!!

15 years and counting
    Is their a replacement for Google Analytics ??
    Sure, several...
    I've never used Google Analytics for that same reason.
    Google is no more a partner but a competitor. Why do you want to give your business plan to a competitor?
    Google has already too much power.

here is an AWESOME alternative I use http://pmetrics.performancing.com/ real-time anlaytics for free!
    Jason Rubacky - CEO/SEO Nerd at PassTheSEO
    jason at passtheseo dot com
    @jasonrubacky

Personally, I really question all the near-paranoia so many people feel about Google. But ...

... the flat out best G. Analytics replacement software I've ever seen is Piwiki, here:

http://piwik.org/
    Generate more fake news.

Good alternatives, thanks for posting. Definitely unwise to give the 800 lb gorilla more data than they already have!

As an affiliate, I'd prefer a 100% bounce rate -- if all the customers clicked through to the merchant and bought something! But you're right, that would look to big G that my site was either uninformative, irrelevant, or too thin.
    Your Ad Here.

ABW Ambassador
    I don't use Google Analytics much not because I'm afraid of giving G my site information(they will get it anyway) but simply because I have more important projects to be done. I have Google Analytics installed on one of my site a while ago. I ended up spending too much time on analyzing the data and trying to adjust things on that site...

I will still check the data once in a while if I have time, but not get myself sucked into it too much.

ABW Ambassador
    To the question, no. There are other options out there.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Rubacky View Post
    here is an AWESOME alternative I use http://pmetrics.performancing.com/ real-time anlaytics for free!
    Looks cool but it says - "So set yourself apart by getting the best blog statistics package on the market, starting at only $2.99 per month."

Is there some other free basic version or something?

Quote Originally Posted by Trust View Post
    To the question, no. There are other options out there.

Looks cool but it says - "So set yourself apart by getting the best blog statistics package on the market, starting at only $2.99 per month."

Is there some other free basic version or something?
    ya.. there is a free version which gives you pretty much anything you need from live tracking page to page, naming IP's keywords, outbound links etc etc.

i think the paid one is if you wanted to run multiple sites via 1 account and has a few additional bells and whistles. but i have not found a reason to pay for it.

I think i would even pay the $2.99 if it came to that one day just because having the "real-time" data is priceless!!! Still amazes me that the "G" is not real time...
    Jason Rubacky - CEO/SEO Nerd at PassTheSEO
    jason at passtheseo dot com
    @jasonrubacky

I like using the eXTReMe Tracker .
    I think the free version gives great insight but some webmasters/affiliates feel negative about the fact that free statistics are published.
    It is true that the free version is published but it is done in such a rapid manner that someone else could be confused about the output because only the "Last 20" of a certain type of statistic is displayed.

With the eXTReMe Tracker you get every advanced feature required to picture the visitors of your website. Conveniently arranged, numbers, percentages, stats, totals and averages. All the way up from simple counting your visitors until tracking the keywords they use to find you.

Information you can't website without!
    • Real-time reporting
    • Wide range of specifications
    • Extensive referrer tracking
    • JavaScript optimized (5 times faster)
    • Your time zone
    • No traffic limitations
    • Setup within a few minutes
    • Completely FREE!
    http://extremetracking.com/?home
    Free Tracker
    The most popular free website tracker on the Internet!
    http://extremetracking.com/?reg

You have a paid option if you would like to keep everything private
    *OR*
    You can do what I do to confuse people who look at your tracker.
    You can get multiple trackers: one for each section or you can use the same code on everything. The fact that you can put one code on all of your sites or half of your site or whatever you want gives flexibility to the use of the tracker.
    You can have as many free trackers as you want.
    I love it

The updates on the public stats are replaced rapidly [in terms of time and in terms of traffic].
    I don't think many people who visit a site are enthusiastic about visiting a tracker -- the majority -- I kinda like looking at trackers

I went in-depth into my praise of the extreme tracker in this thread:
    http://www.abestweb.com/forums/showt...hlight=tracker
    Last edited by Rhia7; June 2nd, 2010 at 06:03 PM.
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

Can anyone name a tracking option that is free and better than the extreme tracker?

Other than Google -- it has to be free and it has to beat out the features of the extreme tracker
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

Back to one of the original questions
    "Do you think Google will rank us lower if they see our bounce rates are high on a given site via our Google Analytics data (etc...) ???"

Matt Cutts says no.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CgBw9...layer_embedded

I don't think google search usees google analytics for SERPS ranking however I do think they use the information from the search results when searchers leave google, go to a site, and return to google to look for more answers.

Quote Originally Posted by CathyM View Post
    .......... however I do think they use the information from the search results when searchers leave google, go to a site, and return to google to look for more answers.
    Yes I think you are right, when I looking at where my traffic is coming from I sometime click on the google/bing/etc search where my site was found so I can see a) what they searched for b) What position my site is at c) what other sites are listed etc..

When I do this I never know what I should be doing as far as clink on mine/other sites listing or not clicking on any site listed at all. I thinking no matter what I do It may hurt.
    MERCHANTS: Start showing your coupons directly on your site, that way your shoppers will stop leaving your site looking for them!! If not then remove your Coupon Box!!

I find it interesting to think that you all feel Google doesn't get this data without having GA installed on your sites

At worst, MOST of your sites are giving 60% of this data to them without it. If you have an unusual percentage of traffic coming from social media or other search engines, it might be less than that.

Your primary concern at the moment should be Google's move to an SSL search parameter that will render ALL other analytics systems next to useless.

I write about it on my analytics blog linked somewhere in my signature.

Overall though? Google Analytics is no concern today, a modest concern tomorrow, and the ONLY way you'll get most of your data depending on searchers adaptation in the future.

If they opt for SSL search, Google owns the whole understanding of the clickstream. You can see where that will head.
    Kevin Webster
    twitter: levelanalytics

Kayak Fishing
    Web Analytics and Affiliate Marketing

Quote Originally Posted by CathyM View Post
    I don't think google search usees google analytics for SERPS ranking...
    I'm not so sure about that. In 2008, at Think Tank, I created a site. I bought the domain, installed Wordpress, and installed Google Analytics. Then, I wrote two blog posts to it. This happened in the span of a day. Two days later, I was ranked third for my main keyword.

I had no back links.
    I had no real content to speak of.
    I had zero traffic. None. Not one visitor.

All I had was GA installed, two pieces of content, and my main keyword was in my site title and in the post titles.

Now, granted, my site didn't last long in that position, and it was a very, very uncompetitive niche (and ultimately one with no money ). But how else could Google even know it existed?

I think you may be right that they don't necessarily look at your stats to determine ranking... in a meaningful way. After all, I had no stats to speak of. But they did discover and index my site solely because I installed GA.
    Daniel M. Clark
    Tech Manager
    Greg Hoffman Consulting

ABW Ambassador
    "But how else could Google even know it existed?"

"Then, I wrote two blog posts to it."

When you post, you ping Google. I don't have Analytics and brand new blogs I've started get into Google usually in a few days.

Mmm. I didn't realize that. I knew that pingomatic is used by default in Wordpress, I didn't make the connection between that and Google. Duh. Don't know why that didn't occur to me.

Thanks, Trust.
    Daniel M. Clark
    Tech Manager
    Greg Hoffman Consulting

"I bought the domain, installed Wordpress, and installed Google Analytics."
    Google is a registrar, they find sites through registration, they also pick up wordpress blogs. They also can find sites via the google toolbar. My point was that they do not rank sites based on Google Analytics. I don't know if they "find" sites based on Google Analytics, they might.

Ranking high for a short period of time and then tanking is a common phenomenon for new sites.

Edit, seems I was typing the same time as Trust, agree with what he said.

ABW Ambassador
    "Your primary concern at the moment should be Google's move to an SSL search parameter that will render ALL other analytics systems next to useless."

If I'm reading it right, it's just an option or will it be default? If it's just an option, it'll rarely get used.

Just read some more on it. It's just an option, not default. So majority will still use the regular Google.

"At worst, MOST of your sites are giving 60% of this data to them without it."

They do know a lot already, no point in giving your competitor the rest of it freely.

Quote Originally Posted by Trust View Post
    "Your primary concern at the moment should be Google's move to an SSL search parameter that will render ALL other analytics systems next to useless."

If I'm reading it right, it's just an option or will it be default? If it's just an option, it'll rarely get used.

Just read some more on it. It's just an option, not default. So majority will still use the regular Google.

"At worst, MOST of your sites are giving 60% of this data to them without it."

They do know a lot already, no point in giving your competitor the rest of it freely.
    Just an option. For now

EDIT: I wanted to add that there's a solid "for profit" business case for Google to go SSL. With web analytics becoming a more main stream operation for many many businesses, the ability for Google to exclusively control that data has got to be on their radar.

Whether they choose to provide some of it for free through GA, and all of it to AdWords advertisers, or whatever, I suggest there's a change coming in the way this data is dispersed.
    Last edited by Kevin; June 3rd, 2010 at 08:38 AM. Reason: Additions
    Kevin Webster

Kayak Fishing

ABW Ambassador
    "Just an option. For now"

Not according to Google/Matt Cutts.

http://www.mattcutts.com/blog/google-secure-search/

And it wouldn't be a solid business move making it default and setting yourself up to be sued to death.

As Google points out, it's also a little slower than regular Google and Google likes to be fast.

Most people don't care. Most regular people will never even know this exists. Some people will like and use this option but even some people it's geared to, privacy types, are the same that aren't too keen with Google and one company having all that info. This is kind of like another doom and gloom type thing that'll never come to pass. I understand they use it thru Gmail and such but I don't see it ever being default Google search.

And it wouldn't be a solid business move making it default and setting yourself up to be sued to death.
    On what grounds? It's Google's page, and initially their traffic.

This is kind of like another doom and gloom type thing that'll never come to pass.
    This is your standard response for anything you disagree with that has a potential downside. I don't see it that way.

SSL speed can be improved with technology. It might be expansive, but Google has deep pockets.

I'm not saying that Google intends to make it the default. Only they know that. But if you never question anything, it never gets addressed.
    Kevin Webster

Kayak Fishing

ABW Ambassador
    "This is your standard response for anything you disagree with that has a potential downside. I don't see it that way."

Exactly, and I'm usually right. One day when I'm really bored, I'll start this super long thread so people understand some of the history. Look at your post:

Zero concern to me because the statement is false to begin with. Just an option.

"On what grounds? It's Google's page, and initially their traffic."

Forgot the legal reason but something when you get as big as they do, the government regulators would step in. This wasn't even a big deal over at Webmasterworld, just a couple pages, somebody said:

"For that very reason I suspect competition regulators would have something to say of Google Analytics got information their rivals could not get."

Some more:
    "This is the sort of thing that can lead to an antitrust lawsuit. So far Google has managed to spin it as a consumer-friendly privacy feature, but we’ll see if that lasts."

http://perimetergrid.com/wp/2010/05/...le-ssl-search/

The legal reason I was looking for, antitrust - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antitrust

It's just not going to be allowed to happen, that in order to get stats, everybody would have to use Google.

Of course, it's Google so I wouldn't put it past them trying. So who knows.
    Last edited by Trust; June 3rd, 2010 at 11:49 PM.

According to an article {[B]NOT[B] from an affiliate blog/site} the Top 10 Free Web Analytics Tools are:
    • Google Analytics
    • Yahoo! Web Analytics
    • Snoop
    • Piwik
    • Blog Tracker
    • Woopra
    • FireStats
    • GoingUp
    • Clicky
    • JAWStats

Top 10 Free Web Analytics Tools
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

I'm getting to the point where it's not healthy for me to respect, loath, or fear Google. I'm going to use GA when it suits me and the rest of the time no. I'm tired of trying to ask myself "what does Google want?" or "what will Google do?"

To my understanding, every webmaster/blogger should stop using:

Google Analytics
    Feedburner
    Google Site Search (powered by Google)

There are alternatives! Just need to explore.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast