Affiliate Manager
    What incentives do you want??
    Hi,

I'm just just wondering what sorts of incentives attract you to become an affiliate for a merchant and start promoting their offers??

For example is a simple increase in commission when you reach a set number of sales the most important thing??

What about competitions? We are a hosting company so, what sorts of things would you like to win - free hosting for a year, free domain names?
    Or prizes like ipods, cash prizes..etc?

Let me know what you think

Michelle Terry
    mterry@names.co.uk

Affiliate Manager ParadigmWilliam's Avatar
    You could have huge incentives but if your product isn't good or doesn't convert it won't make a difference to the affiliate. Good incentives work best with good products that convert.

I could offer an affiliate a car if they sold three overpriced houses. Make sense?

Another note, don't make prizes out of reach or hard to get. Don't offer an ipod if the affiliate has to bring in $10,000 month on $.50 products.

I like cash prizes or gift cards. You could also offer them discounts or gift cards for your products.

Competitions are great for certain merchants. I hate competitions though on CPA networks because the "affiliates" that always win or other CPA networks masking as affiliates to run the offers on their network. If you do want to do a competition I suggest having it based on each affiliates performance from the previous month (make some limits though for affiliates that haven't had any sales from the previous month)

Lastly, take care of your best affiliates first. Make them feel special. 1 good affiliate is worth 1,000 crappy affiliates.
    [URL="http://www.manageaffiliatelinks.com/"][COLOR="Red"][B]Manage Affiliate Links[/B][/COLOR][/URL] - Redirect Dead, Expired, or Broken Links

[URL="http://www.wpcoupon.com/"][COLOR="Blue"][B]WP Coupon[/B][/COLOR][/URL] - Turn Wordpress into a Coupon Site!

Incentives don't do it for many. I prefer to look longterm.

We need merchants that value affiliates and customers. Is the merchant website a quality website, Is the program run in a manner that is fair to all affiliates, is it based on good ethics, does tracking function, are there leaks, do my visitors want the products, do I trust the network the program is on, do I trust the program manager, do I trust the merchant to provide my visitors with quality service,....

Incentives may help you short term but they are not a long term solution for finding and keeping affiliates. Run a good clean program and it will prosper.

As far as contests or incentives - An ipod, although nice, is not going to pay the bills. Cash is better Also I suggest tiered rewards so that even smaller affiliates have a chance to win. Percentage increase over previous month, first sale, 10 th sale and so on..
    Melanie
    President - Affiliate Advocacy 2008 ShareaSale Performance Industry Advocate Award, 2009 Affiliate Summit Pinnacle Award - Affiliate Advocate
    Affiliate Advocacy
    NYAffiliateVoice Seery Writing

Affiliate Manager
    Thanks for the reply, v useful. I completely agree that affiliates see through a meaningless competition with some impossible to win prize. Discounts on products, yeh I think this can be a good incentive and gives the affiliates more knowledge and experience of the products they are promoting.
    I like your idea of basing it on last month, you mean as in who has improved the most since the previous month?
    Contact is a good point, I think building relationships with affiliates, especially the most loyal and good performing ones is key.
    thanks for your thoughts

Anyone else, I look forward to hearing your comments

Michelle

I forgot to mention, you also need to provide affiliates with tools so that they can promote you. Clean datafeed, large assortment of banners, targeted landing pages for all links, being accessible, timely response to affiliate emails or calls...

All of these points mean affiliate will have greater opportunity to generate income; that is our real incentive.
    Melanie
    President - Affiliate Advocacy 2008 ShareaSale Performance Industry Advocate Award, 2009 Affiliate Summit Pinnacle Award - Affiliate Advocate
    Affiliate Advocacy
    NYAffiliateVoice Seery Writing

Mellie hit the nail on the head!

Tax Paying Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bibby View Post
    Mellie hit the nail on the head!
    Right On

Affiliates are here to generate income.........Not to compete for prizes.
    You must climb this mountain. There is no elevator. ---- Don't stick your finger in the liquid nitrogen.
    Carolina China

Affiliate Manager
    Thanks everyone, great feedback and ideas, just the sort of stuff I was looking for

Any other comments welcome

Michelle

Affiliate Manager Resume Companion's Avatar
    exclusive discount codes worked quite well with our top affiliates when i was at cyberlink.com.

Affiliate Manager
    Thanks for the great response, I'm getting the picture then that affiliates want good commission rates without being bombarded with competitions and that contact and help/support from the merchant is v important as well as extras such as exclusive codes.
    Any other comments welcome, great discussion so far

Michelle

11. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread