Lights! Camera! A.....
    Ok, it ends at camera.

I've got a $600 budget to buy a camera this summer. Video not needed.

Sell me

(I was looking at some of the lower end Rebels)
    Kevin Webster
    twitter: levelanalytics

Kayak Fishing
    Web Analytics and Affiliate Marketing

Mmmm. Wanted to add: SLR I think. With the ability to add telephoto lens's etc. A real pro-sumer camera.
    Kevin Webster

Kayak Fishing

I've got a few thousand images through my Nikon D-50 (SLR). You can likely get a "kit" w/ two lenses within that budget. It will be for the replacement (whatever that is) because I doubt they make the same model I bought three years ago.

As an add-on, I did by a great zoom wide angle for my building and travel shots. That cost me a bit more than the camera did but, for me, was well worth it. I'm sure "you" don't need to back into a "corner" of a room and be able to get both adjoining walls in the frame.
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

Kevin

I use A Sony a300 which it looks like they are discontinuing. This is the next model up and it comes with both lenses. (not an affiliate link) http://www.jr.com/sony/pe/SON_DSLRA330Y/

Take a look at that one. One thing I would seriously recommend is getting a camera with an lcd that flips open. I am not sure if the rebels do that.
    Vinny O'Hare - OPM - Contact Info email: vinny at teamloxly.com ~ 702-582-6742 Twitter

The Sony A330 is on my radar, as is the Nikon D3000, which I think is similar to Bill's. Might be the D5000 though that the D50 upgraded to....

Thanks for the initial thoughts. Good point about the LCD. I take a lot shots while in a kayak, and kayaks can rotate on you, so it would be a nice feature to have.
    Kevin Webster

Kayak Fishing

http and a telephoto
    I upgraded from the A300 to the A500, not a lot of differences, but take a look. We also have upgraded from the "kit" lenses, which I think are the lenses that come with the new "kits". Well, my lens isn't a kit lens I upgraded to the 18-250 lens and I can't tell you how sweet it it. Some of the photos are online at flickr, lots with the a300 are online at flickr and gardengoodies.net

We use a separate Sony camera for video.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

If you do a lot of outdoor shooting (kayaking comes to mind) then be sure to get a quality screw-in polarizing filter for your lens(es). It really helps to bring out detail in the sky, as well as help to eliminate glare on the water (and, for me, glass on buildings). Not cheap, but a worthwhile accessory.

BTW, with today's technology I think it would be difficult to buy a "bad" camera. Those Sonys, that Debbie and Vinny, use are great cameras. They are possibly a bit more "ergonomic" than my Nikon. I got rid of a Canon when I got my D-50. Not sure "why" I changed - just did. I gave it to a colleague who was helping me learn datafeed stuff. He has clicked the shutter a couple thousand times and it is still going strong.

Summary: stick with a name brand and you should be happy. Go to a large camera store and actually hold, coddle, carress and explore a bit. Get what looks and feels good to you. The camera is just a "tool" - it is the person using the camera that makes it take average snapshots or a quality photographs. Debbie and Vinny will both produce exceptional photography - no matter what brand of camera they they have in their hands.
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

I'm a huge fan of our Canon Powershot SX10 IS. It's a 10 MP camera with 20x optical zoom and image stabilization. We've had the S2 IS (5MP/12X), S3 IS (6MP/12X) and S5 IS (8MP/12X) before this one. It looks like their latest model is the SX20 IS (12MP/20X), which retails for $399.

It takes great pictures. The optical zoom can really reach out for distant pictures, and with image stabilization they're still clear. It uses SD memory and AA batteries (we use rechargables). It also does 640x480/30 video clips, if you ever have the need for that. The LCD screen does flip out and turn and rotate just about any direction you need. There's a "Sports" mode for taking pictures of quick-moving objects, and numerous other preset modes/scenes (beach, fireworks, landscapes, foliage, sunset, etc.).
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

TY Bill

If you are thinking about the Sonys pay attention to what memory the camera uses. Mine uses compact flash and loxlys is sd and/or memory stick.
    Vinny O'Hare - OPM - Contact Info email: vinny at teamloxly.com ~ 702-582-6742 Twitter

Network Rep & ABW Ambassador Carolyn - ShareASale's Avatar
    Huge Canon fan here. I have the 20D, which I love, but the Rebels are fantastic too. I think they're very intuitive, and the quality of the picture is stunning. Flickr actually captures some great data on what people use to shoot their images, you should definitely check it out: http://www.flickr.com/cameras/
    best,
    Carolyn
    ShareASale Client Services
    Y!: SAS_CTang
    e: ctang(at)shareasale.com

http and a telephoto
    TY Bill. Kevin has the "eye" - we have some of his images up on Loxly Gallery. Looking forward to seeing what you can do with a DSLR. The big advantage with any DSLR over a point and shoot is the Raw Camera files. They used to be a big mystery to work with, but now it is a dream to have them. Easily doubles your zoom range without needing a better lens. Just be sure to have quality optics and you can do a LOT with the camera raw files.
    Deborah Carney

I would also go to a camera store and do research and actually hold the camera. I like the way mine is but I am not a fan of feel of Loxly's camera. Could be I am just not use to it too.

Hey, thanks Lox.

FWIW, I asked on Facebook, and the Canon fans ALL showed up.

So I have some good thematic answers to my question. And 16 camera suggestions
    Kevin Webster

Kayak Fishing

http and a telephoto
    I'll ditto the "gotta hold it in your hands" Don't buy one without holding it in your hands first. And since the brands regulate the prices you probably won't get a better deal online than you can get at Best Buy or other local stores.
    Deborah Carney

Affiliate Manager Matt McWilliams's Avatar
    I'm a big fan of the phone on the Droid

Oh you mean like real cameras that don't double as a phone and browser?

Come to think of it I have not had a real camera since...well...ever actually. Strange.
    Matt McWilliams
    Call Me At: (317) 825-8826 | Follow Me On Twitter: @MattMcWilliams2 | Connect With Me On LinkedIn

McWilliams, if I wasn't such a raw amateur I'd call YOU a raw amateur for posting that....

Kevin Webster

Kayak Fishing

Affiliate Manager Matt McWilliams's Avatar
    HAHA, yeah I am a total amateur with pictures. I rarely take them and hardly have any. For whatever reason I am just not a picture person as a rule, though lately I have been taking more of random things.
    Matt McWilliams
    Call Me At: (317) 825-8826 | Follow Me On Twitter: @MattMcWilliams2 | Connect With Me On LinkedIn

Canon Rebel T1i with kit lens is around $700. I'm thinking of getting the same camera, maybe in 2 months time.

19. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread