The Internet: Enabling Idiocy Since 19...
    My company owns a number of sites and domains. Some of which are active, some not, etc.

Yesterday I received a letter from the Attorney General's office of a state to remain nameless regarding one of those domains. The letter stated that they had received a complaint alleging that my company violated the state's telephone solicitation act. The letter requested a response within 7 days including both a copy of our written policies on Do Not Call compliance, and a record of our subscription access number used to download phone numbers from the Do Not Call Registry.

Considering we don't make outbound calls, this struck me as pretty odd. The complaint listed a dozen calls from a dozen numbers and named a company with a name similar to one of our domains.

Today I called the Attorney General's office of the nameless state and asked how they related the complaint to my company. The brilliant answer:

I called one of the numbers in the complaint and got an answering machine that said "[blah blah] corp" and then went on Google where I found your company.
    What he found on Google was a domain that was vaguely similar to [blah blah corp], only one part of the three part domain actually matched the name on the answering machine (a generic word, BTW), but that was apparently enough to demand a response from my company!

How on Earth is a Google search due dilligence?!?!

Not only that, the complaint didn't actually alledge anything related to my company. It was this guy's Google search and a stretch of logic that lead to the allegation.

Yesterday I had to write a rebuttal to a chargeback claiming non-receipt of a package that the customer then acknowledged receipt of to an independant UPS investigation, and today I get to respond to phone calls made by a company with a name vaguely similar to a domain we own. Ain't the Web grand?

I can't wait to see what tomorrow brings. Perhaps Lindsay Lohan will decide that a mention of my wife Lindsey on Facebook is a violation of her trademark...
    Eathan Mertz

Black Cat Mining - Gold Prospecting & Rockhounding Equipment

Affiliate Manager Matt McWilliams's Avatar
    What's amazing is hard utterly stupid/naive so many government employees and attorney-types are with the web. They pretend to know it all and are completely clueless.

I have seen it so many times with government agencies and big companies with million dollar lawyers filing random suits over nothing.
    Matt McWilliams
    Call Me At: (317) 825-8826 | Follow Me On Twitter: @MattMcWilliams2 | Connect With Me On LinkedIn

I'm replying directly to the Attorney General. Part of that reply:

I am now in the unfortunate position of taking time out of my busy day to respond, not to an allegation made by a resident of [state], but to an assumption made by a member of the Consumer Protection Division, based on a single word in common between a name on an answering machine and a domain name found through a Google search.
    Eathan Mertz

Super Dawg Member Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    Ya know, if this AG is up for re-election, you could send this all to this opponents.
    Since June 10, 2012 a vegan aarf but still writing the Hound Dawg Sports Blog
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;
    "Raj, there’s no place for truth on the internet." -Howard Wolowitz[/SIZE]

Affiliate Manager Matt McWilliams's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AffiliateHound View Post
    Ya know, if this AG is up for re-election, you could send this all to this opponents.
    WOW I like the way you think! The former political mastermind in me enjoyed that suggestion
    Matt McWilliams
    Call Me At: (317) 825-8826 | Follow Me On Twitter: @MattMcWilliams2 | Connect With Me On LinkedIn

Depends how he replies of course.
    Eathan Mertz

I once had something similar... not the DNC list... but a total mistake in targeting one of my companies for something. I sent a certified letter in rebuttal that simply said:

"Wasn't me."

Amazingly, fortunately, hilariously.... that was the end of it.

I got a C and D before from MSFT for a website that wasn't even mine. They said that someone with an email address with my companies domain was used in registering it so they sent it to me. LOL I was providing a free email service at the time.

"...Since 19..."
    That would be 1988, if we go back to the year when the network which we now call Internet was opened to commercial interests.
    But if we go back to the time when ARPANET was first connected, it would be 1969.
    That's decades, regardless of which of the two events above we go back to. And still there are many who are not really internet-savvy, even downright clueless.
    There are those who think of it as a source of free information, and while this is true in some cases, it gets blown out of proportion, to the extent that people expect to get everything form the internet for free.
    There are also those who think of the internet only in terms of socialization or gaming; they are on facebook and friendster and such or on gaming sites, but do not realize the huge potential benefits they can derive from being online, and thus do not take the internet seriously.
    It's sad, really. The Internet is a tool that we should be maximizing in order to achieve our goals.
    Michelle
    Affilorama Group Ltd
    Affiliate Marketing by Affilorama | Free SEO Software by Traffic Travis

10. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread