Microsoft Closes Bing Cashback
    FYI, Microsoft is closing down Bing Cashback as of July 30th, 2010 due to poor adoption.

http://www.bing.com/community/blogs/...-cashback.aspx
    Merchants, any data you provide to Google Shopping should also be in your affiliate network datafeed. More data means more sales!

ABW Ambassador
    Yeah, that had a lot of complaints.

It just goes to show, just because they're big company/search engine, they don't always succeed with some of their shopping aspirations.

So we have Bing Cashback Shutting down.

You had Google failing with Froogle, the shopping comparison engine that was supposed to wipe out affiliates.

With the cash back, there were already established players just doing it better. Same with the shopping comparison engine..

http and a telephoto
    Just saw this on Twitter. Search engines shouldn't be "affiliates" and I guess they learned that it isn't so easy.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Quote Originally Posted by Trust View Post
    You had Google failing with Froogle, the shopping comparison engine that was supposed to wipe out affiliates.
    With the cash back, there were already established players just doing it better. Same with the shopping comparison engine..
    This is an area near and dear to me and I follow it very closely.

Google Product Search as a standalone site is a failure, but the integration of it's engine with Google search results is an entirely different matter. Google has two huge competitive advantages right now... One is their search dominance, but the other is the fact that they can afford to let everyone list their products for free in Google Product Search.

Merchants with very thin profit margins can all list their products on Google for free. This gives Google product search more depth and breadth than most other comparison engines, where x% margin is required to make a product viable for paid promotion.

So many times Google Product Search, whose results are now displayed in the regular search results, will have the best price. Over time, this will have a negative affect on the established players. (AKA nextag, shopzilla, shopping.com, theFind, shopwiki, etc)

I wouldn't count Froogle out, because of this. The smart move that Google made was to allow all merchants to list their entire inventory for free.

As I've said before, that doesn't mean there isn't a lot of room for affiliate profit. It just means the low hanging fruit are getting picked by Google and expect Google to move up the branches over the next few years.
    Merchants, any data you provide to Google Shopping should also be in your affiliate network datafeed. More data means more sales!

To be honest.. I wasn't really sure how Bing was making any money. I got 15% BCB on an ebay purchase of a brand new laptop. So on top of the great ebay price, I saved another 15%. Much better than I could make on my own .

It has been confirmed that Bing Shopping will be free, starting on July 30th. So merchants can input their entire product catalog instead of just the SKU's that have decent profit margins with cash back. Here's the blog where I read this: http://comparisonengines.com/2010/06...-will-be-free/

My take is that Microsoft has learned that it is more important to have equal depth/breadth with Google product search instead of cash back. They want to have the best/most complete shopping engine, not the shopping engine that makes the most money.

Quote Originally Posted by isellstuff View Post
    They want to have the best/most complete shopping engine, not the shopping engine that makes the most money.
    Should qualify this by saying that Bing and Google want to own the e-commerce space because of the valuable PPC keywords. Having the best shopping engine fits in with that long term goal and should result in more money for them in the long run. (at least that is what they hope)

Affiliate Manager ParadigmWilliam's Avatar
    The problem was everyone was using Bing for the cashback and not as a search engine. Without Bing Cashback most users will go elsewhere (I got a lot of feedback from one of my coupon sites).

They were probably losing to much money.
    [URL="http://www.manageaffiliatelinks.com/"][COLOR="Red"][B]Manage Affiliate Links[/B][/COLOR][/URL] - Redirect Dead, Expired, or Broken Links

[URL="http://www.wpcoupon.com/"][COLOR="Blue"][B]WP Coupon[/B][/COLOR][/URL] - Turn Wordpress into a Coupon Site!

9. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread