Super Dawg Member Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    John Robert Wooden - The Wizard of Westwood
    John Robert Wooden passed away this evening at age 99.

He was the greatest coach in American sports history, a teacher and philosopher whose deeply held faith and belief in always putting others before him guided his life. He was a genuinely nice man, whose former players loved and adored him, and continued relationships with him to his dying day.

My four years at UCLA were the first four years of his unbelievable run of seven consecutive NCAA basketball championships (which eventually would become part of 10 titles in 12 years). I attended almost every home game over those four years. I didn't get to many games over the next ten years or so, but I've had UCLA basketball season tickets for the past 25+ years, and almost never missed a game until my wife's health problems worsened in 2003. Coach Wooded almost never missed a game either. He sat in the same seat a few rows behind the UCLA bench for almost every game from his retirement until his health declined a few short years ago. You did not have to look hard to find him - there was always an orderly, respectful line of people, young and old, waiting to say hello and ask for an autograph. He never declined and he never asked to be paid for signing his name.

He was devoted to his family, especially his wife, Nell, to whom he was married 53 years until her death in 1985. In the early 2000s, UCLA officials wanted to name the Pauley Pavilion basketball court after him. He would not hear of it, until they agreed to name it the "Nell & John Wooden Court".

He wrote several books on his philosophies of living life and in gaining success in your chosen path. He was famous for his Pyramid of Success, and for the many, many maxims that he could recite when appropriate, even into his late 90s. Here are a few of them:

Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.

Be quick, but don’t hurry.

Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are.

Consider the rights of others before your own feelings, and the feelings of others before your own rights.

If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?

It's what you learn after you know it all that counts.

Never mistake activity for achievement.

Success comes from knowing that you did your best to become the best that you are capable of becoming.

Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful.

You can't live a perfect day without doing something for someone who will never be able to repay you.

RIP, Coach.
    Since June 10, 2012 a vegan aarf but still writing the Hound Dawg Sports Blog
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;
    "Raj, there’s no place for truth on the internet." -Howard Wolowitz[/SIZE]

Wow, what a wonderful legacy this man left, with so many peoples' lives -- like yours -- influenced in ways that he never could have fully known. It's a great reminder to us all to live a life of humility and selfless giving, not expecting anything in return but the satisfaction that we have lived well.

Thanks for posting your tribute to Coach Wooden and allowing us to get an inspiring glimpse of a great man.

Quote Originally Posted by dsharpie View Post
    Wow, what a wonderful legacy this man left, with so many peoples' lives -- like yours -- influenced in ways that he never could have fully known. It's a great reminder to us all to live a life of humility and selfless giving, not expecting anything in return but the satisfaction that we have lived well.

Thanks for posting your tribute to Coach Wooden and allowing us to get an inspiring glimpse of a great man.
    Thanks, dsharpie. This was something that I had dreaded but anticipated for quite a while. It would take volumes to adequately describe his life and legacy.
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;

Goodness, gracious. Sakes alive.
    Kevin Webster
    twitter: levelanalytics

Kayak Fishing
    Web Analytics and Affiliate Marketing

A few short hours prior to Coach Wooden's death, Richard "Duke" Llewellyn passed away at the age of 93.

Llewellyn, a long time executive with the Los Angeles Athletic Club, in 1976 conceived of the John R. Wooden Award that is given each year to the country's outstanding men's college basketball player (since 2004, to the outstanding men's and women's college basketball players).

In agreeing to have his name on the award, Coach Wooden insisted that the award be not merely for the highest scorer, but for the best team player, and that the winner be a "model citizen". In addition, and unlike with other similar awards, such as college basketball's Naismith Award and college football's Heisman, Wooden Award eligibility also includes a minimum grade point average requirement.

I'm not ashamed to say I got a bit misty last night. RIP Coach Wooden. The Bruin family, and the world, lost a great one.

Thanks for posting this, Hound. I knew you would.
    -Don't criticize anyone til you've walked a mile in their shoes. Then when you do criticize them, you'll be a mile away and have their shoes.
    - Silence is golden. Duct Tape is silver.

I think the only reason my parents didn't strangle me as a child was coach Wooden. I took forever to get ready in the morning because I could never get my socks on comfortably. I kept taking my shoes off and trying over and over. As UCLA alumni and basketball fans, they knew to just tell me to turn my socks inside out and make sure there were no creases before I put my shoes on.
    Brad Waller | VP, Business and Affiliate Development
    EPage.com

8. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread