AvantLink Network is Down
    All the merchant's links and AvantLink's home page go to a 404 page.

Vietnam Veteran 1966-1970 USASA
    ABW Forum Rules - Advertise At ABW

Influencer Marketing GravityFed's Avatar
    Just saw this email notification. It's 6:50am here in mountain time, and everything is working for me.

Are you still unable to access?

superCool just gave it a shot and it worked - home page, banners and links

OK thanks. Not sure what happened to you Burgerboy, but I'm emailing this thread URL to David so he's aware...

I just got a Sunday morning response already from our CTO, David Clark:

"I don't think anything happened. We never had network warnings of any problems, and consistent hourly stats throughout the day so far."

I don't know what happened but it's back for me now.

Vietnam Veteran 1966-1970 USASA
    ABW Forum Rules - Advertise At ABW

Still down here on the east coast. Not sure what the deal is. Google cached version of Avantlink will not render either.

As of 7 pm EDT 5/6/10 everything is back to normal. Probably was down around 6 - 8 hours here. Lots of bad weather between here and Utah, probably not an Avantlink issue.

Affiliate Network Rep
    Just wanted to post a status update on this issue, as it's obvious some users were affected with problems on Sunday, and it's now more clear to me why.

First, a few details:
    -The only reports of issues were from south-eastern US states, particularly Florida. BurgerBoy your location is listed here in ABW as Kentucky, so if that's accurate I would say that was the extreme north-westerly range of the issue.
    -Those states are directed, via our DNS services, to our eastern US data center which is in Pennsylvania. So MarkPTO your comment about bad weather between your location and Utah didn't quite apply, though such problems between your location and Pennsylvania could have.
    -At no point on Sunday did any of our network monitoring services (in California, Utah, Pennsylvania, and Virginia) pick up any problems with either of our data centers. So it's safe to say that any internet traffic reaching our servers was being handled properly throughout the entire day.

That leaves one possible cause for a problem:
    -That traffic from some regions in south-eastern US states was sporadically unable to reach our servers, due to ISP or DNS resolution issues.

I have received confirmation from our DNS provider that an issue did occur on Sunday due to changes that they made to our account configuration without our prior consent. As soon as I was aware of the changes I requested that they be reverted, and that process was completed on Sunday around 4:45PM MST, not far off from MarkPTO's comment that at 7:00PM EDT everything was back to normal for him.

We are still awaiting details as to exactly when our DNS provider initially made these changes, and why their changes caused problems in such a restricted region.

I would like to emphasize that at no point were the AvantLink servers down on Sunday, nor was our tracking of affiliate sales impeded by the DNS issue as the hostname used for our sales tracking utilizes different DNS rules than the affected record. Indeed our overall network statistics for Sunday for sales (as well, for that matter, as ad impressions and click-throughs) were so inline with the norm that they suggest no problem whatsoever.

I do hope this clarifies things and apologize for any confusion.

David,

I would say that sums things up well. I assumed there was possibly an outtage along the route somewhere, but it may have been a little more serious than that. Your post also does a nice job of clarifying that the network was never 'down' just geographically unreachable. Everything is still working fine in the southeast today. thanks...

11. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread