Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Here is an email I just received from Frederick's of Hollywood. This is in addition to that they stopped tracking orders for the last 1/2 year as was reported previously in this forum.

"Dear affiliate,

This communication is to inform all affiliates of two very important rules within the Commission Junction program. The first being that affiliates can not purchase Fredericks of Hollywood (or variations) in Overture, Google and other pay-per-click search engines and the other being that coupons are not accepted without permission. The details of the rules can be found below.

1). In order to protect the Frederick?s of Hollywood brand name, trademark and identity, Frederick's strictly forbids any affiliate activity that infringes on the Frederick's of Hollywood trademark. This includes trademark variations in URLs or search term optimization. An affiliate may not pass itself off as an official Frederick's site and must identify itself as an affiliate. Frederick's forbids the use of any image or text that is not supplied by Frederick's via CJ for affiliate purposes.

2). An affiliate may not use any coupon codes outside the Commission Junction program. Frederick's forbids the use of any unauthorized coupon code to be posted on any affiliates website. Please be aware that NO COMMISIONS will be paid for posting unauthorized coupon codes.

We reserve the right to cancel any affiliate relationship and refuse compensation to any affiliate whose sales are achieved via prohibited means.

We value your relationship and wish only to protect our trademark. If there is any way we can assist you in your marketing efforts, please reply to this email or call me personally at (858) 272-8189.

Rich Baca"

That doesn't seem too bad to me. They don't seem to have a problem with saying you are "proud to be affiliated with Frederick's of Hollyood."

quote:
    stopped tracking orders for the last 1/2 year as was reported previously in this forum.

What's that about? Are they tracking now?

The Wolf Credo: Respect the elders. Teach the young. Cooperate with the pack. Play when you can. Hunt when you must. Rest in between. Share your affections. Voice your feelings. Leave your mark.

ABW Ambassador
    Well I phoned them.

Basically they don't you to use "Fredricks of Hollywood's name in the Payperclick anything.

Google's search engine is fine to compete in, but not the adclicks program with Google.

They've always converted for me, maybe not great, but fine enough to continue to promote them.

Also talked to them about WHEN U, and they said at this point they are not envolved with them.

I was going to try to get him to come here and chat, but he had to run a meeting.

------------------------------------------------------------Minds are like parachutes - they only function when open. Thomas Dewar

ABW Ambassador
    >>This is in addition to that they stopped tracking orders for the last 1/2 year as was reported previously in this forum.<<

Hogwash. They may not convert well (1:225 for me), but they haven't stopped tracking orders.

"The only thing that helps me maintain my slender grip on reality is the friendship I share with my collection of singing potatoes." -- Holly, from Red Dwarf

Their sales conversion has a taken a nose dive since last year. Ask anyone that promoted them last year and this year.

15 years and counting
    I was just looking at my stats for Frederick's of Hollywood and a sale show up. For the last 3 months 3000 clicks 30 sales even. So the tracking must be working.
    Regarding the TM issue, some lawyers must be calling all the merchants and trying to get money for TM protection, it's spreading fast.
    I think an affiliate should not use TM merchant names in PPC. It's just giving a bad reputation to all other affiliates.

It's not the big that eat the small... it's the fast that eat the slow. Jennings & Haughton

ABW Ambassador
    >>Their sales conversion has a taken a nose dive since last year.<<

Which is a far cry from "they stopped tracking orders for the last 1/2 year as was reported previously in this forum."

It would certainly help separate the wheat from the chaff, if, when reporting that a merchant has stopped tracking sales, those doing the reporting would provide the slightest hint of evidence.

"The only thing that helps me maintain my slender grip on reality is the friendship I share with my collection of singing potatoes." -- Holly, from Red Dwarf

Ok, that's what I meant by saying stopped tracking that their sales conversion became very bad.

Perhaps the reason you are seeing lower conversions is there are more affiliates promoting them? Just a thought...

Heidi
    Fit2a-t: The Center of the T-shirt Universe!

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    The conversion ratio has definitely taken a nose dive this year. Has Fredricks begun parasite or DuperAffiliate campaigns starting this year?? That would explain the poor conversions. The normal cut an paste cease advertising my Trademark or out bidding me on the PPC SE's means some shady affiliate management firm is running their program into the ground. Lawyers have nothin to do with this greedy plea. Someone is charging them $5000.00 month to manage their program and they are buying this as a ROI move like the Famous Footware stupid affiliate manager. This same influence is alos selling them on joining programs like Gator -Whenu -iWin and UCE spam programs for a nice cut of the fees.

WebMaster Mike

ABW Ambassador
    >>means some shady affiliate management firm is running their program into the ground.<<

Shady? You wouldn't happen to have a hint of *evidence* that that is true, wouldja?

I have no problem with them protecting their trademark, and stopping people from eating their lunch using PPC's, but I'd like to see a few coupons for affiliates to use.

I just took a look to see what coupons they are offering in CJ. Can you say: NONE The only think remotely close is the SPRING sale! Am I missing something in CJ??

I like to promote their publicly available sales or specials they run on their site, I wonder if that is allowed?

Don't let yesterday take up to much of today.

ABW Ambassador
    They rejected me at CJ but I was with them at Perfomrics. Over 600 clickthroughs on individual items (similar merchants converting 1:35 average over last 6 months). Hollywoods? ZERO SALES.

Certainly did not convert for me. Perhaps because they have 2 programs and cannot track at both. Their EPC etc at CJ looked good which is why I tried to join them there. Now I have just removed them. Sales up with other similar companies now to 1:20 [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Andy Williams

Keyword DARTs - New density analysis software

http://www.affiliate-masters.co.uk/k...timization.htm

"An affiliate may not use any coupon codes outside the Commission Junction program. Frederick's forbids the use of any unauthorized coupon code to be posted on any affiliates website. Please be aware that NO COMMISIONS will be paid for posting unauthorized coupon codes. "

What is wrong with them???

ABW Ambassador
    Wow you guys are fast I was about to come post this e-mail [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img] Anyway I can totally 100% agree with protecting their TM and not allowing affiliates to compete against them in PPC.

Here is what bothers me (bold):

1). In order to protect the Frederick?s of Hollywood brand name, trademark and
    identity, Frederick's strictly forbids any affiliate activity that infringes on
    the Frederick's of Hollywood trademark. This includes trademark variations in
    URLs or search term optimization
    . An affiliate may not pass itself off as an
    official Frederick's site and must identify itself as an affiliate. Frederick's
    forbids the use of any image or text that is not supplied by Frederick's via CJ
    for affiliate purposes.
    -------------
    So I can't have fredericks anywhere in the URL? OR optimize my page for ANY form of their trademark + variations? (I just realized that they probably intended this to mean domains like frederickofhollywood.com - But they say URL, not domain. What about if I have site.com/fredericks.html ? )

2). An affiliate may not use any coupon codes outside the Commission Junction
    program. Frederick's forbids the use of any unauthorized coupon code to be
    posted on any affiliates website. Please be aware that NO COMMISIONS will be
    paid for posting unauthorized coupon codes.

Bah. Humbug. Sigh.

Ahh, wait a minute, I just realized something:
    In order to protect the Frederick?s of Hollywood brand name
    I think I am OK, as I am promoting Frederick's, not Frederick?s

(sorry)

JM

ABW Ambassador
    I actually think the coupon thing is a good idea.

It sucks to work hard and get rewarded with an exclusive coupon for a merchant and then get trolled by all the coupon sites who snag your coupon to promote their site.

Cedric,

I'm OK with what you are saying. If you work hard and by that work get an exclusive coupon - you alone should enjoy the benefit of it.

My question is - can I promote coupons or specials which are publicly available on their site? They run them on their home page from time to time.

Don't let yesterday take up to much of today.

As a famous Mexican marketing communications expert once said: "I don't need no stinkin coupon"

WebMaster Mike

ABW Ambassador
    >>My question is - can I promote coupons or specials which are publicly available on their site?<<

I could guess (and I'd guess "no"), but the best bet is to ask them.

Fredericks is also lowering their Comish at Performics to 8%. Must be a new bad boy or girl in charge there.

Affiliate Programs That Kick Major Butt

ABW Ambassador
    Anyone sent this thread to them?

I don't understand the resistance to affiliates advertising promotions which the merchant spends a ton of money to promote themselves. I guess I do understand if they issue a specific coupon or special offer to a specific advertising channel and want to be able to track it, this can cause problems... However, I just find the text and tone of this email offensive and counterproductive.

ABW Ambassador
    >>I don't understand the resistance to affiliates advertising promotions<<

I don't know Frederick's specific objections, but I can tell you a few reasons *other* companies use.

1. Some promotions are loss-leaders and have a set budget. Over-promotion can kill the budget.

2. Promotions on the merchant's web site can be there in a "test-phase" -- are we going to make money or lose money on this promotion? If they see it's a loser, they can pull it in a hurry. Not so easy when it's being promoted by all their affiliates.

3. Some promotions are designed to test if the promotion helps convert people already interested in purchasing -- not to draw people to the site.

Just a few reasons, but I'd say (guessing) the primary one is: promotions cost money and have set budgets. If, say a "free gift with purchase" promotion is budgeted for existing traffic, but affiliates pick up the promotion and it causes a huge rush, the merchant may run out of the free gift -- PR nightmare.

While a seemingly reasoned response is "well, if they sell more, they can buy more of the free gift," that "reasonable" response doesn't recognise: 1) it may be impossible to get more in a timely manner; and 2) the marketing department doesn't generally operate out of this month's profits.

Marketing operates on a fixed budget. And if my promotion goes over-budget, the number of sales don't matter -- I still have to cut MY budget on the next promotion...

Cedric,

I've got one more reason for your list... most merchants, including ourselves, measure the effectiveness of their promotions based on coupon redemptions. Yeah, I know that we could manually go into Commission Junction and figure out which coupon redemptions stemmed from coupon codes that have been shared outside our own promotional efforts, but it's actually pretty difficult to do. So in a way, I can kind of understand what they're saying when they say that they don't want anyone snagging their self-promoted coupon codes.

At the risk of self-promoting, I'd advise them to do what we do which is to encourage partner sites to just ask us for their own codes. We're always willing to match any ongoing internal codes or promos for partner sites, and giving out codes like "partnersiteXYZ" lets us know exactly where each order originated. It really comes down to a tracking issue (at least for us).

Devil's advocate? Useful insight? Gobbledygook? Interpret as you wish. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

I seperate my affiliate enabled merchants into 2 categories ..those who run their programs as advertising campaigns and those who run it as a sustainable sales channel.

Over the years the conversions & commissions all seem to come from the latter group. If a programs AM has the mindset of the advertising department then they'll use coupons -incent sites -Duperaffiliate or parasite campaigns to drive their hit counter ..not necessarily their cash register.

Case in point from some of my e-commerce enable clients. If they have some limited time FREE offer on their sites they often get a huge spike in their traffic for a few days. The Free offer might be a color brochure and sample of their no-slip-clip for their www.suspenders.com site. The SE's pick this up and some Freebee forum posts the offer or Freebee sites pick this up and the honest merchant is forced to mail out thousands of costly brochures and sample clips. Over the years they average 1 onsite or phone sale per every 4 brochures sent out this way. Now after this spike they average 1 sale per 228 brochures sent. Obviously most ended up in the waste basket with other catalogs and their targeted e-mail list gets hosed with junk names.

Merchants running a pay-per-performance program need to get a sales oriented ..not advertising oriented AM..running their program. All professional affiliate management services are run by advertising wanks ..with no sales experience or incentives.

WebMaster Mike

quote:
    Originally posted by DaPackster:
    Fredericks is also lowering their Comish at Performics to 8%. Must be a new bad boy or girl in charge there.

Saw the email from Performics. Anyone knows if they are doing the same thing on CJ?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast