The Oil Spill In The Gulf
    I really would like affiliates and merchants/AMs to speak on this issue of the disaster unfolding in the Gulf of Mexico, but please do your best to keep it to affiliate marketing.

First, I was born and raised in the area of Alabama currently getting it's first wave of oil washing ashore. I have family still in the area. Several family members make/made their living off of shrimping.

Because of the fact I do know the area of South Alabama and the Florida Panhandle rather well, I had a couple of sites that promoted travel to that area.

On the day the Deep Horizon Oil Rig sank, I pulled all travel links associated with that area. See, I am sort of one of those "doom and gloom" kind of guys and felt this was gonna be bad.

QUESTION #1 - TO AFFILIATES WHO PROMOTE TRAVEL TO THE GULF COAST:

Have you seen a drop in sales and, if so, how big of a drop?

QUESTION #2 - TO MERCHANTS/AMs WHO HAVE TRAVEL ORIENTED BUSINESSES:

Have you seen a drop in sales to this area and, if so, how big of a drop?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Second, I have a food site, of which I promote a variety of food gifts. This would include seafood. The site didn't do very well to begin with. Therefore, I can't say I have seen a drop in sales, because I wasn't getting many to begin with.

QUESTION #3 - TO AFFILIATES WHO OPERATE SITES THAT PROMOTE SEAFOOD:

QUESTION #4 - TO MERCHANTS/AMs WHO HAVE FOOD (SEAFOOD) BUSINESSES:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Personally, I don't see how this Oil Spill can not affect many in affiliate marketing. If not now, later on.

The travel and tourism affiliates and merchants will probably be the first to feel the affect, but, eventually, food oriented sites, both affiliate and merchants, will also be affected.

I am sure there are many more areas of affiliate marketing that will be affected as time passes. Travel, tourism and food are just two of the areas I think will feel the economical affects in affiliate marketing first.

QUESTION #5 & #6 - TO ANYONE:

How do you see this unfolding disaster affecting affiliate marketing in travel, tourism, seafood and other areas as time passes?

Has the unfolding disaster caused you to change your promoting of a merchant, niche, etc... or do you feel it will cause you to rethink your promotional campaigns in the future?

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    Wow, I can think of a million things I'd like to say about the BP oil spill but nothing relating to affiliate marketing. Probably because the niches bound to be affected by it aren't mine.

I'm interested to see what affiliate marketers in these niches have to say, too and I think it's a good idea to look at the long term affects it might have and be prepared. Good post, Snowfinch!
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

As someone who has closely followed spill, I think that part of the effect that won't be that noticeable or measurable, is that those who are directly effected won't be buyers. I'm thinking primarily of the fishermen and those who cater to them. There will be a ripple effect from the loss of fishing income that will be easily measureable in the local economy, but the impact on their not purchasing online will be much harder to measure.
    :rankn-scp John - This is our chosen profession. This is our way. This is what we do.

Boat sales, and pleasure boating related items are DOWN along Florida's west coast.

We have not yet begun to see or feel the real impact this will have on all of us. I can only imagine the devastation among the millions of people who "directly" earn a living along the Gulf Coast.

Personally I do not focus hotels and travel on the South. My main niche markets are in the Northeast - so I have not seen any changes yet. If anything I may see a slight boost in traffic for Myrtle Beach, Virginia Beach, Ocean City and the Jersey Shore - if vacationers choose more local places instead of heading south. That is, unless (or until?) that oil works its way around Florida and up the East Coast.
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

I have always had a problem with Florida not allowing drilling off their coast yet being willing to use products that come from areas where citizens are willing to take the risk.

I can remember going to Louisiana Western beaches 35 years ago and finding tar balls. Everybody assumed that came with the territory back then. It's a lot better now, and the industry is dearly needed here.

What the heck did I do this time? This is a very important topic that deals with affiliate marketing. Why is my post being punished because someone did not keep the topic to affiliate marketing? Couldn't their post just be removed? IF THAT IS THE PROBLEM. This is uncalled for. There is nothing political about affiliates and merchants changing their promotional campaigns because of this disaster. Why is my post moved? What is wrong with talking about a topic that is playing and going to play a major role in many affiliates and merchants future?

ABW Ambassador
    It's back in the Midnight Forum.

"I have always had a problem with Florida not allowing drilling off their coast yet being willing to use products that come from areas where citizens are willing to take the risk."

I don't blame them, when your tourism is basically beaches and theme parks and with all the coastline they have, I wouldn't want drilling either and this is a good reason why.

I was watching the local news and they were looking for tar balls and such, on the east coast and nothing to this point. Like Bill said, the tourists will just find some other beach to go to. Don't see online sales being affected much at all unless you have some sort of travel/tourism traffic with the affected area.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowfinch View Post
    QUESTION #5 & #6 - TO ANYONE:

How do you see this unfolding disaster affecting affiliate marketing in travel, tourism, seafood and other areas as time passes?

Has the unfolding disaster caused you to change your promoting of a merchant, niche, etc... or do you feel it will cause you to rethink your promotional campaigns in the future?
    You can't separate politics from this "unfolding disaster". It started with the lack of a national energy policy that left us unprepared for the spill. Affiliate marketing is effected by the national economy and the energy policy. Think $4 a gallon gas again.

If they shut down Gulf drilling it will be a lot larger economic impact than the shrimpers, oyster men, and hotel keepers. Try getting to your hotel with gas sky high or unavailable. The NIMBY mentality has slowed every type of energy production in this country from nuclear to wind. Everyone wants to live in a national park like setting while running down the road in their SUV heading toward their all electric home to by online via affiliate links.

JOHN POWELL ~ I am not going to argue politics with you. I do not know why my thread was moved, but please keep it to the oil spill and how affiliate marketing has been, will be and may be effected by it from the standpoint of the affiliate and the merchant. Thank you.

TRUST ~ Thank you for moving this important thread back for all to see.

LINDY RIG ~ Never thought about that and I use to be affiliated with a boating supplies merchant. Knowing the area well, I am sure the boating and boating supplies industry will take a big hit. Very good point.

EVERYONE ~ PLEASE KEEP THIS THREAD TO AFFILIATE MARKETING! THANK YOU!

I haven't seen an impact on my recreational fishing site, though my readers:

a.) Don't fish saltwater often
    b.) Don't really buy anything

I'm sure that kayak fishing clubs around the Gulf area have had to do some re-thinking on what their websites will focus on/be about. If they were booking trips either themselves as guides, or providing affiliate links to hotels or tackle stores, I'm sure they will see a definite impact.

Right or wrong, people are starting to avoid the Gulf states.
    Kevin Webster
    twitter: levelanalytics

Kayak Fishing
    Web Analytics and Affiliate Marketing

12. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread