Hi Everyone!

I noticed that when I check allinurl:xxxxxx.com I've been losing thousands of pages over the last two weeks or so. I should have up to 80-100 thousand pages on the site; but, the highest index count I've seen is 7,500 pages but today, I'm down to around 4,500 pages.

Is this just normal Google stuff or a real concern. I'm concerned 'cuz my visitor count has dropped 50% (daily average) over the same time period.

I sort of was hoping for increases as time goes on - not - decreases....

Thoughts?

Thanks all,

John

ABW Ambassador
    Maybe Google is getting feed up?

Trust: You think data feed pages are a problem?
    I've noticed that the only sales I've ever made so far are from showcase pages.... I've been using SAS Page maker alot lately - no new data feed (I think I've used most all of 'em anyway...)

John

ABW Ambassador
    There's a thread here on what i think of them and the future of them:

http://abw.infopop.cc/eve/ubb.x?q=Y&...=912107123&p=1

Most people disagree with me tho and lots of affiliates are making good money with them, so there are a few different opinions on it.

I tried your site, if you're talking about the j..guam.com site and went to http://www.marketleap.com and used the Search Engine Saturation check and they use
    site:www.yorusite.com inurl:www.yoursite.com
    and i see in the main Google 2390 pages and www2 1380 pages. So i don't know what Google is doing. Also some of your pages that are in, i'm getting:

Error message...

MISSING FILE (S) AND/OR DIRECTORY
    Error message...

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>the only sales I've ever made so far are from showcase pages <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Do you mean from PSC pages?

If so, that's weird--I've never been able to get any PSC pages to rank at all...

Edit--Trust must have posted just before I did. If your site's generating a lot of errors, there's a high chance that's what's messing with your Google coverage. Errors, and too many dead links (whether they're nav links or outgoing links) can really hurt rankings, at least from what I've seen.
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

ABW Ambassador
    I checked Yahoo, you have about 430 pages there. Didn't see any links into your site, that could help. I know it's a relatively new site so i don't know if you have any and they're just not showing yet or not.

Affiliate Manager AffiliateBuddha's Avatar
    Leader,

Try mixing PSC with your "revenue pages" with sales pitches optimized for keywords, see the conversion ratios skyrocket.
    Gift Shopping Zone Affiliate Program on SAS - 10% per sale with unlimited cookie duration, over 10,000 products.

Trust: I just checked the link you provided - very neat tool! But, shows even less index than "allinurl" did.
    The 404 errors you are getting, I'm sure come from the major rewrite I had to do because of the problem I was having with KB not tracking my case-sensitive links. I simply redid all the datafeeds from scratch.

I'm supposed to have links - I'll have to check to make sure my "linking partners" haven't pulled the plug on me.

Leader: Yes, I was refering to PSC - none of the Data Feeds. Just sold MotoLeather $300+ something or other from their PSC.

guam,

Then I suspect maybe your major rewrite is the problem. How many of those original 80k pages still exist with the same file name? If I change the files around, I always keep the older ones and do a header redirect so Google doesn't get confused about the current state of things. If you just remove the original files, Google will come back to each one realizing they're missing and remove them from the index. It'll take a few weeks for Google to start from scratch and re-index your site.

- Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

you should also setup a custom 404 page
    dave

Good idea kapsat! I think if guam does this, he'll see more clicks and conversions.

- Scott

Snib: Yes, I did have to create a whole new set of files - none of the old url links were being tracked by KB. It respresents thousands of pages - I expected a big drop in index pages because of this; but, I've lost way more pages than I changed. 7500 a couple weeks ago down to just over 1600 this AM. So, you think Google is redoing my entire index from scratch? Wow, that will take forever!

Kapsat/Snib: I did create a custom 404, explaining missing files to whomever wanted to read it. I also added links to the correct, most current pages. That 404 page is still there. But, I have only seen a drastic drop in visitors in my web stats - 50% & more.

One of my sites is getting hit hard by Google like you say. It was up to about 19k pages indexed and it's slowly been dropping the past week. I'm around 13.5k and I've got a lot of description-less listings. The site has a good number of strong PR links, so I don't know what's wrong. It's entirely datafeed driven, maybe it's the duplicate content filters...

Yeah... I have alot of description-less listings as well. I suppose I'll just work the PSC for now and hope google does something nice in the mean time.

I just wanted to know if this was normal Google BS - guess it is.

John

UPDATE: The site is now down to less than 500 indexed pages.... when is it going to end?!? This really is B.S. - what in the world is the advantage of using datafeeds if noone will find them in a search? And all the server space being eaten-up for no purpose.... what a waste of time & money.

I'm not sure it's the feeds themselves, my mall site also suffers from descriptionless urls and dropping pages. And the only pages in the index were the original 90 or so I cranked out manually with my own merchant descriptions rather than copying straight from the link generators.

Then again I also completely changed my linking structure and headers. I'm not sure what's going to happen but I'm hoping it's just google tossing out all the old and preparing for a full deep index :P

MSN has been a hog recently.. I hope I do well with that.

17. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread