Datafeed Affiliate Shops and Recent Google SERPS
    I am very worried about the recent Google algo updates (MayDay, and June) and their effects on datafeed driven shops. These updates were particularly targetted at long tail keywords that were particularly relevant to individual product pages.

It seems that many of us had been affected by that update although I do not know whether they involve datafeeds.

http://www.abestweb.com/forums/showt...04#post1025104

I think I have been affected quite badly although I am not absolutely certain. It appears that many pages of my most important sites had been de-indexed. This I would expect anyway based on experience.

I wonder whether anybody else thinks they have been affected?

Also, I wonder whether there is anyway to counter this? In the past, I am put in a RSS feed on my product pages without seeing any visible benefit. I stopped using it because I was worried that it actually affect the SERPs ranking.

As for the indexing problem, I now feed in pages more slowly and it seems to work better. However, it seems Google will still find out and de-index many of them eventually.

I would be grateful if we could come up with some suggestions on how to deal with it.

Thanks

My datafeed sites that had been limping along and providing a nice cumulative total are dead. I had refused to let them die even though the hand writing was on the wall because they where just so easy to maintain. None gave much by themselves but together they where a little something. Most of them I don't bother to even look at now. I'm not sad as they really where unneeded in the grand scheme. The Google algo has gotten sharper and there is no going back.

It appears that many pages of my most important sites had been de-indexed. This I would expect anyway based on experience.
    De-indexed meaning that if you do a search on site:www.yoursite.com you won't see those pages listed? Or if your datafeed pages are in the directory dir and you search site:www.yoursite.com/dir/ you don't see the pages? What does your WMT say? Do you see the pages listed in there?

I would imagine if you are putting product pages out there and they are exactly the same as all the other datafeeds out there that G will view that as supplemental results /dupe content and not deem as important. It is obvious that G does not like that as you have seen and experienced several times. I don't think this is related to May Day but has been G practice for a while to filter out dupe content.

Quote Originally Posted by ladidah View Post
    It is obvious that G does not like that as you have seen and experienced several times. I don't think this is related to May Day but has been G practice for a while to filter out dupe content.
    I think Google's "good" filter upgraded to "excellent" with the May Day update. Matt Cutt's video lays it all out.

Thanks for your replies. The de-indexing issue has been around for a long time, but still it should not have produce such as large drop in revenue this month.

It is definitely duplicate content related, especially with regards to the individual products pages. I do not use WMT for a number of reasons.

There is no way I can rewrite the descriptions of thousands upon thousands of products. I wonder how does everybody else deal with this problem?

Add a blog to your site and direct them to your individual product pages based on your post.

If you walk down the street and see rows of store front windows with exactly the same things in their window, displayed exactly the same way, which one would you buy from?

The one where the store owner just stands there and says nothing, or the one where the store owner invites you in, give you something (freebie), talks to you (blog/content) and listens to your problems (solving your issue)? If G does not index your datafeed pages, fine. Just get the customer into your store via some other door.

John, I am not sure whethe the changes are due to an increase in efficiency of the duplicate content filters. In some cases, you are getting a different set of results altogether. This looks like a major change in the algorithm.

ladidah, I understand what you are suggesting and will be doing this for my best convering products. However, there are millions of products in my datafeeds. I am interested in hearing how others would deal with it in this situation.

8. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread