Anyone have experience with wine programs? I've been having fun putting together a wine site lately, but feel a bit limited by what the networks have to offer. I'd love to add a few solid private label programs. Any good programs out there I may have missed?

I'm not really looking for wine gift basket type programs, just vendors of; wine by the bottle or case, wine books and wine related accessories.

Thanks in advance for any help!

PS Link exchange requests from related sites are welcome.
    Eathan Mertz

Black Cat Mining - Gold Prospecting & Rockhounding Equipment

you have to really hunt to find wine vendors, wine accessories, refrigeration, etc.

books from Amazon.com and using XML to save maintenance. more info at their associate forum.

accessories buried in LS, Linkshare, and a few others. don't forget to find things the wineries can use.

nywinetime.com is a site with some examples.

Thanks much. I hadn't thought of targeting wineries as well as consumers. I imagine there are quite a few other potential markets I hadn't thought of as well...
    Eathan Mertz

and while targeting consumers you probably know about the current state of interstate shipping. until the smoke clears any retail wine sales will come from just certain states.

there must be some wineries that ship out there that could put an affiliate in their shopping cart accounts. I'm stuck with trying to find one in my own state. The only one I know of in the networks is Viansa Winery in LS. Can't speak for their products from experience. Oils and such seem a little upscale, but that may not matter to some.

if you can find a way to mix these in, the B&Bs are eager for the carriage trade the wineries see. They show up in Adsense with decent payouts.

Yeah, the whole shipping thing is a mess. I've read a bit about it at freethegrapes.org, but am still pretty new to the wine arena.

I just recently found a new indy program with a few wines the others don't carry. I'll let you know if it looks at all promising...

Otherwise I'm running the standard network programs plus books, accessories and adsense.

I really wish wineries could ship state to state...

Other options are home wine, beer and meade making supplies. I haven't had a chance to go that way yet, but it seems like a good fit.

Anyway, best of luck!
    Eathan Mertz

in CJ, I think it is the BBQGrillstore or something like that, check the product catalog for wine, bar, etc. Quite a wine rack collection in copper finish.

also there are some online wine purveyors in the UK showing up on searches with affil programs. out of my territory.

Hey Herb,

I was just approved for Wine Enthusiast through Performics. Looks like a good number of accesories, wine racks and cellars, stemware, etc.

Have you tried them?

Cheers!
    Eathan Mertz

ABW Ambassador
    Wine Enthusiast is great. Just checked, converting at 1/17 for the year.

ABW Ambassador
    My advice is to definitely target the UK - there's plenty of online wine shops over here. Personally, OddBins and Laithwaites are my retailers of choice as a consumer. Laithwaites is at CJ and OddBins is at AffiliateWindow. If memory serves, Laithwaites has an extremely high EPC as well.

Wow, 1 in 17 is great!

markymark, I'm definitely looking to target the UK as well. Need to do some database and query tweaks, but I'd like to offer US and UK options on all products.

My wife is English, so we're always keeping an eye out for programs on both shores.

Thanks for pointing out where Oddbins is running their program. They're a great shop. I've never been to Laithwaits (physically), but I'm signed up with them as well.

Thanks!
    Eathan Mertz

ABW Ambassador
    I think the reason that you've never been to Laithwaites is because they don't have a real world shop to the best of my knowledge. They are part of that firm (the name of which escapes me) that advertises direct mail cases of wine in the Sunday Times and The Observer Magazine every week.

As for Oddbins, - I agree totally. Their online shop was a godsend for me having moved to Chatham (where unsurprisingly, there isn't an Oddbins) from Sevenoaks in Kent. I thought I knew a bit about wine, but compared to those guys I'm still drinking Liebfraumilch.

ABW Ambassador
    Incidentally, the trend in UK wine drinking seems to be moving away from New World wines (particularly Chardonnay) towards Chilean wine and Riesling (particulary from, um, Germany, surprisingly enough). The appalling quality of 2003 wines from Australia and California has been partly responsible, but if I was you, I'd focus on Chilean wines of any grape, Riesling and a few select South African producers for your UK visitors. They'll thank you for it.

ABW Ambassador
    Oh, and another thing, don't forget to include offerings from the major supermarkets. There's some seriously good stuff to be had from the Co-Op (Drinks2U at CJ),
    and Waitrose (TradeDoubler) these days.

my wine site is extremely small-regional, with the penalties in usage that go with that. I wish I could offer wines from this state now, to residents in this state, and later, to those from out of the state who can legally order them. There are several in-state dealers who have shopping carts which probably could be modified for an account for me, but I haven't approached any yet, preferring to deal face-to-face with them during one of the industry's get-togethers.

I also wish I could find an online supplier of New York State wines who is outside this state and who can legally deal with the 23 or more "cooperating" states.

I'll be watching many of the winery sites in other states in case they come up with an indy deal. Could happen.

markymark, thanks for the tip! I bought some German wine this weekend on your advice. Last Month's Big Bold Red club offering was a pair of Chilean wines as well, so it looks like I best warm up the old corkscrew...

I'll check the supermarket programs as well! Thanks again!

Herb, it seems like we're in the same boat as far as wine in the USA - all these regulations make it really tough. freethegrapes.org has a lot of info about all the twists and turns of shipping wine in the US, including a bit about New York under the "hot states" area. Good luck!
    Eathan Mertz

Ethan,

Are you with Wine Enthusiast currently? If so, please contact me through email. I don't have enough posts to use the PM system here.

Thanks!

Juli

17. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread