Does PPC Help In Promoting Affiliate Products
    Do any of you use PPC to promote affiliate products from other merchants? I have been researching on a lot of products and find that the CPC : Commission ratio does not seem to ideal at all.

For one, most affiliate products seem to be targeted only at the US or UK market. And the Google SERPS for these countries is cluttered with ads no matter how niche a product I choose. And assuming an average commission of $15 per product, I see that I have to spend more than that to just get a sale or a lead generated.

What are your experiences?

If you can place it strategically enough then I think you could make some extra cash with it. I've never tried this myself but you definitely don't want it to look spammy.I would think one or maybe two ad blocks is enough

I wrote a lengthy blog post (article) on this topic in 2007:
    http://markwelchblog.com/2007/06/01/affiliate-arbitrage-what-is-it-can-i-make-money/

Lots of things have changed since then, carving away even more of the opportunity that existed from "PPC affiliate" activity.

Can it work? Yes. Is it easy? Absolutely not.
    Last edited by markwelch; August 11th, 2010 at 12:54 PM.

Affiliate Manager
    If you know how to do PPC then is worth it.

A big part of my affs are using PPC and succeeding.

If you know how to do PPC then is worth it.
    So true.

I spent thousands on PPC when my sites were first launched, and thought I was quite savvy back then. Natural SERP converts well for me now, so my advertising budget was reduced to zero.

It's very easy to spend a lot of money on PPC in affiliate marketing, but if you know the inner workings, I'm sure it still pays off.

There's too many competition when it comes to PPC. The cost is way too high to appear on top. You're better off doing seo and other type of marketing.

http and a telephoto
    You need to use the marketing techniques that match your skill set, some people are awesome at ppc, other people suck at it. Some people are awesome at SEO, other people suck at it

There is a learning curve with any online marketing method, you have to decide which method (or combination of methods) are right for you.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Pretty much agree with what the majority said on here. If you are familiar with PPC and know the ins and outs (and have seen actual success and failure before) then you know what you are doing. Often times people it is not in affiliates skill set and they will try to master PPC, either through search traffic jumping a trend or some other flash in the pan method.

Best thing I can say when someone asks a general traffic question like this is absolutely know what you want to run with and learn for the long term. It never works when you want to experiment and see if you can ride success short term.

Quote Originally Posted by LukeCBiz View Post
    Best thing I can say when someone asks a general traffic question like this is absolutely know what you want to run with and learn for the long term. It never works when you want to experiment and see if you can ride success short term.
    Well, I do know lots of guys succeed in short-term projects. The keypoint is, the cash is cash.

10. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread