ABW Ambassador
    Unhappy $500 for Google Campaign Maintanence - Am I being Ripped Off?
    Hi: We are paying this company $500 to maintain our Google Adwords Campaigns. I mean in the beginning this was fine because they did a great job setting it up. And we are definately yielding far above that in sales. But they say their is constant tweeking etc to keeps the ads up etc. So my question is, is this normal and a reasonable fee - or are we being ripped off?

ABW Ambassador
    If you didn't pay the $500, how much do you think that this would cost you in lost sales as a result of the campaign stagnating?

How often do you have to pay the $500?

ABW Ambassador
    They charge me $500 a month to maintain the Google Adwords Campaign. Meaning they are monitoring it and tweaking the ads to keep them on top and to keep the ROI and CPC etc at a good rate and making changes as needed to maintain our goals. I don't know how much I would lose because my question is if you are running a Google Adwords Campaign - is monthly tweaking and monitoring a necessity to maintain those sales aside from of course funding the account which is a given, and if it is a necessity, is $500 a month a reasonable amount in doing so?

ABW Ambassador
    I am not an expert, but that does seem to be an extremely high amount to pay per month.

Have you considered finding someone else to do it for you? Shop around and find a better deal.

ABW Ambassador
    Ok thank you - I thought so. If anyone wants to give their thoughts I'd appreciate an input of what is a reasonable amount.

I think a lot of PPC consultants work on a % of the Campaign spend. 5 to 10 percent maybe? Shop around though, as I'm going on some old info from when i looked into it a while back....
    Kevin Webster
    twitter: levelanalytics

Kayak Fishing
    Web Analytics and Affiliate Marketing

Affiliate Manager Resume Companion's Avatar
    It depends on how many adgroups and campaigns they are managing, and what your monthly spend is. There is also a tool in adwords so you can see the change history on your account. You can see what they are doing in terms of daily maintenance. Are they also providing landing page optimization and using google analytics to improve overall conversion?

If you are seeing a positive ROI, I would keep them on board until you feel comfortable managing the account yourself. If they are a large agency, they will also have tools you and I could not afford. These tools help manage PPC across google, yahoo and microsoft. I would inquire about that as well.

May I ask who the PPC mgmt company is?
    Howard Chai, Affiliate Manager
    Email: [email]affiliate@resumecompanion.com[/email]
    Website: [URL="http://resumecompanion.com"]ResumeCompanion.com[/URL]
    SAS Program Link: [URL="http://www.shareasale.com/shareasale.cfm?merchantID=26342"]Join Now[/URL]

SEO: A Specialty - Web Design: Slow or outsourced andbeyond's Avatar
    The Call is coming from Inside the House!
    If your spend is around $3000 monthly or more that fee seems ok to me. If your spend is not that high, that $500 fee might be their minimum fee. The industry norms seem to be 15 to 20%.

If they did a great job in the beginning they are probably doing a great job now but you dont know exactly what they are doing. Like was said above you can login to the account and look at the "Change history" and see how much someone is logged in.

It should show several times a month ideally. The length of time online may not be that high if they are using outside tools. But look for lots of tweaks to ads, keywords, and possibly bid prices.

Personally I would not manage most (any?) accounts for 5%. It might seem like easy money but it is not. Also most clients that have large spends are quite demanding or the industry is difficult and the competitors are always changing things and messing with you.

Also I know I can save people more than 15% so I want to cost at least that. With an agency you dont have to do anything at all except maybe read the reports and they are probably saving you what they cost.

But of course I might be a little biased.

ABW Ambassador
    Hi: Our budget for Google Adwords is $2000 month. Wow this is very enlightening - I never knew what to click on to see what they were doing so telling me to go to the change history was very helpful. I see they have been doing ALOT of work. I wouldn't have a clue how to manage all those aspects that they have, nor the time. So I think I will keep them. I understand better now with these last two responses being SUPER SUPER HELPFUL!! Thanks alot.

ABW Ambassador
    The industry norms seem to be 15 to 20%.

Hey JadaKiss - may I ask which PPC mgmt firm you are using?
    SAS Program Link: [URL="http://www.shareasale.com/shareasale.cfm?merchantID=26342"]Join Now[/URL]

Interesting. Didn't realize the % had gotten up that "high". PPC management is tough though, and the only way you can really determine if that $500 is worth it is.... you guessed it... analyze your results
    Kevin Webster
    twitter: levelanalytics

Kayak Fishing
    Web Analytics and Affiliate Marketing

ABW Ambassador
    @Resume Companion- I don't want to put anyone on blast - so I can't say who they are. They do an assume job and they handle alot of my marketing too - but I just needed to know if that was a fair price being that I had nothing to compare it to.

No worries, I understand. I just ask b/c my firm might be interested in their services. If you don't mind revealing them to me directly, I can be reached info [at] resumecompanion [dot] com

We're in the resume builder vertical.

ABW Ambassador
    We have used MakeMeTop for large clients.

If you have 50,000 job related phrases, you will need a management tool.

You might explore these guys

When I did PPC management for clients, I charged a lot more than $500 per month. But the real question is, what exactly are they doing for you, and how are you measuring their performance? And how can you validate the performance measures?

I once took over PPC management of an account where another agency was actually manipulating data to create the false appearance of success. The client contacted me because their internal data didn't reflect the sales increase shown by the "outside experts' analytical tools."

The cost (both initial and ongoing) to manage PPC campaigns depends on your specific goals and activities. It generally takes a lot of time to "set up" or "modify" a PPC account at the beginning, and then often there is much more modest activity each month. However, I've had clients who had immense PPC-management needs, who chose to pay me monthly to do as much as I could each month to improve the account (tens of thousands of keywords).

More than a decade ago, I opined that it would probably make more sense (better ROI) to pay an agency $10,000 to intelligently plan a way to spend $10,000 on advertising, than to pay an agency $1,000 to plan a $19,000 advertising campaign.

It's all about ROI. Period.

If a prospective client wanted me to "make sure their listing was always first," I declined the opportunity, because "being first" isn't a reasonable goal, without reference to ROI. I had prospective clients who used all sorts of "intermediate metrics" for performance of a PPC campaign, but I only worked with clients who agreed to use ROI as the metric, and who could actually track and report meaningfully on ROI. That excluded about 90% of the prospective clients who contacted me.

http://markwelchblog.com/2009/07/29/...diate-metrics/

Yes, its all about ROI. When I was at cyberlink the rule of thumb for PPC was 2x ROI. CJ was the PPC mgmt firm and they charged I believe a % of monthly spend. I don't recall if there was also a monthly mgmt fee.

What other firms (not multi-channel) PPC mgmt firms do you guys recommend? Sorry if this is covered in another thread.

18. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread