For those who are still interested in online sports, here is a copy of a letter I've just sent them.

quote:
    On October 8th I recieved the following letter from you in response to an inquiry about your high reversal rate.

We are also working to add very soon new software which will not allow customers to place an order without a valid credit card number. This should reduce the number of bogus orders dramatically. This is a major concern for us and we are trying to improve it as soon as possible.

May I ask how this is coming? It''s been over 2 months and during that time (actually in Nov. alone) you reversed over $54,000 worth of purchases from my site. The folks at mlb.com
    - for whom I sell exactly the same products - have yet to register even one (1) reversal. Can you give me any incentive at all to continue promoting your site?

oh yeah, and please dont' hound me for why I just don't drop them. If only life was so simple.

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    So the GSI butt holes spent 2 million on a centralized merchant shopping cart solution without a 20.00 per month CC fraud protection plug-in. Right ..and I've got some prime swampland in Fla to sell you.

Could the high reversals have to with the other sneaky diversion GSI tactics to negate commisisons? How about cookies and the keep-no setting or 800# and central gift certificate/registry service and 100% commitment to be on every BHO parasite list!!

Just another merchant aggregrator like vStores spinning BS to duped affiliates. Love to see them not make payroll at Christmas and fold in the New Year.

Webmaster Mike

"Anyone can make a dollar, it is when you make sense that it starts to add up."...does your eBiz plan make sense?

Mike,

I don't believe that Online-Sports is a GSI site.

No it's not, but I loved the rant.

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    You mean GSI doesn't have all the lame converting sports sites in their group?? Must be a outsider paying to use their ecataloging service.

Webmaster Mike

"Anyone can make a dollar, it is when you make sense that it starts to add up."...does your eBiz plan make sense?

ABW Ambassador
    quote:
    you reversed over $54,000 worth of purchases from my site
    ...and what percentile of affiliates do you fall into with sales like that? Dayum! I wish I could generate sales like that. What kind of site do you have? sheet. Is this from a year? a month? a week? tell me! dayum - oops, did I already say that once? [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Big Chuck
    If you can't run with the big dogs, then stay on the porch!

that was reversed November sales - for onlinesports alone.

And that is one of the reasons I dont' want to dump them, they do have a 67% reversal rate, but 33% of something is better than 100% of nothing.

ABW Ambassador
    ok.. great! but... ok... what kind of site do you have? How many? what do you do? sheet, I wanna know. come onnnnnnnnnn [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_cool.gif[/img]

Big Chuck
    If you can't run with the big dogs, then stay on the porch!

quote:
    Originally posted by ToughTurkey:
    For those who are still interested in online sports, here is a copy of a letter I've just sent them.

quote:
    On October 8th I recieved the following letter from you in response to an inquiry about your high reversal rate.

We are also working to add very soon new software which will not allow customers to place an order without a valid credit card number. This should reduce the number of bogus orders dramatically. This is a major concern for us and we are trying to improve it as soon as possible.

May I ask how this is coming? It''s been over 2 months and during that time (actually in Nov. alone) you reversed over $54,000 worth of purchases from my site. The folks at mlb.com
    - for whom I sell exactly the same products - have yet to register even one (1) reversal. Can you give me any incentive at all to continue promoting your site?

oh yeah, and please dont' hound me for why I just don't drop them. If only life was so simple.

we understand. to some people 54K is just pocket change! leaves more competition for us!

quote:
    Originally posted by ToughTurkey:
    that was reversed November sales - for onlinesports alone.

And that is one of the reasons I dont' want to dump them, they do have a 67% reversal rate, but 33% of something is better than 100% of nothing.

ok, i guess theres some logic there! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img]

[img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

"oh yeah, and please dont' hound me for why I just don't drop them. If only life was so simple."

In your case due to the $ involved, I would not say "Forget about them." Yet I would seriously consider not sending them anything else. It makes no sense that the others you deal with do not have this issue to any remote similar degree. I don't know about this merchant, as I have never delt with them, but going off of what you are saying I would think them to be rather suspect.

I've known of several merchants in the past who have cried "fraud" as a cover. I think in your case, due to such high volumes, that they would not have problems producing documentation from a third party (their merchant account provider for example)to substantiate their situation with you. I do doubt that they would be willing to provide.

"And that is one of the reasons I dont' want to dump them, they do have a 67% reversal rate, but 33% of something is better than 100% of nothing."

The only problem is that if you are being skanked, in all liklihood they will continue to "feel you up" to test your treshold of tolerance for reversals. These sort of outfits tend to have no limit to their greed. They most likely will continue to send your success rate downwards to increase their take from you to the highest possible level.

Sadly, affiliate marketing involves trust. There are many out there whom are not trustworthy.

ABW Ambassador
    Replace them with another merchant, search and search, you would probably find a replacement for most products, and may be you could make more than 54k!

In the future try to place your great movements in a category with at least 2 merchants that fits.

I was selling a very hot product at a 10 per day speed, with 3 merchants playing (to support stock-ready also!), one merchant raised the price and I switched to the other 2 only, then reversed the price, I switched back to 3 (random traffic switcher), then the same merchant had an idea: inserted a big "Call now to xxxxxx" in that product page, and got out of the game the same day.

You may not stand in one merchant for issues concerning big amounts for many reasons...

Fer

ABW Ambassador
    Just to chime in on the subject ...

My 2 year+ track record with OnlineSports .. Shows almost all transaction under $50 ... Slide under the radar. It's the higher ticket items that always get the reversals.

How can ANY comapany, online or off, Stay in business with a near 70% reversal rate?

Youd think they might have at least one month where .. say .. 30% sales stick.

Give um an inch and they take a mile [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Dave

quote:
    higher ticket items that always get the reversals.

This is strange. OnlineSports is one of our better merchants. We don't get anywhere near this type of reversal, and when they do reverse, it's any amount.

Must be a completely different type of visitor.

CodeJockey.

Recieved a response yesterday to my letter posted above:

quote:
    Thank you for your email and I appreciate your concern. Unfortunately this new software has not been put in place yet, but we are definitely working on this and expect to have it implemented sometime in January. (I cant promise it, but it is very high on the list of priorities for our technical department.
    For 2003 we expect this to reduce the number of bogus orders with bad cc #s. I look forward to our mutual growth in the coming year. You are a valued affiliate partner and we do not want to lose you. Thanks for your understanding and Happy Holidays.

ABW Ambassador
    I thought this might be pertenant in this thread somewhere . . .
    quote:
    Is the MLB.com Shop Affiliate Program right for you? Below are a few of the things MLB.com looks for in a website when selecting Affiliates (more complete requirements will be provided, when appropriate).

1. Your website has receives at a minimum 200,000 unique visitors per day.
    2. Your website banners and buttons generate between a 5% to 8% click through rate.
    3. Your website has the ability to deliver high caliber leads online that convert to substantial revenue.
    4. Your website features content suitable for all ages and is consistent with high ethical, moral and commercial standards.
    5. Your website has been operational online for longer than 6 months.
    6. Your website is completely functional (i.e., it is not under construction).
    Press Submit to see the likelihood of acceptance to the MLB.com Shop Affiliate Program.

MLB is looking for quality high traffic sites - but the affiliate manager, Darnel, is willing to give smaller quality sites a chance if you can convince him you will perform.

19. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread