Question Thoughtful criminal
    Last month, I had a jewelry sale reversed. I wasn't very happy, as it was a $200 commission, but I understand it happens.

A few days passed, and I was still thinking about the reversal. The sale came from my coupon site, and the referring visitor came from a PPC ad.

So why would this criminal, with a stolen credit card, get to the checkout screen and think, "Oh, I should save a few bucks for the guy whose credit card I stole" and go searching for a coupon?

Currently, the merchant's reply (and that's all I have to go on) is "a stolen credit card number was used, and the payment was reversed."

This may be the case, but I find a thoughtful criminal to be rather suspicious.

http and a telephoto
    A. Wife made a purchase hubby didn't appreciate and he reported CC stolen.
    B. Merchant is not being truthful.
    C. Bank messed up.

I agree that a person with a stolen CC probably isn't going to be hunting for a coupon.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Are they on a network where the reversal rate is public? If so, is it excessive?

Perhaps they really meant "invalid credit card" or "credit card charge disputed"?
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Affiliate Manager
    Actually on my personal retail site - we did have an incident where someone used a coupon AND requested a gift card and guess what? STOLEN CARD

I guess it all depends on the the relationship you have with your merchant. Do you trust them? You'll be amazed how quickly people cancel orders. Im sure it was legit.
    [COLOR="Green"][SIZE="2"]Partner with VerticalResponse and earn up to $125 per sale! [URL="http://bit.ly/itF4W2"][U]Apply Now[/U][/URL].[/SIZE][/COLOR]

Merchant is working with a network. 30-day reversal rate varies between 33-300% (really? 300%???)

I guess part of having an automated system is picking up merchants with crappy stats like this.

Still waiting for merchant reply, but not holding my breath.

Quote Originally Posted by esnagel View Post
    Merchant is working with a network. 30-day reversal rate varies between 33-300% (really? 300%???)

I guess part of having an automated system is picking up merchants with crappy stats like this.

Still waiting for merchant reply, but not holding my breath.
    Wow, as a merchant myself if I had a third of my sales reversed I'd be taking a very close look at the reasons why.
    Greg Rice Affiliate Program Management
    www.gocmc.com info(AT)gocmc.com | 330-259-1223

Join us! - MiNeeds.com | DiscountCandleShop/CheeseSupply | Feng Shui Plaza

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Rice View Post
    Wow, as a merchant myself if I had a third of my sales reversed I'd be taking a very close look at the reasons why.
    If I were a network and had a merchant with a third of their sales reversed I'd be taking a very close look at the reasons why.

-rematt
    "I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." - Richard Nixon

heh... latest reply:

This is the case 90% of the times, they start the search in coupon sites
    First: no they don't.
    Second: they didn't start at my site. I have server logs - they're magical things. I can see this user (IP goes back to Stanford University) came into my site specifically looking for a coupon for this merchant, didn't look around, but rather immediately left the site via my affiliate link once they had the coupon.

On one hand, I don't care. It didn't cost me that much (aside from the lost revenue).

On the other hand, it still smells fishy.

It does look weird. But the stolen card can mean everything from not having permission to just plain buyer remorse. People lie all the time on these chargeback forms.

We have classified ads posted for a person's offer where the ad itself tells people to contact the exact same person at the same address of the person who paid for the ad. Yet the chargeback comes through saying either the card was lost, stolen, or unauthorized use. We have had spouses claiming the other one did not have permission.

Years ago we would contest these with server logs, copies of ads, emails from the customer, etc. We lost every one.

The bottom line for an Internet merchant is that all a person has to do is contest the charge and you lose. No signature = losing every chargeback.
    Brad Waller | VP, Business and Affiliate Development
    EPage.com

Thanks Brad - your reply explained a lot. I never realized people could / would do that.

Eric

Regardless of all of the great explanations for why this particular sale might have been reversed, a merchant with a reversal rate of 33% or more is still a cause for concern. Either they're not being honest or they're not very good at what they do. Whatever the reason for the high reversal rate, I'd be wary of continuing to work with them. Just sayin'...

-rematt
    "I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." - Richard Nixon

12. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread