Donations To Help Animals Affected By The Oil Spill
    I know this will get me in trouble again, but what else is new.

I chose to post this on ShareASale because this network is the easiest to contact and has the biggest presence on ABW.

A lot of merchants do a lot of good things for charity. The promotion of Breast Cancer Awareness is just one of those causes merchants promote and donate to.

However, there is a disaster unfolding in the Gulf of Mexico and along the shores of our country. Of course, I am speaking of the Oil Spill.

There is nothing political about this Oil Spill. It does not discriminate based on political affiliation, race, religion, sexual orientation, creed, culture, gender or anything like that.

It simply destroys everything in it's path.

So far, I have only received one email from a merchant I am affiliated with which is donating to help the animals affected by this ugly, destructive monster that grows more powerful each day. That merchant was the National Wildlife Federation on Linkshare.

I don't read everything posted in this forum. So, if I have missed something a merchant or network is doing I do apologize.

This isn't about an energy policy. This isn't about Republican or Democrat. This isn't about race. This isn't about Gay or Straight. This isn't about Catholic, Protestant, Jew, Muslim, Baptist, Mormom, Hindu or Atheist.

This is about saving our planet.

I would just like to say that I think merchants and networks have an opportunity here to make a statement. Merchants and networks "advertise" their donations to charity or research on ABW all the time.

People affected by this disaster have agencies and other people to turn to for help.

The plants and animals have no one to turn to and are just sitting there waiting for us, the citizens of this planet, to help them.

I really would love to see more merchants and maybe even networks take a stand to help the plants and animals that can not help themselves.

Donating a portion of sales to agencies that are helping to clean the area and rescue the animals is a great start.

I for one, and I am sure many other affiliates, would LOVE to promote banners or text links for merchants who are willing to donate to help save these members of our planet which can not save themselves.

Go ahead, delete my post and ban me. I don't give a crap. Merchants donate money all the time and promote that fact on ABW. These plants and animals need us and I think it is a shame that more merchants are not stepping forward to help.

TO THOSE WHO ARE... THANK YOU SO VERY MUCH!!!

This is an opportunity for merchants and networks to help a good cause.

THE PLANET EARTH!!!

Thank you for your time!

Almost forgot. ABW and INET could also donate a portion of ad sales or something (if they aren't already).

ABW Ambassador
    moved from the SAS forum to Midnight Forum.

"Go ahead, delete my post and ban me. I don't give a crap."

Seriously, stop with that already. You're here posting aren't you.

Anyways.........moved to the Midnight Forum. Since it's more general in nature and any network, merchant, affiliate etc can do something if they want, don't just put this on SAS.

Super Dawg Member Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    Merchants, affiliates, OPMs, networks, forum-owners alike, here are two organizations helping to save oil-ravaged animals in the gulf:

Tri-State Bird Rescue and Research For more than 30 years they have been helping to save animals affected by oil spills.

Audubon Nature Institute Helping animals for more than 1-1/2 centuries.
    Since June 10, 2012 a vegan aarf but still writing the Hound Dawg Sports Blog
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;
    "Raj, there’s no place for truth on the internet." -Howard Wolowitz[/SIZE]

Thanks AffiliateHound. Those are some awesome organizations.

If anyone else has some reputable organization they would like to list here, that would be great.

Come on "merchants, affiliates, OPMs, networks, forum-owners".

We only have one planet. This our home. Don't give it up without a fight. Those plants and animals need us. Our planet need us.

Thanks for posting this Snowfinch. I grew up in Louisiana and am deeply saddened by the damage being done to the waters, the coast and its inhabitants.

I checked out the Audubon link from affiliatehound, the message from the President mentions some organizations that are donating. One of them is Build-a-Bear which is launching in cj soon (however their donation campaign is for in store customers).

Like you, I hope that more groups/companies/individuals will find ways to help the Gulf of Mexico survive this disastor.

http and a telephoto
    We don't always "advertise" where we or our merchants send donations. And our merchants don't always tell us what they do.

I think it is great to raise awareness of the issue and thanks for the links to the organizations. I will post them to some animal related sites that I have.

But don't assume anyone is not donating just because they aren't being vocal about it.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

QUOTE BY SNOWFINCH: TO THOSE WHO ARE... THANK YOU SO VERY MUCH!!!

I never said merchants or anyone else wasn't helping out. What I am saying is if they are and want the affiliates to help, like with other "charity drives", many of us would love to place banners or links on our site making people aware that a portion of the money they spend will go to a wonderful cause.

For example: Someone is going to buy a DVD. They would probably be more inclined to purchase it if they know 10% of their purchase or $1 for every $50 is going to help with this disaster and the innocent life endangered by it. They are going to buy a DVD anyway. It would be nice for them to be aware that a portion of the purchase will go to this cause.

Thanks CathyM for the comments. I grew up in South Alabama and the Florida Panhandle. I had a brother-in-law who was in the shrimping business in Morgan City, LA and went to that area many times as a child. From the sandy white beaches in Pensacola to the Louisiana Bayou. All beautiful in it's own unique way.

Loxly. Any links to organizations would be most welcome. Maybe those just passing by reading may want to help. From affiliates to merchants. From an online shopper to a network. From a web surfer to an OPM. Every little bit counts and helps.

http and a telephoto
    If anyone else knows of organizations to post, I can create a consolidated list.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Thanks Loxly. However, there does not to seem to be a lot of interest in this. I really wish merchants, AMs, OPM, networks and the like had of and still will show the interest in this that they did the Millionth Post Contest.

However, so far, you are the only merchant, AM, OPM, network and the like which has shown any interest at all and for that I thank you.

Maybe I could come post, or someone can, pictures of some of those oil covered birds and maybe that will help. They rescued 300 just in Venice, LA alone yesterday. The survival rate of completely oil covered birds is 1%.

This is not to mention the sea turtles, otters, dolphins, raccoons, fish, crabs, shrimp and so forth that are dying a horrible death.

Most, if not all, animal rescue crews are having to buy their own protective gear to go in to the heavily oiled areas to attempt rescues. This is one of the reasons we aren't seeing or hearing of more rescued animals. They have to buy the gear and then get trained.

A reporter on NBC said if they stop the oil spill today, it will take 60 years to clean it up.

So, there is plenty of time. However, by fall 2010, there may not be any animals in the region left to save if we don't act now.

I realize my opening post was overly passionate. I won't apologize. When it comes to saving my planet... my home... I am very passionate.

Dawn, the dishwashing liquid company was actually doing a promotion, when you purchased a bottle there was a code that could be entered into their website triggering a $1.00 donation to help cleanup the gulf. From what I understand this was quite successful.

You can also go directly to the source, these folks might be able to help you figure out just where the money is needed most.

http://www.deepwaterhorizonresponse.com/go/site/2931/

http and a telephoto
    Dawn dishwashing liquid is actually what they use to clean the birds with, I didn't look at their site so don't know if they are donating their product or not. It has been used to clean rescued birds forever.

Defender of Truth, Justice and the Affiliate Way
    I've kind of refrained from posting in this thread because this is an event I feel very strongly and passionate about. This is in my own backyard, a place I've lived my entire life and a culture I absolutely love. Katrina was devastating, but what is happening with this oil spill pales in comparison with the ramifications. Thank-you for posting Snowfinch.

A report I heard the other day (don't remember where since I'm following so many daily) talked about the donations or lack of them. It seems that very few donations are happening and it was speculated that it's because BP is supposed to be financially responsible for all of it.

I won't get into whether or not BP is acting quickly and efficiently enough. The fact is that the spill is of such magnitude that no one company can do everything that needs to be done right now to minimize the long-term damage.

Here's a video by the AP on one of our local stations showing what is involved in rescuing the birds

Here's a pretty extensive collection of photos showing the impact on wildlife.

To get a feel for the magnitude of the oil spill, here's a site that will overaly the oil spill on any town you want. It's done by a Google Earth engineer.

The last I heard, which was a few days ago, over 3000 acres of marshland in Plaquemines Parish have been lost to oil. Reports who have managed to get into these areas say it is totally dead....no sound at all from any kind of wildlife. No birds, frogs, insects...nothing..totally no noise at all.

Of the wildlife being recovered which have come into contact with the oil, only about 30% are alive. The rest have already perished. If they are able to get to them quickly after they come in contact with the oil, the chances of saving them are actually pretty good. The key is to be able to find and capture them quickly.

Personally, I no longer think that our wetlands will be the same in my lifetime. ut it is critical that both BP and the government are kept under public pressure to do everything possible to fix this unbelievable mess. wonder where the public support from all the companies who have been marketing "green" the last few years is right now?

I too am thankful to anyone who either makes donations or keeps the pressure on for an efficient response to this tragic diaster.
    Last edited by Kellie aka Ms. B; June 10th, 2010 at 01:26 PM. Reason: fixed some really strange formatting

Kellie aka Ms. B - Thanks for the comments and awesome links. Educating people on what we are facing and what we will be facing for many years to come is vital. I know a lot of people are passionate about this whole oil spill issue and they should be. It is the new reality of life on Earth.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Wildlife, such as birds, have no real understanding, They do what instinct tells them.

They don't look out and say "Look at all that oil. Let's fly out to California until they get this mess cleaned up."

Nope. They just go right on walking in it, swimming in it and feeding in it.

A lot of wildlife is going to need a lot of help to survive this. Most of that help must come from us.

15. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread