Super Dawg Member Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    Beware Bloggers and Webmasters: What is "Fair Use"
    Read a horrifying column in today's LA Times re a second-rate newspaper (sorry Vegas people) suing every warm body they can find on the web for what may or may not be "fair use" of article content:

On the Media: Las Vegas Review-Journal bares its claws

Of course you should not copy articles verbatim, or even large portions of articles, but where do you draw the line? And the R-J has sued non-commercial sites with no ads and no profit motive.
    Since June 10, 2012 a vegan aarf but still writing the Hound Dawg Sports Blog
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;
    "Raj, there’s no place for truth on the internet." -Howard Wolowitz[/SIZE]

Very interesting subject, and a very interesting article you've linked to there, Hound.

I like the suggestions in this statement in the article:

"Two Web journalists who Twittered me on Tuesday independently offered the same rule of thumb -- don't republish more than three paragraphs. Always name your source. Always link to the original."

It would be extremely helpful if some serious level of court rulings could settle the "fair use" issue. Perhaps, for the purpose of U.S. law, some sort of Supreme Court ruling.

But so far, that hasn't happened. And if it did, there's no reason to believe non-U.S. websites would abide by any definitive court ruling(s).

I'd personally bet that following the suggestions in that paragraph I've quoted will keep you pretty safe. Uh, well, since I occasionally quote news articles and books on my websites, I guess I HAVE personally bet on that. LOL!
    Generate more fake news.

More Cheesier Than Ever Cheesehead's Avatar
    The whole issue here is posting so much of the article that the reader does not feel the need to visit the original article, even if a link is handy. Even 2 paragraphs is too much if the original article only has 4. I think something more like "a line or two" would be appropriate.
    This World is Not My Home
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

The slot machine that IS paid! Billy Kay's Avatar
    http://nl.newsbank.com/nl-search/we/..._useweights=no

How can you call it a 2nd rate paper when they do stories on a first rate person

The slot machine that IS paid! Billy Kay's Avatar
    Nevermind - they make you register to see the archives. The stories just say Billy Kay is cool

Super Dawg Member Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    The R-J should be as cool as B-K
    Since June 10, 2012 a vegan aarf but still writing the Hound Dawg Sports Blog
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;
    "Raj, there’s no place for truth on the internet." -Howard Wolowitz[/SIZE]

7. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread