Hi,
    I am a software engineer and I have devoloped a toolbar for internet explorer which I want to give away as freeware but earn revenue on through affiliate links. The toolbar isn't adware or spyware of any kind and it isn't another search toolbar like hundreds of others, it is unique and usefull.
    What would be good programs (or types of programs) to try to promote on it in order to make money ?
    I was thinking along the lines of usefull resources that users would like to have buttons linking to. Maybe ebay, amazon, priceline.
    Does anyone know of a good price comparison site that has an affiliate program ?
    Thanks very much in advance,
    Elisha.

I think your talents are being wasted doing an IE toolbar...

btw, IE toolbars = bad @ abw.

ABW Ambassador
    Is there a commonality amongst the potential users of your toolbar? If not, you can't get more general than Amazon.

Without knowing how your toolbar will generate revenue for you, I'd suggest looking at the TOS of any program you are interested in to see if your methods of getting commissions aren't in violation. Most programs & network require a person to click on a link to a merchant's site. Some even enforce this.

Link buttons on a ~useful~ toolbar could be a money-maker.

Wayne

The toolbar is kind of a bookmark manager to organize all or a user's most used links and favorite sites. The commonality would be people who download software from the internet ?
    Thanks for the replies,
    Elisha.

What ElectricPixel.com said.

Fred

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>btw, IE toolbars = bad @ abw. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Generally yes. Toolbars aren't in themselves aren't a bad thing. The potential for background abuse is, though. We see and feel the effects of the abuse and being naturally cautious, tend to paint all with the same broad brush.

Like it or not, the public seems to like toolbars. My parasite detector bears this out.

If Google came here asking for advice about their toolbar, I think the reception might be different. I'll take Elisha's word that the toolbar is on the up & up. In fact it would be a refreshing change to see a useful toolbar.

By the way, welcome to ABW, Elisha.

Wayne

Thank you Wayne.
    Just to be clear on this my toolbar is totally clean no spyware or adware or anything (it's not a BHO).
    I origonally got the idea for a toolbar when I saw hotbar for the first time and I imediatly though what a piece of crap why would anyone want that even before I knew all the things it did. I intended my toolbar to be the exact opposite of hotbar. Instead of giving you links for you to visit it would let you customize it for the links YOU want to have. This is also the reason that i want the affiliate links that I add to be usefull resources something a user would use all the time not some ebook that he can maybe buy or something like that.
    Still I need a revenue model.
    I think a link to a comparison shopping site would be ideal for my toolbar but none of the good ones have affiliate programs (that I know of).
    Right now I am thinking of going with ebay and amazon. Anyone have any ideas ?
    Thanks a lot,
    Elisha.

Advertising revenue model for it would be link placements.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>I am thinking of going with ebay and amazon. Anyone have any ideas ? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Make sure to search ABW for "ebay" before going too far with them. They have been getting a HUGE amount of complaints lately! In short, they have a terrible case of reversal mania.

As for Amazon, I think they may have something against that in their TOS, especially since they have their own bar (unless they've gotten rid of that Alexa/Amazon bar).

You might want to look for some other big multi-category merchants...
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

10. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread