Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Affiliate Manager
    Google's Idea or Armed Robbery??
    Woke up early in the morning, ready to surf the web and realized that my homepage changed spontaneously!

No viruses, no! Just Google changing it's homepage background to a pretty forest and Ops! Google did it again! this is not Google's idea.

The pioneer for this was Microsoft's Bing that at that time, got a very large amount of new surfers due to this lovely design.

Guess this is another Google experiment, unfortunately nothing original this time.

As for me... well it's hard to see anything with that dark forest around but if you want to change it here is a link to the explanation Change Background Image Google Homepage.

What do you think?

15 years and counting
    Just an other stupid idea from Google. They are not bringing any more value to the market. Just scrapping other people content and stealing other people home page. Lame!!!

The more people move to Bing/Yahoo the better!!
    MERCHANTS: Start showing your coupons directly on your site, that way your shoppers will stop leaving your site looking for them!! If not then remove your Coupon Box!!

Quote Originally Posted by kse View Post
    The more people move to Bing/Yahoo the better!!
    +1

Bing does it right. That background design on G this morning is awful.
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

Monkey see monkey do.

It is fugly.

Sorry google. You need to hire some creative types and let the geeks be geeks.

ABW Ambassador
    awful x3

They must be doing A/B testing, it looks the same as always on mine, but then it is not my 'home page'.

It looks normal to me, too. I didn't go there yesterday, but this morning it looks like it always has.
    Daniel M. Clark
    Tech Manager
    Greg Hoffman Consulting

I still see it on google.ca
    MERCHANTS: Start showing your coupons directly on your site, that way your shoppers will stop leaving your site looking for them!! If not then remove your Coupon Box!!

http and a telephoto
    Remember when Google was clean and easy to use and they set themselves apart from the other cluttered search engines?
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Quote Originally Posted by 2busy View Post
    They must be doing A/B testing, it looks the same as always on mine, but then it is not my 'home page'.
    Or, possibly, regional testing. I've seen three different scenes already this morning (FF and Safari on a Mac) and no "plain ol' Goog" - except on my iPhone (just checked).
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

ABW Ambassador
    Simple and clean is what stands Google out. Now they are losing confidence in themselves. I love to see some real competition from Bing and others. It just too dangerous to let one giant rule the entire serch engine world.

I don't understand why everybody complains so much about google. Most of us here.... I'd venture to guess 99%+ of those of us who have reasonably successful websites.... have benefitted for years from what google has done to bring visitors/customers to our websites, at no cost to us. The word "blessing" doesn't even begin to cover it.

Yes it would be really nice to see a few more players on the field, but if a behemoth like Microsoft can't put up a good fight and compete with you, is it because you squashed them like a bug, or is it because of their own incompetence? It's not Google's fault if their competitors run around bumbling like the Three Stooges.
    CUSTOM BANNERS by GRAPHICS CANDY ~ Banner Sets and Website Graphics ~ Professional design, reasonable rates
    DESIGNER DOG CHECKS ~ We double-dog dare ya to write one!

15 years and counting
    Google didn't invent the web. There was a life before Google and I was making money way before Google. I don't understand why I should be thankful for Google.
    I'm sure you never heard of Archie, Excite, Lycos, Infoseek, AltaVista, Inktomi, Yahoo...

Oh wow, I had to see this to believe it.. This is horrid, isn't this the reason that they started /ig?? So those that wanted a bloated and slow loading page could have one, but those of us who wanted quick search results could have that too??

I wish Bing and or Yahoo had docs integrated as well as Google..

Defender of Truth, Justice and the Affiliate Way
    Hideous! I feel like I installed one of those horrific screensavers.

Luckily I rarely go to google home page...just search directly via the toolbar so I'm spared any visual tramua.

"Archie, Excite, Lycos, Infoseek, AltaVista, Inktomi, Yahoo."

But where are they now?

If somebody doesn't like Google, they can block Googlebot in their robots.txt file.

It just amazes me that so many folks who have seen nothing but benefit from Google will run around acting like Google has done something to them, or as if Google "owes them more". It's absurd.
    CUSTOM BANNERS by GRAPHICS CANDY ~ Banner Sets and Website Graphics ~ Professional design, reasonable rates
    DESIGNER DOG CHECKS ~ We double-dog dare ya to write one!

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by mayfly View Post
    Simple and clean is what stands Google out. Now they are losing confidence in themselves. I love to see some real competition from Bing and others. It just too dangerous to let one giant rule the entire serch engine world.
    That's exactly it. When I see them mimic Bing, they're telling me they're actually worried about them. I still think Bing sucks. I tried it for a week and it wasn't that good and it's stuff I brought up before:

Who has the biggest index? Google

Who has the freshest index? Google - That's very important, Bing just takes a lot longer to get new pages

Who has the most relevent? That's open to debate, I still think Google and everytime there is a poll on this, Google comes out ahead.

"If somebody doesn't like Google, they can block Googlebot in their robots.txt file."

I don't see anybody saying they don't like free traffic. Doesn't negate anything people are bringing up.

Idea for a poll

Agree with Trust, when I first saw it I thought I was at Bing then realized Google must have decided to reveal a long planned upgrade to their homepage that MS just happened to release first.
    Someday starts today
    Military Discounts

I don't see anybody saying they don't like free traffic. Doesn't negate anything people are bringing up.
    Not to speak for him, but I think David was hinting at "if you have so much disdain for them, get them off your site".

Sort of hyperbole, really. No one running a commercial site is going to block Google's bot.

Sometimes the anti Google rhetoric goes too far. I'm guilty of it myself. At the same time, they've provided me with traffic, tools to do my job, and valuable data over the years.

There are days I hate them, days I love them, and days where I couldn't care less about them.

But I respect them everyday. They have a lot of power and data.

As for the new Search Page/Home Page?

It sucks, IMHO
    Kevin Webster
    twitter: levelanalytics

Kayak Fishing
    Web Analytics and Affiliate Marketing

Quote Originally Posted by davidh View Post
    "...........It just amazes me that so many folks who have seen nothing but benefit from Google will run around acting like Google has done something to them, or as if Google "owes them more". It's absurd.
    davidh this might be the first time I disagree with your thoughts, my problem is that Google controls to much and they do infact control what 80% of the people using the internet see.

I would like to see no search engion having more then 30% of the traffic, but this is our fault that we gave Google so much power the same as we did with Microsoft.

ABW Ambassador
    Well with that, I don't think it's a matter of fault. They just came in and whipped all their competitor's butts because they have been serving up the most relevant results for many years now, that's why most people use them. And at this point, even if they slipped on that part, people will still use them because they're so ingrained.

It's like with back in the day when Coke came out with New Coke, interesting experiment. Coke users actually picked the taste of New Coke over the original in blind taste tests. But when they had both cans in front of them and could see them and pick one, they picked the original. It's something they've known for years and were comfortable with. Like Google at this point. So nobody is going to knock them out of that top spot in search.

ABW Ambassador
    Somebody might hate google. But I don't. Google has been a leader in serch engine world, it still is and will be for a long time. All I want to say is we need competion. Monopolies are dangerous.

Also, I thought Google would take a hit in the last couple years with the ISPs starting to intercept search traffic in the browser bar. Instead, since they all serve AdSense for 27 inches down the column after they intercept you, it probably actually strengthened Google.
    Kevin Webster
    twitter: levelanalytics

Kayak Fishing
    Web Analytics and Affiliate Marketing

Quote Originally Posted by davidh View Post
    "Archie, Excite, Lycos, Infoseek, AltaVista, Inktomi, Yahoo."

But where are they now?

If somebody doesn't like Google, they can block Googlebot in their robots.txt file.

It just amazes me that so many folks who have seen nothing but benefit from Google will run around acting like Google has done something to them, or as if Google "owes them more". It's absurd.
    Are you for real? Google has grown so powerful, with such a dominance over internet search, that they quite literally have the power to put any of us out of business on a whim - and they do. Regularly. Nothing but benefit? What planet do you live on? I don't think Google owes us anything more than an objective ranking algorithm and fair display of results. These days, we're not getting that.
    Daniel M. Clark
    Tech Manager
    Greg Hoffman Consulting

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast