ABW Ambassador
    Anyone else using WebHost4Life?
    WebHost4Life just migrated my accounts to a new platform and broke many of my sites. I am on day three of my classic ASP data-driven sites being down or partially broken. What a terrible feeling... Luckily I am diversified enough that my static pages are still making sales. I was wondering if anyone else is using WebHost4Life? I am thinking that I could have moved my sites to a new host and had them up and DNSs repointed by now...

Really sorry to hear this, I have a 2 hour rule if my sites are down more then 2 hours I move them to a another host (on a short term) and wait a few days after the other host is back to normal before moving them back (if I do move them back)

Maybe a cheap 1&1 windows hosting account as a short term solution.
    MERCHANTS: Start showing your coupons directly on your site, that way your shoppers will stop leaving your site looking for them!! If not then remove your Coupon Box!!

ABW Ambassador
    The main problem is moving the databases - maybe I should host the DBs at one host (or a specialty host) and host the "front ends" at a variety of other hosts?

I assume when you gave them the info to move your sites, you included all the necessary info to create and link the sites to your databases?

I moved to WiredTree.com several months back (I highly recommend them, BTW) and forgot to give them the database info on a couple of sites. They contacted me quickly when they realized the problem and we got it straightened out very quickly.

Just a thought? LOL!
    Generate more fake news.

Yes that does make it harder to move when databases are involved. I have only used SQL the last six month or so before that MS Access which was easy to move around.

Here is my "PLAN" incase my SQL Server goes down for more then three hours:

1) I design my datbase with MS Access on my workstation with all table and field defined which I keep on my workstations and on USB Drive.

2) I create the database on my host, no need to configure database

3) I use BullZip (Free Software) to copy the table and fields from my local copy of MS Access database to my hosted MYSQL Server

4) I then upload my datafiles to my new SQL Database.

5) Then I modify one file on each site that contains my connection string that is called from all other pages on my site(s).

This whole process should not take more then 30-60 min's (I hope) again it is just my plan, so far I have not had to test it out.
    MERCHANTS: Start showing your coupons directly on your site, that way your shoppers will stop leaving your site looking for them!! If not then remove your Coupon Box!!

I have Access, but I've never used it. Literally never.

I would really like to learn more about Access. Do you mean you can actually create an Access db and run it on your server? Do you need a Windows server for that?
    Generate more fake news.

ABW Ambassador
    Gary - unfortunately this was not me moving my sites. This was WebHost4Life migrating my sites to a new server platform. I think my problems come down to the support team. Some members are really great and some are, well, quite awful. My ticket was waiting for a tech for one day, the tier 2 tech had it all day yesterday - with no fix - this morning a new tech took the ticket over. Since I posted this earlier today, about half of my sites are back up just because the tech who drew my straw this morning knew what they were doing. (All along I was trying to tell them it was a simple connection string issue and they wouldn't listen - it is very frustrating to watch someone flail while your sites get dropped from search results)

kse,
    That is a very intersting idea. I like the fact that you have total control of your DB. (Heck you can carry it in your pocket!)

I think that the lesson I will carry away from this week is that I am going to move away from database-driven sites. My static pages were either unaffected or easily fixed. (All of my virutal includes broke on the new server and I had to recode to file includes) During this period - all of my static pages continued to make sales. That's the bottom line - right?

Quote Originally Posted by writerguy View Post
    I have Access, but I've never used it. Literally never.

I would really like to learn more about Access. Do you mean you can actually create an Access db and run it on your server? Do you need a Windows server for that?
    Yes I am using ms access databases on a few of my sites but I now using mysql for datafeeds etc....

Yes I think it would have to be a windows server, I use ASP so all of my host are windows.

Quote Originally Posted by CanadianDave View Post
    I think that the lesson I will carry away from this week is that I am going to move away from database-driven sites. My static pages were either unaffected or easily fixed. (All of my virutal includes broke on the new server and I had to recode to file includes) During this period - all of my static pages continued to make sales. That's the bottom line - right?
    CanadianDave do your pages use both static info as well as database data?? If so do you use: "On Error resume Next" on your pages?? I know we taked about this a few month's ago on another thread when one of my SQL database failed which cased my page not to load at all even thought database data was just 10% of the page and 90% was static.

Just a thought

ABW Ambassador
    I tried to fix one of my pages this way and the page loaded but it was still broken so I stopped. (didn't want to make things worse while WH4L worked on the problem) I try to code so that if there is no data returned from the DB nothing happens within the HTML but I didn't trap the "what if the DB connection fails" error - maybe a good thing to work on next...

Quote Originally Posted by kse View Post
    CanadianDave do your pages use both static info as well as database data?? If so do you use: "On Error resume Next" on your pages?? I know we taked about this a few month's ago on another thread when one of my SQL database failed which cased my page not to load at all even thought database data was just 10% of the page and 90% was static.

Just a thought

Quote Originally Posted by CanadianDave View Post
    ........... but I didn't trap the "what if the DB connection fails" error - maybe a good thing to work on next...
    If you ever figure out how to cover DB connection errrs please let me know!!!

Kevin..........

ABW Ambassador
    Here is a nice looking method (I have not tried it).
    http://www.coveryourasp.com/DBException2.asp

Thanks

14. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread