View Poll Results: Whats The Impact of Adsense on Affiliate Sales?

Voters
30. You may not vote on this poll
  • Adsense has had zero impact on affiliate sales

9 30.00%
  • Adsense has hurt my affiliate sales

2 6.67%
  • Adsense has helped my affiliate sales

5 16.67%
  • I can't tell if Adsense has impacted my affiliate sales

10 33.33%
  • Oh, go #$%*! yourself!

4 13.33%
    Now that Adsense has been around long enough to start gauging its impact, how has it affected affiliate sales?

This is not a question of whether is better than the other, but simply if Adsense has had any affect on affiliate sales.

ABW Ambassador
    There is no question as to whther Adsense use has an "impact" on affiliate sales. The real question is whether there is a "positive impact"; Adsense producing more $$$ per click than the affiliate programs.

In some (many) places, Adsense is the Holy Grail. In other spots, it is better left out. Gots ta do da math

More Cheesier Than Ever Cheesehead's Avatar
    It's another form of affiliate marketing so if it brings in money in places that formerly did not, it helps.

Yes, do the math.
    This World is Not My Home
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

Though I appreciate the intention of your responsees, I'm really just looking for feedback on whether Adsense has helped or hurt affiliate sales. I've got my reasons for asking this specific question.

I don't really know what effective it has had on me. I do know this, I make more money per month on adsense the any other program I belong to. When I compare the numbers re ratios and clicks it tells me that there is a hell of lot of stealing going on. I think as it stands now I would prefer all merchants to go this direction and scrap the commission.PPC is still the way to go.Better yet how about PPC less commissions,which ever is the greater. Thanks my 2 cents.

I used to have Adsense on all the pages of one of my websites. It never made a dime in affiliate sales, and only a few Adsense clicks because the ads Google fed me were not very good. That site was a waste of space on the internet.

One day I decided to do a little test. Most of my pages were content except for 3 or 4 of them. On the pages where I had affiliate links I deleted the Google ads. The website started making money almost instantly. Today it brings in ~$200 month without doing anything to it plus the clicks on Adsense from the other pages.

So you're the only one who knows whether Adsense is a good choice for your site. On one of my other site, Adsense is almost the only thing that makes me money, some clicks worth almost as much as a sale!

I personally wouldn't put Adsense on good converting pages.

Catwoman

http and a telephoto
    I make money from AdSense.
    I make money from merchants.

Both have flucuated in the past six months since I found AdSense.

I don't think there is a clear answer. I make more money now than I did 7 months ago, from all sources. I won't remove AdSense to see if aff sales increase, I think it all works together. I think that the people that click on AdSense links from my sites at least, are the people that didn't find what they wanted to buy at my site anyway.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

It all depends on the kind of site you have AND the phase of life it is in.

Never add Adsense to a catalog site. That's just stupid. Drilling holes in your own site to create leaks = go back to your day job.

But content sites are a different matter. I have one content site with pretty good numbers (2000 uniques a day - young parents and some kids) that is getting by on Adsense while I try to find a good affiliate merchant. Adsense pays the bills (plus some) to keep it going while I try to find a good complementary product to sell. Whenever I find a merchant that might do well, I drop the adsense, insert the merchant product ads and messages, and give it 3 weeks or so. If nothing happens, it's back to adsense to keep paying the bills until that ideal match comes along.
    Tom C.
    [URL=http://www.cafepress.com/simplesignshop]Simple Sign Shop[/URL]

Every day leave someone or something better than you found it.

ABW Ambassador
    You have to do some research. Google's added a CPM metric to the reporting engine, I'm seriously toying with dropping adsense from one site because of how much it isn't making.

The Media Partners bot is using more bandwidth than it's paying for. I'm already running on the ragged edge of bandwidth and close to encountering overage costs, I could use some breathing room. I would gain lots of breathing room by dropping adsense.
    Dr. Strangeweb, or how I learned how to stop worrying about SERPS and love the WOM.

We put Adsense on some content sites that simply weren't drawing any income (or clicks for that matter) from merchant programs. We had tried a number of ways to entice the visitor to click/part with their money, different merchants, etc., etc., but nothing seemed to work. Adsense paid like you wouldn't believe after we put it on the sites, so we basically removed all of the advertising/affiliate links except for Adsense. The pages look cleaner and neater, and traffic has increased some 50% since we made the changes. Time span was about four months, the sites pull average 120K-150K page views/day depending upon the day, the Adsense revenue is, ah, 'significant'.

We tested it out on other sites, but the affiliate income all but stopped so we dumped it fairly quickly.

Our experience anyways.

CodeJockey.

On low-performing affiliate pages, AdSense depresses the sales that do happen, but this is far more than made up for by the increase in revenue from AdSense. This assumes the pages have some respectable content in the first place rather than datafeed or forum pages for instance.

On high-performing affiliate pages - who would risk it?

What about adding Adsense only pages were links exist. I've got product pages, content pages, and link pages. If I seperated the product pages from the adsense pages, would this have a probability of a net positive impact?

I realize that results vary from site to site, but I'm looking for opinions.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by sweat:
    If I seperated the product pages from the adsense pages, would this have a probability of a net positive impact? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

In my opinion, yes it would.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> If I seperated the product pages from the adsense pages, would this have a probability of a net positive impact? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

More than likely.

You may also want to take in to consideration that each of the Adsense areas comes with an "Ads by Google" label unless you're a high volume site. The word Google will be an automatic draw imo...

CodeJockey.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    I've got AdSense on everything except my personal site.

These are mostly pure sales pages.

I found that for most programs, per-sale performance remained the same, and AdSense made me money on top of that. Those unconvinced by the pitch were going away anyway, and giving them an exit that pays me a *good* amount each time the turnstile turns, works nicely.

The one exception has been fine jewelry. When I put that up, it killed the few jewelry sales I was getting--Dead! It was like I'd just removed all my tracking links. It went THAT dead.

However, my AdSense earnings shot up so much that it couldn't have been a fluke (there were no channels at the time). People must pay a ridiculous fortune for AdWords in certain jewlery categories. So, the AdSense stayed, and still remains.

If the jeweler wants to be competitive they can always raise to 50% commissions

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Never add Adsense to a catalog site. That's just stupid. Drilling holes in your own site to create leaks <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Money is money. It's no less money if it comes from Google instead of CJ. If it *was* less money, like those 2c search boxes that used to be prevalent, then I'd agree with you all the way.

But I figure, as long as a visitor ends up earning me decent money, I'm not so in love with CPS/CPA that I would forego the great click fees AdSense brings. I see it as a way to make money off those 95-out-of-100 or so people who come but don't buy sheet.
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

Totally depends on how many "entry" points the site has.

I would prefer an affiliate program that has as many "Faces" as the diferring types of traffic it gets.

Each version would conver the traffic best.

Adsense income has been steadily rising ever since I joined up.

I agree that money is money. Personally, I don't care if the revenue comes from sales or clicks, just that it comes in.

A few pages make more money from sales and leads than adsense, but the extra income from adsense just makes the pages more profitable.

I think the object of AM is to make one profitable page, then make another one and so on and so on, until the total number of profitable pages becomes at least equal to what you could make from a full time job, then tweak them to get more profit - not revenue mind you but profit.

One of the truly profitable ways to max adsense is to make simple content sites - short useful info on a specific topic and have adsense links being the only viewable links to leave the site. The percentage click outs should be pretty stable so all you need to make more money is get more people to view the site at a cost of at least one cent less than you make from the overall click thru rate...i.e. you get 1,000 visitors, 100 adsense clicks, make $5, you clear 5 cents per visitor...so you could pay up to 4 cents to get incremental traffic and make more money

Adsense works

18. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread