Grandma broke her coccyx! Uncle Rico's Avatar
    Anti-Spam Plugin
    Other than Akismet, are you using any other anti-spam plugin that is working well for comments on your blog?

Askimet has worked wonderfully for the few Wordpress sites where I allow comments. (Y'know, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.)

On my personal "flying" site I currently see this number: 11,314 spams caught. Sweet.
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

Akismet has been very effective for me. On my primary bread winner it's caught 52,743 spam in just under 4 years. It's VERY rare that one gets through.
    :rankn-scp John - This is our chosen profession. This is our way. This is what we do.

It's the same for me. Akismet is the only anti-spam plugin that I have ever used and I do not really have any reason to look for another.
    But if any of the good people here is using some other plugin that works well, do tell so that I can check it out, too. It's not that I'm looking to replace akismet but it's nice to know of alternatives.
    Michelle
    Affilorama Group Ltd
    Affiliate Marketing by Affilorama | Free SEO Software by Traffic Travis

How does the Akismet work to remove spam? I have a spam problem, I am guessing this is a recommended plug in.

Akismet does the job but if you still wish to play safe, you can use a comments captcha plugin. Anyone who writes a comment, has to fill the captcha numbers/letters. That would ensure double security. There are many comment captcha plugins available but there's one specific that I used on one of my blogs. It was an excellent plugin, very easy to configure. Please let me know if you need that plugin.

However, the best is to moderate all comments...
    (Settings >>> Discussion)
    put a check on An administrator must always approve the comment.
    And uncheck Comment author must have a previously approved comment.

http and a telephoto
    I moderate all comments. Aksimet and other stuff is ok, but spam still gets through to my moderation queue.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Well, okay, there is ONE other anti-spam plugin I used to use. I've been hesitant to mention it because I and several other users started having problems with it and the plugin creator insists(insisted) there was(is) no problem.

The plugin in WP-Spam Free.

I used if for several years and it seemed to catch everything akismet might have missed.

But suddenly, about 9 months or a year ago, having WP-Spam Free installed on my blogs made it so that no one could post a comment on any of the posts. No matter who tried and from where they tried it, the comment was being blocked and throwing out some odd, awesome sounding error message.

I didn't even know that was happening until someone sent me email telling me about the problem. I checked and checked it and sure enough, subscribers, site visitors, and even the little-old-administrator -- ME -- had the same problem.

I turned off all plugins and activated them one-by-one until I found it was WP-Spam Free. Then I found several people posting the same problem at the wordpress.org forums. I even contacted the plugin creator. He and I swapped several emails and he did a lot of troubleshooting. He finally concluded there was no problem caused by his plugin. Instead, he suggested, I was simply failing to do the steps he kept telling me to resolve the issue on my blogs.

So try it at your own risk. You can look at it in the wordpress.org plugin directory.
    Generate more fake news.

I have a "captcha" plug-in, in addition to Akismet. This reduces the size of the spam queue I must review.

How about using Intense Debate? I haven't ever used Intense Debate but you could give it a try. I have seen some of the "top blogs" using Intense Debate.

http and a telephoto
    Quote Originally Posted by Adarsh View Post
    How about using Intense Debate? I haven't ever used Intense Debate but you could give it a try. I have seen some of the "top blogs" using Intense Debate.
    I don't like commenting on blogs that require me to log in from something else like I will never comment on a Blogger based blog). I don't like commenting on blogs with Intense Debate, so I wouldn't expect people to use in on my blogs.

However I don't mind using one that let's me chose what to comment from, I don't know the plugin, and will have to look. It lets me log in with my twitter, facebook or open id, so in some cases I use that.
    Deborah Carney

One thing I'd like to ask about Intense Debate. Since people can subscribe to comments, get email when anyone replies to their subscribed "post", etc, does Intense Debate collect commenter's email IDs? If they do collect email IDs, Intense Debate will be the last thing in this world I'll ever use. Same goes with Feedburner, I hate giving "my visitor's" information to third parties that may use that information for x,y,z purpose.

Quote Originally Posted by loxly View Post
    However I don't mind using one that let's me chose what to comment from, I don't know the plugin, and will have to look. It lets me log in with my twitter, facebook or open id, so in some cases I use that.
    Is it Disqus you are talking about loxly?
    By the way, intense debate has the option of using OpenID and other options to post comment.

Quote Originally Posted by loxly View Post
    I don't like commenting on blogs that require me to log in from something else like I will never comment on a Blogger based blog). I don't like commenting on blogs with Intense Debate, so I wouldn't expect people to use in on my blogs.

I agree -- I won't force my visitors to register on MY site, much less require them to register on some other site. I'm also reluctant to have "my" comments hosted on someone else's server.

I follow a couple of Blogger blogs that have great content and are really well written. I'd love to let the authors know but I refuse to log in be able to comment. I figure that no matter how good your content, if you choose to use a free service instead of ponying up the few bucks to host it yourself, then you lose out on finding out what people think.
    :rankn-scp John - This is our chosen profession. This is our way. This is what we do.

http and a telephoto
    Quote Originally Posted by JCSupSvc View Post
    I follow a couple of Blogger blogs that have great content and are really well written. I'd love to let the authors know but I refuse to log in be able to comment. I figure that no matter how good your content, if you choose to use a free service instead of ponying up the few bucks to host it yourself, then you lose out on finding out what people think.
    I agree with this on a number of levels. One being that I can't for the life of me log into my Blogger account in about 2 years since they made the switch to connect to a google account. I did the connect and they screwed up somewhere. Something like Billy Kay's problem where he can't log into his own YouTube account now.

Disqus I think I can use to comment on people's blogs, Intense Debate I gave up on. I don't like plugins that make me go through extra steps. I would rather just have my comments moderated until they are approved. I don't spam so I don't mind the wait, and sometimes I just want the blog writer to see my comments, so if they don't get approved, not a problem.
    Deborah Carney

any body who can teach an help me?
    hello,

any body here can help me how to put anti spam plugin into my site?

thanks
    Kelvin

I never thought to use any other ani-spammer as Akismet is working well for me

i want to install scripts in my new website can any one help me out. i have the scripts of plugins. i want to put that plugin in my new web site. its webcam plugin. can any 1 help me.?

Quote Originally Posted by markwelch View Post
    I have a "captcha" plug-in, in addition to Akismet. This reduces the size of the spam queue I must review.
    While a "captcha plug-in" might reduce the time of spam review, could such a "hoop" also be a barrier to insightful commentary?
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

SI CAPTCHA Anti-Spam works great with Akismet. They should go hand in hand for best spam protection.

Akismet is the best anti spam plugin, there are many plugins but this is the most famous and common plugin used. Akismet is wounderful.

23. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread