Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Demise of the Big 12 and Other NCAA News
    Don't we have football fans here? Can't believe no one is talking about what's going on.

Colorado bolts to the Pac-10. Nebraska is all but going to the Big Ten. Mizzou will probably follow. Potential move of Texas/A&M/Tech, Oklahoma/State to the Pac-10 (Pac-16? power conference). Leaves the Nobody 4 in the all but dead Big 12.

USC handed 2 year post-season ban, loss of scholarships, forfeiture of wins (potential loss of BCS championship, potential loss of Bush's Heisman).

P.S.: Lord, please keep the Thugicanes out of the SEC!

Shawn Kerr (.com) | Disney World | SEC Football

Super Dawg Member Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    I've written extensively for two years on my sports blog about the criminal enterprise that is the university of spoiled children athletic department. I've been monitoring the info since last evening. I'm now waiting for the official report to show up online so I can quote from it, but the little detail that ESPN TV gave out was that the findings specifically state total lack of institutional oversight including the welcoming on campus by sports department personnel of disreputable characters who lavished improper benefits on "student" athletes.

Three sports programs have been sanctioned today, and there are other violations and improper activity that has yet to be investigated.

As I wrote at the time, pete carroll took the money and ran to Seattle NOT for the money, not for a new challenge, not just because the NCAA was closing in, but because he had previously refused to appear at depositions and had just been ordered to appear by the Court to give deposition testimony in two separate civil cases: 1) The civil suit against reggie bush for return of the hundreds of thousands of dollars that he and his family had in effect stolen from the agent that had provided all of the illegal benefits and with whom bush then did not sign, in breach of their agreement, and 2) in the civil suit for millions of dollars in damages brought by the man critically injured by former assistant coach Dave Watson who previously plead guilty to felony DUI, admitting that he was addicted to painkillers and other meds, was provided thousands of pills by sc football team physicians and provided an sc auto whch he used to maim an innocent bystander, all under the watchful eye of petey.
    ______

The PAC-TEN does not need Big 12 rejects, especially a school like Colorado which yesterday was sanctioned as one of only two BCS schools in the country to FAIL the NCAA Academic Progress Rate standards.

The development of super conferences will mean the demise of the NCAA, to the detriment of college sports. A few such conference will write their own rules, probably flaunt them worse than they do now, and lead to trojan and cane abuses far worse than we have seen.
    Since June 10, 2012 a vegan aarf but still writing the Hound Dawg Sports Blog
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;
    "Raj, there’s no place for truth on the internet." -Howard Wolowitz[/SIZE]

Just found the report:

UNIVERSITY OF SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA PUBLIC INFRACTIONS REPORT June 10, 2010

It's 67 pages!
    Attached Files Attached Files
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;

Well, as an avid KU fan I don't really know what to think. I'm sad to see schools that have been my rivals go away...it was weird enough when we brought the Texas teams into the Big 8. Can't imagine a season where we don't play Mizzou, Nebraska, or OU.

In some ways I don't understand why some schools are better candidates than others to move. (Nebraska was a powerhouse in their day but not any more....I guess the appeal is that their fan base is RABID....they travel, and they donate money) (Mizzou doesn't really have any tradition to speak of athletically...occasionally they have a good basketball team and then just recently their football team got some attention...but not a tradition of it) (Colorado went to the Pac-10...again, they just failed an academic standards issue and they are no longer the football enterprise that they used to be...they've never excelled at basketball) And anytime I hear people talk about it they only mention Football. (and the TV contracts that come with it) I guess that would be why KU hasn't been courted. Our basketball program is top-notch but we have never sustained any winning tradition in football.

For the most part I'm just going to wait for it to happen and let the smoke clear before I try to figure it out. All I know is that this has nothing to do with actual athletics...or even academics as some try to say....it is all about "the Benjamins"

Sheri

Yeah, I hate all the conference shifting going on right now. I mean, really, why call yourself the "PAC-anything" if you have Texas and Oklahoma in the conference along with Oregon and Washington??

And, wow, one of the biggest rivalries most years in college football in the central region of the U.S. has always been Oklahoma and Nebraska. So what happens to that and all the other great rivalries??

Bleck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Generate more fake news.

Sheri said it all in her last sentence. Money controls it. I can understand the Big Ten's reason to add at least 1 more school and make 12 -- allows for a conference championship (which equals more revenue). But they may expand beyond 12 (depending on what happens with the Big East).

The Big Ten and SEC have far more lucrative television deals than does the Big 12. The Big Ten has their own television network and the SEC has a big deal with ESPN.

Tradition and rivalries take a backseat in today's day and age to the dollar bill.

I know the SEC's time will come for a decision on what to do (nobody is really going to go anywhere, but teams may be added - some I can tolerate, some I will protest with every last breath I take). A couple I could tolerate leaving and just replacing.

And I agree with AH, I believe this will end up with an entire new sanctioning body once all the power conferences get squared away.

Boise State to move from WAC to Mountain West.

Affiliate Manager Matt McWilliams's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mobilebadboy View Post
    Boise State to move from WAC to Mountain West.
    That just earned the MWC BCS status. Congrats to them.

Presuming that the Big 12 dissolves and the Pac-whatever or Big Ten-11-12-16 does not get two bids to the BCS and the SEC does or does not and then the ACC and the Big Used to be East...crap what was I saying?

Geesh!
    Matt McWilliams
    Call Me At: (317) 825-8826 | Follow Me On Twitter: @MattMcWilliams2 | Connect With Me On LinkedIn

Quote Originally Posted by Matt McWilliams View Post
    Presuming that the Big 12 dissolves and the Pac-whatever or Big Ten-11-12-16 does not get two bids to the BCS and the SEC does or does not and then the ACC and the Big Used to be East...crap what was I saying?

Geesh!
    exactly

nothing but trouble is brewing - big is not better

bring back the pacific coast conference, maybe the southwest conf and the big eight

Affiliate Manager Matt McWilliams's Avatar
    Nebraska just accepted an offer to join the Big Ten officially.

What's next really is anyone's guess.

Texas etc. to the Pac Ten?

Texas A&M to the SEC?

Oklahoma and OK state where?

Kansas/K State?

Big 12 stays with ten for a while? Adds TCU, Utah, Memphis or Houston?

SEC expands?
    Matt McWilliams
    Call Me At: (317) 825-8826 | Follow Me On Twitter: @MattMcWilliams2 | Connect With Me On LinkedIn

supposedly Texas, Texas A&M, Texas Tech, Oklahoma, Oklahoma St and Colorado all to the Pac-16

The SEC is being pretty quiet but you can bet they're not going to sit idle while all this is going on. Some of the rumored teams to the SEC are Florida State, Texas A&M (if they don't do what the rest of the Big 12 does), Clemson, Georgia Tech, Virginia Tech and Miami. Though nothing anywhere close to concrete.

Even talks about splitting Alabama and Auburn out of the same division (Ala stays in West, Auburn moves to East) if an expansion happens. But it would really depend on the teams picked up.

Affiliate Manager
    So now the Big 10 has 12 teams and the Big 12 has 10 teams....

...and as of now, the Pac 10 has 11 teams (schools, actually)

Affiliate Manager
    The Big Ten has 13 schools now actually. University of Chicago is a member but they don't participate in athletics.

If the Big Ten was really thinking outside the box they'd make a run at the University of Toronto. They don't play football now but with the money we're talking, they could be up and running pretty quickly and the cash generated by being the only Canadian school in a BCS conference would probably be immense. They're in the AAU, have good academics, obviously a big city, and could lead to an official Big Ten hockey conference to help feed the monster that is the Big Ten Network.

Bob

I don't know a whole lot about Canadian universities, but I do know that York University, also in Toronto, is one of Canada's largest any most prestigious universities. Now, if they both came into the Big (Fill in number of your choice), then there would be an instant rivalry, and it would make BB road trips more economic, especially with customs issues.

Once the blood and guts are hosed off the football byways, and flowing through the sewers of burned-out conference presidents and academic-minded former athletic directors, the silver lining of an actual football playoff system may come shining through.

naw

Just a word to all you Nebraska fans...WELCOME TO THE BIG #.
    :rankn-scp John - This is our chosen profession. This is our way. This is what we do.

Personally, I think 4 Super Conference are in the works. The new PAC Whatever, the new Big Whatever, the new SEC and the new ACC. I think this is just the beginning of the end of the Big 12 and Big East.

With 4 Super Conferences, the BCS can have a very simple 4 team playoff, which was as high as they were willing to go anyway.

The new PAC Something vs the new Big Something play for a Midwest/West Champion.

The new SEC and new ACC play for a Southeast/East Champion.

The two winners (East vs West) play for the National Championship.

It was probably the closest thing to a playoff we were ever going to get anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowfinch View Post
    Personally, I think 4 Super Conference are in the works. The new PAC Whatever, the new Big Whatever, the new SEC and the new ACC. I think this is just the beginning of the end of the Big 12 and Big East.

With 4 Super Conferences, the BCS can have a very simple 4 team playoff, which was as high as they were willing to go anyway.

The new PAC Something vs the new Big Something play for a Midwest/West Champion.

The new SEC and new ACC play for a Southeast/East Champion.

The two winners (East vs West) play for the National Championship.

It was probably the closest thing to a playoff we were ever going to get anyway.
    Where does that leave a potential 11-0 Boise St., Utah, or BYU, of the "new" Mountain West Conference?

AffiliateHound - That is great question. I have actually thought about that a lot.

Sadly, I think maybe settling for an undefeated season, without any real hope of a National Title.

Though, we might not have to look any further than College Basketball for an answer.

In College Basketball, we have the "March Madness" National Champions and then the NIT Champions.

The MWC and other non-Super Conferences may have a sort of secondary championship option. (Similar to the NIT.)

Not sure. Money is behind most, if not all of this, so, I think they'll try anything to bring in a little extra cash.

I have never been a fan of Pete Carroll. Nor did I think Reggie Bush deserved the Heisman the year ESPN dedicated every free moment of the season to ensure he won it. However, I do find it sad that innocent players must now pay for the "sins of the father" (Mr. Pete), while he bolts to the NFL to "hide".

They will probably take away the BCS Championship from USC and history will show no BCS National Champion for that year. However, USC did play Oklahoma and rightfull the Sooners should get the Title, if USC has it taken away.

Plus, I'll be able to do a killing selling Sooner National Championship Gear. Though, about 5 years late. LOL! I am sure some fans will still want to buy it.

Noles to SEC, I doubt it (for now)
    As a lifelong booster, season ticket holder and friend of many FSU former stars (and one of the current coaches), I do not believe that, at this time, the Noles leave the ACC for the SEC. However, depending what happens with the PAC 10 could make an impact. Let's be real though (yes, I am a newbie so sorry for causes trouble ;-), the PAC16 would still win as many championships as it has, which is not many lately compared to the SEC. It's hard enough to win the SEC now, imagine what it would be like if they added my Noles (well, not the last decade...we have sucked...but are rebounding) and the Canes. That would simply be CRAZY. I'd take the state of Florida's strength and speed over the Big 10 for sure any day...and the PAC16.

Just mixing it up.

ABW Ambassador
    "AUSTIN, Texas -- Texas, Texas Tech, Oklahoma and Oklahoma State will join the Pac-10 Conference when a formal offer is made, a source told ESPN's Joe Schad on Friday."

This is all stupid. Anyways, go Irish

Here is THE definitive article on the arrogance and blatant disregard of rules under the leadership of AD Mike Garrett: USC turned a blind eye by Arash Markazi (a usc grad who covers the Lakers for ESPNLosAngeles.com, and who attended sc during the bush-mayo years)
    _______

Also from ESPN this morning:

Texas A&M - previously believed set for the PAC (Insert number of your choice here), now is also looking at the SEC, and that Kansas and Missouri are considering the Mountain West.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast