Today, I wanted to buy a few items online. I found a merchant who had them, they are at CJ. I added the items to my cart and went to the checkout page. There wasn't a secure connection, in spite of the VeriSign certification on the page.

I clicked to verify the certificate, and it had expired - IN JANUARY! OK...moving right along, no need to shop with that merchant!

I found the identical items at another merchant, no affiliate program that I could see, and added them to the cart. The items came to a total of $25 and change, and they wanted $13 for shipping. These are small, lightweight, can't be damaged in shipping. Should fit in a small box, couldn't weigh even a pound. Why so much to ship?

I didn't order from either one, and decided to end my search out of frustration. I wonder how often this happens to shoppers who register a click and don't convert? I think I now know 2 good reasons why people don't always buy online.

Andy

Affiliate/AM Moonlighter dflsports's Avatar
    I feel your pain! I tried a few months ago to buy something, tried one store, terrible checkout system. Tried a second, bought the item, only to find it was not in stock, had to wait 3 weeks to get the item.

I have found that shipping charges are OUTRAGEOUS to say the least with most merchants even within the US, whether they have an affiliate program or not. And it gets totally out of control for items shipped to Canada from the US. Sometimes shipping fees are MORE than the items you want to buy. Well guess what? People are going elsewhere!

Some merchants have an insanely high flat shipping fee regardless of what you buy. You can buy a pen or a computer and shipping will be the same amount for either item. RIDICULOUS! It makes me wonder how they sell anything at all.

Even with the convenience of shopping online from the comfort of home, getting into your car to go to the store to buy what you want at a decent price without having to pay ridiculous charges to have it shipped to you, is well worth the time and effort it takes to make the trip. Convenience isn't worth THAT much!

If WE see it that way, I can only imagine what casual surfers think when they see those prices.

As for the non-secure site, you wouldn't believe how many people don't even know about this. A lot of people I've come across who buy online but not on a regular basis had never even heard of a secure site for their transactions. They had no idea there was a difference between http and https, and many had never even noticed it.

But for those who DO know, they will never buy from a non-secure site. I wouldn't.

Catwoman

ABW Ambassador
    It's why people love Amazon and free shipping is the #1 incentive shoppers like/look for.

June's purchases were simple and fast.

Bought 10 solar powered lights @29.00 per lamp.

A mail box for $155.00

One pond liner for $50.00

All transactions were real simple and fast. No Tax,and received the stuff with-in a week.

Love buying on-line.
    www.joeytomatoes.com :: Day Care For Your Brain

Shipping charges are a huge factor to consider when choosing merchants. In addition, those merchants who don't understand the importance of cheap shipping usually miss in several other areas, too.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

I reported the site with the expired certificate to the certificate issuer. They have logos all over the place indicating it's secure, so you'd almost think they were legitimate. I also noticed the name on the certificate didn't match the site name, and it wasn't one of those generic certificates provided by some hosts.

Andy

The slot machine that IS paid! Billy Kay's Avatar
    Andy,

One of my Linkshare merchants sells Iron-On clothes labels (This shirt belongs to little Tommy).

They arrive in a small white envelope - with a 39 cents stamp.

Yet, they charge $8.95 shipping and handling!!

A day doesn't go by that I don't get 5 angry emails calling ME every name in the book. Hey! Tell the merchant, not me!

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Usually I love shopping online. It saves me a trip and shipping is cheap if you know where to shop...

But last week I decided to buy a toaster. I went to Amazon since I knew they had a kitchen dept. and free shipping. But they only had bottom-of-the-line models--and super expensive (over $300!) ones!! No midrange. The other places I checked had the same type of thing going, only some had less selection.

I ended up going to K-Mart to find what I was looking for--a fairly cheap, but not rock-bottom, model.

If these broad-range merchants don't have a decent selection of any particular product line, I think they would do better by narrowing their focus. It's sad when a limping-along bricks-n-mortar store like K-Mart can beat the online selection, especially since Amazon's got multiple warehouses they can ship from, yet KMart only has room for what will fit in that one store.
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

Buying online saves me time and sometimes money. But the quality of what I get is so much better.

I also feel that online merchants are not aiming at the low price end of the buying public. They want the mid to high end buying public. Same ones that the catalog crowd wants. Online buying is great when you want something special or different.

Retailers still rule at providing everyday products. Wal-mart is still king.
    Luke
    Have you promoted your brand name today?

It's hard to find items in the stores. You save a lot more (even with shipping) and saves time shopping online.
    [url=http://www.onlinemarts.com][b]Online shopping deals Free Coupons[/b][/url]

12. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread