Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Affiliate Summit for First Timers
    I did some searching on ABW and on the web on this topic but didn't find what I was looking for. Iím getting the opportunity to attend the Summit courtesy of the wonderful folks at Buy.at (thank you again!). I had some questions on what to expect at the Summit and I thought others might as well. I've been to lots of conferences in real estate but I'm not sure how the Summit is the same or differs. Please, add any additional questions / comments that I might have missed

Dress
    Iím assuming business casual would be fine? Or do I need to get my suits pressed?

Identity
    In my short time in IM, Iíve noticed some IMíers like to remain anonymous and some freely give their name / websites. I have so far chosen the anonymous route on ABW (more because I can always let everyone who I was at a later time). Now, at these conferences, what do other anonymous people do (anonymous might not be the best word but English was never my best subject!). Do you register under a corporate name? Obviously, when talking to a merchant or network, you state who you are, but what about other IMíers?

Newcomers Program
    I noticed a newcomers program which seemed great. Has anyone participated in it in the past? Just wondering if it would be worth it?

Other Gatherings / Networking Events
    Are there other gatherings outside of the Summit agenda? This is always big at real estate conferences so just wondering if there is anything I should be attending to network.

What to Bring Along
    Do I need to bring a briefcase / notepad / pens to take notes? Laptop? Just wondering what others bring with them.

I hope others find this helpful as well. And if itís been stated before, I apologize!

http and a telephoto
    Keep an eye on the Affiliate Summit blog and their forum here. The parties - er, newtworking events - get posted, both official and not-so official.

Dress: Business Casual. Suits are not in abundance

Name: You have to give AS your real name when you register. It's up to you to tell people your online "handles" if you so choose.

Newcomers program: essential to sign up for

Bring: You will see people with all of the above that you mentioned.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Quote Originally Posted by loxly View Post
    "handles"
    That's the word I was looking for. Thanks for your suggestions!

You'll probably see more people wearing jeans and t-shirts than suits. Business casual is certainly the norm though. Wear comfortable shoes.

Bring business cards to exchange or to use for prize drawings.

I prefer to carry as little as possible during the event. You'll get an Affiliate Summit bag that you can put things in. (You'll get a lot of business cards, flyers, booth giveaways, etc.) I usually make one or two trips a day to the room to empty mine.

If you can come in on Saturday, ABW is planning an event Saturday night. Saturday, Sunday and Monday night is always PACKED with networking events.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelColey View Post
    Bring business cards to exchange or to use for prize drawings.
    Great tip! That's something I never thought of. I guess I'll have to order some before the conference!

Between Deb and Michael, you've just been told everything you need to know about Summit. I'll only reiterate that doing the Newcomers program is a major, major benefit. I've only ever heard great feedback from people that have participated in it.
    Daniel M. Clark
    Tech Manager
    Greg Hoffman Consulting

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel M. Clark View Post
    Between Deb and Michael, you've just been told everything you need to know about Summit.
    I bet there are still a lot of other helpful tips that people can share. This is just the tip of the iceberg.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Oh sure, but I mean, as far as the basics... you guys pretty much nailed it.

Here's something: make good use of the scheduling tools that Summit offers. You can plan your days (and a couple of the evenings) so you know where to be and when, depending on your interests. It hasn't been updated for New York yet, but you can see what it was all about for Vegas back in January.
    Daniel M. Clark
    Tech Manager
    Greg Hoffman Consulting

Affiliate Summit Guy Shawn Collins's Avatar
    On the Sunday morning of Affiliate Summit, I'll be giving a "First Timer's Guide" session for any attendees that wish to attend.
    Affiliate Summit - Las Vegas on January 10-12, 2016

Looking forward to it Shawn

Congratz on winning one of the buy.at passes. Since this is your first Summit you will likely remember it forever. My first was in Miami in 2007 and I have missed only one since then; and, by coincidence, put a photo from that conference hotel online just this morning.

Dress? Yep, have to agree with business casual. Usually the people who "think" they are important wear the suits. The people who "are" important, the affiliates, are the most casual. Comfortable shoes are a MUST. Let me repeat that, Comfortable shoes are a MUST.

If you can get a couple of polo shirts made and printed with one of your website names it may provide a bit of advertising value may occasionally serve as a conversation starter. Those shirts are also a tax deductible item - and they are comfortable.

Business cards. Great for networking events and, as mentioned, for entry into drawings (which, of course, is prospect gathering tool for the ones holding the drawings). I was lucky at AffSum in Boston two summers ago, winning a shiny black 80GB iPod - and in Vegas last winter, winning a HiDef Flip Video Camera.

One "tip" with the cards. If you make your address slightly "unique" (by adding something, like "Ste. 2") and by creating a unique email you will be able to track any contact that comes from being at Summit.

Enjoy the experience and, by all means, take Shawn up on his offer of that familiarization session.
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

Great info guys! I will be attending for the first time and am looking forward to it. The ThinkTank was my first affiliate event and has me pretty stoked for the Summit. I was told many times that I needed to attend it. Unfortunately I missed the AS West. Looking forward to NYC.
    J. Duffield Affiliate Manager at Snow Consulting
    Let's Connect-PassTheSEO|#GSEG|Twitter|LinkedIn|Blog "Knowledge is Power."

Me too, really looking forward to this! Haven't heard anything about the newcomer program though, are you guys in it? I registered in time, but never heard back.

Affiliate Network Rep Kim Salvino's Avatar
    Before the Newcomers Program existed, I was very lucky to have some ABW veterans take me under their wing at the first Summit I attended alone, and I was beyond grateful!

lintlin, if you need someone, I'd be happy for you to join my mentee and I at the meetup for the program on Sunday. Feel free to email me direct and we'll set up a time to meet if you can't make Sunday.

Bill is right that your first Summit will be memorable. It can also be overwhelming as there are a lot of people and a lot of things going on, but the best advice is to introduce yourself to whomever you run into - yiou never know who you will meet in the elevator, hallway or Starbucks!!
    Kim Salvino, Client Services Director, Performance Horizon Group
    Reach me at kim.salvino(at)performancehorizon.com or on (443) 617-4036

Looking forward to a great show this will be our first time exhibiting so i encourage all to stop by.
    Mike Pacheco
    President/Ceo, [URL="http://www.ndemandaffiliates.com"]NDemand Affiliates[/URL]
    Office: 877-767-3311 ext. 8, Cell: 405-618-3559, Fax: 405-242-5067, AIM: Mikepceo , Skype: Mikepceo

Thanks so much for the offer, Kim. Seems I missed a mail from the newcomer program, Jen's been in contact with me and I think we're getting it sorted out.

Everyone here is so nice, it's like family!

Quote Originally Posted by lintlin View Post
    Thanks so much for the offer, Kim. Seems I missed a mail from the newcomer program, Jen's been in contact with me and I think we're getting it sorted out.

Everyone here is so nice, it's like family!
    Just like family - just wait 'til you meet some of those folks in person. I still remember when we first met ABW folks (Miami, 2007). Kim and others helped make us feel right at home.
    I know Jill and I are eager to meet you in person - only a little over a week away.
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

http and a telephoto
    I'm an informal mentor to many, and am not in the "official" newcomers program due to other time commitments (setting up two meet market tables for merchants we manage) during newcomer activities, but Vinny and I will be at the Sunday evening Newcomer get together.

We'll also be at the ABW dinner Saturday, *please* be sure to find us and say hi. And it's totally ok to come interrupt us if we are talking to other folks. We are always talking, and it's always ok to join the conversation
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Just in case someone doesn't know about it, there's an interactive scheduler here:

http://ase10.sched.org/

Also, I couldn't figure out how to export it to outlook? Anyone know if its possible?

Affiliate Summit Guy Shawn Collins's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gcarson View Post
    Just in case someone doesn't know about it, there's an interactive scheduler here:

http://ase10.sched.org/

Also, I couldn't figure out how to export it to outlook? Anyone know if its possible?
    Go to http://ase10.sched.org/help for information on exporting to Outlook.
    Affiliate Summit - Las Vegas on January 10-12, 2016

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Collins View Post
    Go to http://ase10.sched.org/help for information on exporting to Outlook.
    Great thanks. Although I already hand typed mine in .

Hopefully it will help someone else!

Affiliate Marketing Consultant Andy Rodriguez's Avatar
    We'll also be at the ABW dinner Saturday, *please* be sure to find us and say hi. And it's totally ok to come interrupt us if we are talking to other folks. We are always talking, and it's always ok to join the conversation
    Ditto, we are sponsoring the ABW get together as well, we will have 4 team members there, dont be shy, even though i may "look mean", I dont bite .. and no, i don't ride a motorcycle, peddle is my game
    Andy Rodriguez Consulting, Affiliate Program Management and Consulting Services, Since 2001
    www.andyrodriguez.com | E: abw@andyrodriguez.com | P: (888) 931-ANDY (2639) | Skype: affiliatedoctor | AIM & MSN: AffiliateDoctor | Subscribe To Our ABW Forum Posts | Follow me on Twitter | Join Our Affiliate Programs

Andy.. is the dinner the same thing as the ABW Reception from 6-8? I think I'm going to sign up for that. Or is the dinner something different?

Affiliate Marketing Consultant Andy Rodriguez's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gcarson View Post
    Andy.. is the dinner the same thing as the ABW Reception from 6-8? I think I'm going to sign up for that. Or is the dinner something different?
    Same thing buddy, call it what you may, its the best family gathering in NYC this weekend ...
    Andy Rodriguez Consulting, Affiliate Program Management and Consulting Services, Since 2001
    www.andyrodriguez.com | E: abw@andyrodriguez.com | P: (888) 931-ANDY (2639) | Skype: affiliatedoctor | AIM & MSN: AffiliateDoctor | Subscribe To Our ABW Forum Posts | Follow me on Twitter | Join Our Affiliate Programs

Thanks for all the great info in this thread. As suggested in Shawn's First Timers Guide powerpoint, I'm putting together my game plan.

I see there are a lot of activities that go on during the Summit, most of which overlap with each other (Meet Market, Educational Sessions, Exhibit Hall, Affiliate Showcase, Vertical Exchange, Ask the Experts).

I'm willing to bet the answer to my question is "It depends", but I'll ask anyways. What would be the best areas for me to spend my time?

My first thought was to go to the educational sessions that really interested me, and spend the rest of the time in the Meet Market/Exhibit Hall, but I would love to have the advice from all of your experience.

Thanks for the help!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast