I don't know if this will have any bearing on the thieving parasites but Microsoft have just anounced something on television about the new windows security and it will prevent hacking. I could not hear what was being said properly and I missed most of it maybe someone here heard it in more detail.
    One day parasites and their ilk will be made illegal, I bet a few Lawyers will be pissed off when the day comes.
    Mr. Spitzer is fetching it nearer

YouTrek

See http://www.webmasterworld.com/forum21/8263.htm

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Microsoft has published a list of the changes made to IE in XP Service Pack 2 that may affect web pages that use certain features. The full article can be found here:
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/security/d...l/xpsp2web.asp
    You should be concerned if you use:
    - ActiveX controls: the modal dialog will no longer popup automatically. Users must specifically click on the pageholder to install controls
    - Downloadable Files: The file download ability can only be initiated by a user click. Pages that say "your download will begin in 10 seconds" and have an ad before launching the file will now fail.
    - Popup Windows: These may now only be initiated by a user action, not automatically, and only one popup will be created based on that user action... so a popup cannot spawn a popup, even if the original was spawned by a click.
    - MS Java Virtual Machine: This is no longer distributed. You should direct your users to java.sun.com.
    - Browser Windows Alterations: You can no longer do a fullscreen window, it will only launch a maximized window. You can no longer move the statusbar, titlebar or toolbar off of the visible screen. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Thank you Michael that was very helpful. From my reading it sounds like a good thing for us affiliates.
    One day parasites and their ilk will be made illegal, I bet a few Lawyers will be pissed off when the day comes.
    Mr. Spitzer is fetching it nearer

YouTrek

Wonderful news, that should help with the bull hockey 180 drive-bys

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> it will prevent hacking. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

They said *what?* Oh, no...

I say "oh no" because EVERY time some company claims something like that, it becomes a Mission of hackers to prove the claim wrong. It probably won't be but a few days after release when the first XP SP2 virus hits the Net.

Other than that, it sounds like it'll make a lot of things better from a user's perspective. And it's good that it'll put a big roadblock in the way of parasites.

But it's a total POS from the perspective of making money off of popups/unders, though. It looks like RIP for pops, at least until someone codes around this interference.

Overall, the new pack may be good, but I don't think it'll be a permanent cure-all. I see it more of as an arms race where the advantage is constantly shifting back and forth. If MS is egotistical enough to think they can "prevent hacking," then they probably are going to be blindsided WHEN some people figure out how to outcode the changes. I say WHEN because programmers seem to delight in outcoding each other and someone always manages to do it no matter what types of scripts are involved.
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

ABW Ambassador
    July 13, 2004

Hi!

"then they probably are going to be blindsided WHEN some people figure out how to outcode the changes"

Leader identified the eternal
    malware/parasiteware problem
    in the above quote from his post.

The problem is not only software technology
    but human nature. Some people get their
    satisfaction breaking into other peoples computers and stealing (i.e., parasitewate).

RadarCat
    http://www.os2warplinks.com

7. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread