Question old article brings in MANY visitors, how to update it?
    hello everybody

i have a dilemma that i guess others have, and i would like to get your input on this -hopefully will be helpful for everybody.

I have done an article last year on my website (best blah blah blah 2009) and i published a reduced version on it on an article website. The article website version has been picked up by a lot of other websites (really a lot) and the links to my original article spiked so much that they actually are 70% of my total visits (this article represents thousands visitors a month).

the problem is that the article is "best bla bla of 2009" and it's slowly but clearly losing traction, and the product there is now outdated.

I would really much like to "refresh this" so that a) i still get people visiting b)when they visit, they see an updated product

the article is general (solution to a problem) but the product is 2009 specific - that's why 2009 in the title.

now i would like to update the article, but i believe the only way is creating a new one "best bla bla of 2010" and start over, but the chances of repeating such a success look little.

maybe in the future i should avoid including a timeframe in a title, but for now... how would you go about keeping your traffic and switching it to a more recent content?

i assume i could automatically redirect people to a 2010 page, but still.... the article is called 2009 and will slowly get outdated.

any suggestion? anybody has (had) a similar problem?

thank you all

http and a telephoto
    1. Put a clear link above the title of the article on your site that goes to the new content that you want to direct people to.

2. Have ads around the 2009 article that are relevant but new products.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

gonna learn a lot
    Great question. Helpful answer. I am just scanning all the different forums for knowledge and I can tell I am going to learn A LOT!

Quote Originally Posted by loxly View Post
    1. Put a clear link above the title of the article on your site that goes to the new content that you want to direct people to.

2. Have ads around the 2009 article that are relevant but new products.
    Thank you for your answer !

Both these solutions might help, but the problem is that the traffic will slow down until it will stop, when people will start googling and when they find my article they will say "oh nice, but that's for 2009, better look somewhere else"

that is my fear

You could always write an updated version of the article, put it on a new page, then create a 301 redirect from the current page.
    Daniel M. Clark
    Tech Manager
    Greg Hoffman Consulting

6. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread