By labor, I mean, writing text, collecting text, research, and other text-based labor as well as managing your software or promotions.

Troll Killer and best Snooper!
    I decide when the pigs fly!
    Are you addressing this question to people who hire staff and freelancers, or AMs who work on their own?

ABW Ambassador
    Here to advertise 3rd world slave labour? LOL

ABW Ambassador
    My labor costs whatever I earn. I'm a one man operation.
    Dr. Strangeweb, or how I learned how to stop worrying about SERPS and love the WOM.

This question relates to the one metric everyone overlooks and or forgets about.

The federal minumum wage is $5.50/hr. That's the key figure to go by for the simple reason that $5.50/hr is the minimum amount you can make doinoney you something else.

If you work 2 hours a day on your site, you need to make $11.00/day to offset the make in the outside labor market. That's $330 per month.

Are you making that amount in AM for your 2 hours work per day? Or even half that amount if you consider the transportation and ancillary expenses of going outside the home.

If you plug in the normal 40 hour work week, you need to make $440/week from AM to be come out even with a real worst case job.

Now I understand there are 'quality of life' issues, but hard metrics are how you do business.

As for counting the labor as what you earn, it's just half the answer. What could you make worst case doing something else.

Fortunately when you put in an hour of work you will get paid for an infinate amount of "hours". Find me a job offering that kind of reward.

ABW Ambassador
    I'd also like to add: content moochers will give back in the form of forum posts.

That doesn't cost a thing, save for bandwidth.
    Dr. Strangeweb, or how I learned how to stop worrying about SERPS and love the WOM.

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> The federal minumum wage is $5.50/hr. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    Are you kidding or serious??????

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by SamyT:
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> The federal minumum wage is $5.50/hr. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    Are you kidding or serious?????? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Serious. Are you surprised?

ABW Ambassador
    Yeah!! Ours is about $8.20 in US Dollars!

ABW Ambassador
    Most full time jobs in my city will pay at least $7. (Flip side: average rent is somewhere around $325, well within the range of most working folks.)

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> If you plug in the normal 40 hour work week, you need to make $440/week from AM to be come out even with a real worst case job.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It looks like you need a link to a calculator. 40 * 5.50 = $220!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> What could you make worst case doing something else. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

After having real freedom? About $10 before I told them to lump it. How long a j*b would last is an important part of the calculation.

My biggest site's probably eaten up around 21 hours of time so far this year with upd*tes. That'd be $115 at min. wage. Without going into specifics, I will say that $115 is seriously peanuts compared to what that site has generated.

I doubt I've spent over 200 hours this year across the board doing actual work (typing, site design, that kind of thing).

But I'm not counting time spent *thinking about* what to do and how to do it. On a "regular job" you don't get paid for thinking about the place, therefore I'm not including that in the hours-w*rked calculation.

But I will say that it's the THINKING that makes the money in this business. Actually Implementing the thoughts is usually just a clerical exercise that doesn't take a heck of a lot of time.
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

Ack, you're right...even worse than I thought.

See what happens whe you only get born with 20 digits.

As long as you know the costs, then the rest is easy as Leader says.

In Leaders case

Revenue less $115 in per hour labor cost = Gross Profit less Advertising = NO NEED FOR NO JOB.

I think that's the goal as far as I can tell.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> On a "regular job" you don't get paid for thinking about the place, therefore I'm not including that in the hours-w*rked calculation.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Really?

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by phillyBurbs.com:
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> On a "regular job" you don't get paid for thinking about the place, therefore I'm not including that in the hours-w*rked calculation.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Really? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, really!

"What you do on your off-time is your business, but when you're here you'd better be doing your job..." is the typical song of the employer. And to back it up, when the clock is punched at the end of the day, the pay STOPS like a train hitting the end of the line!

And you'd better not spend too much time thinking instead of mindlessly "Doing" on a regular hourly job, either! Thinking is for the upper management. Peons are generally just supposed to be bio-robots who carry out orders.

Ask any hourly employee how much s/he gets paid for thinking about the place in their so-called "off" time.
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

Hmmm ... folks who work for me spend a lot of time informally kicking around ideas and/or discussing things they've found on the Web. Sometimes this leads directly to something we add or change or delete on our site, sometimes not. And as for thinking about how to do things, I'm all for spending an hour or two figuring out how to save myself (or someone else) 15 minutes a day, because that's a big net benefit. It doesn't make sense to have people turn off their brains at work; that's just a waste of resources.

ABW Ambassador
    I think on the job.

Problem is, I stop thinking about the job and start thinking about the next affiliate strategy.

I told someone about this and they suggested Strattera.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by phillyBurbs.com:
    Hmmm ... folks who work for me spend a lot of time informally kicking around ideas and/or discussing things they've found on the Web. Sometimes this leads directly to something we add or change or delete on our site, sometimes not. And as for thinking about how to do things, I'm all for spending an hour or two figuring out how to save myself (or someone else) 15 minutes a day, because that's a big net benefit. It doesn't make sense to have people turn off their brains at work; that's just a waste of resources.

http://media.phillyburbs.com/karl/oldbonk.gif <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The difference is when you are employed to think up ideas you are required to come up with them. The setting being informal makes no differece because when you don't come up with something the formal fireings start happening.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by weisinator:
    I think on the job.

Problem is, I stop thinking about the job and start thinking about the next affiliate strategy.

I told someone about this and they suggested Strattera. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I thought myself right out of a job and double the income.

Heyder:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>The setting being informal makes no differece because when you don't come up with something the formal fireings start happening. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ummmmm, not really, at least not here. Some people are better at generating ideas than others. As I look at the dynamics of my group, I know that one or two people are more likely than the others to get a brainstorming session rolling. There's one person who is much more pragmatic and tends to wait until the idea has some form before jumping in to discuss the logistics of making it happen.

I dunno ... I'm amazed at how many folks here have had such painful experiences in the workplace. That's just not how we operate here.

23. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread